Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experiencing ghost shifting during hard efforts out of the saddle, mostly on climbs..I assume it's flexing of the chain stays? Bottom bracket maybe?? Am I just to strong?? Lol...I wish... I have an 09 Fuji Roubaix with carbon seat stays.....anyone else have this issue? Is it fixable or just deal? Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a similar problem - especially when I was putting extra load on the pedals. Finally found the rear DR hanger was slightly bent. Replaced it and haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Misaligned derailleur pulleys; older chain mismatched on brand new cogs, or maybe just the indexing a little off? Does bike shift cleanly and run silently when bike is in a stand?

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
My rear derailleur just plain wore out. The rivet pivot points got way too sloppy to hold the gear firmly. I spent a ton of time and money diagnosing the issue. Nearly crushed my nuts a couple times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to run fine in the stand....I'll give the rear a look, who knows...thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check the bolt that holds your derailleur hanger to the chain stay. They can come loose and the quick release will hold them relatively tight. However, under hard efforts they will move and affect shifting. While your in there, pull the hanger off and put a dab of grease between the hanger and the frame. This will help prevent squeaks. Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten the hanger bolt or you can damage the frame.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Happened to me when the cable end was coming apart in the brifter, maybe have a look at it. A new cable returned shifting to normal.

Similar things were fixed when I lubed inner cables, or cleaned derailleur mech with WD40.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I'm experiencing ghost shifting during hard efforts out of the saddle, mostly on climbs..I assume it's flexing of the chain stays? Bottom bracket maybe?? Am I just to strong?? Lol...I wish... I have an 09 Fuji Roubaix with carbon seat stays.....anyone else have this issue? Is it fixable or just deal? Thank you!

Should be posted in 'components/wrenching' not just dropped off in GD. It's a specifically mechanical question. Use the forum the way it's set up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
As far as the cassette goes. New as brand new out of the box? A few years ago I dealt with this kind of thing way too long. I kept trying to save a buck and buy used cassettes of eBay. It wasn't until I got a cheap brand new cassette that I resolved the problem.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
It sounds like wear and tear has been ruled out. Does the ghost shifting happen only in specific rear cogs or all of them? If just specific cogs, your derailleur hanger may be bent. If it happens across the range of cogs, I would say the cable tension is just a bit too much and under load, it's trying to shift to the next larger cog. Turn this adjustment clockwise a bit, like a quarter to half turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts