Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made the switch from 9 speed Dura-Ace to Rival. Brand new 11-26 cassette, Rival Rear der, force Front and Rival shifters. I went with a Dura Ace 10 speed chain because I have had great luck with them, and read positive things about their use with SRAM bikes in here. It was flawless for about 100 miles but has developed severe ghost shifting problems when in the middle of the cogset, and the 11.

Any ideas where to start? Should I try a different chain? Cassette? I have tried starting from scratch and readjusting the rear derailleur. I do all my own wrenching but have never had this problem where resetting the rear der didn't fix.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
cable friction..

Perhaps you have a cable friction problem, either somewhere in the concealed cables or the BB cable guide.

I'd try to figure out if the ghost shifting occurs after a shift to a smaller cog. If there's excess friction, the shifts to larger cogs works fine, but when relying on spring tension to return the cable, problems develop.

I've not tested a SRAM 10 speed chain, but DA chains elongate quickly and don't have the life of a Campy chain. I tested one last year and won't buy another. In theory, they all should be cross compatible, since they are the same 5.9mm width. I'm having great luck with the KMC DX10SC right now (on a Campy drivetrain).

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive replaced the housing, and checked the area beneath the BB for stiction and it seemed fine. Plan to replace the cable next, and have ordered a new chain. Perhaps Im not describing the problem that well. Its not actually shifting, its more along the lines of jumping I would say. It happens sporadically when just cruising versus being immediately before or after a shift. I can't tell whether the chain is going up or down, or just jumping on the cassette, but both have about 150 miles on them.

· Banned
14,487 Posts
fezzy said:
Ive replaced the housing, and checked the area beneath the BB for stiction and it seemed fine. Plan to replace the cable next, and have ordered a new chain. Perhaps Im not describing the problem that well. Its not actually shifting, its more along the lines of jumping I would say. It happens sporadically when just cruising versus being immediately before or after a shift. I can't tell whether the chain is going up or down, or just jumping on the cassette, but both have about 150 miles on them.
I've had the same maddening problem exactly for over a year. Out of the blue, JRA, the damn chain starts half jumping up, then back, like it's trying to shift but not quite getting there. At least once a ride. Often several times. Brand new drivetrain on a brand new bike I'd built myself. I could NOT adjust that jump out. I tried all the normal fixes described here, and then some. Finally, the situation got so maddening I took it to the best wrench in town. He communed with the thing awhile and found I'd committed a late-night beer-soaked bike build error -- I'd used an old 8-speed PowerLink on the chain (long story).

Well. That makes sense. Easily fixed.

Naw. Next ride, same problem.

I took the bike to the second-best mechanic is town. He says 'You got a kink in your cable.' Well, huh. I'd replaced the cable already to no effect, but what he hell. I replaced the cable. Next ride, maddening jumps.

I'm just in despair. This is custom steel. Top of the line stuff hanging on it. And it's JUNK. Third-best mechanic is town says there's no problem he can find.

I go nuts over it. Jerk the essentially new cassette and chain off it, and replace both. Jump. I have a spare NIB DA derailleur on hand, so I even swap the damn derailleur. Jump.

All right. Every possible fix has been essayed, four good mechanics have worked on it (if you count me and my endless hours on the problem), and there's only one possible cuplrit that hasn't been addressed: The shifters their ownselfs. They're DA bar-ends, mounted on Paul Thumbies. Yesterday, after a maddening ride in the hills almost ruined by jumping jumping jumping. I ripped those goddamn things off and just as a test mounted a spare DA STI shifter on the bike.

Took a short test ride yesterday evening. Not a single incident. Took a longer real ride this this morning. Nothing.

I'm about to conclude there was some slop in the bar-ends that caused slight variations in the cable length they would actuate. SOMETHING about those shifters seems to have been the culprit.

This may not help you any, but I'm just here to testify that this problem can really be a frustrating tale of woe with no simple or cheap resolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.