Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Giant shop sent these pics off to Giant and am waiting to hear back about a warranty replacement - wheels are only a few months old and have seen maybe 1500-2000 KM use - no hits and certainly no falls. Hoping this gets replaced.
Textile Composite material Metal Leather Steel Fender Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Bicycle accessory Carbon Synthetic rubber Close-up Tread

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Second picture definitely looks like it was impacted with something. Or metal tire levers were used on it.
rim doesn't need to impact something to sustain such damage. OP could run a little low PSI and hit a pothole hard enough that it'd pop the bead hook and damange (all the while without having the hook actually hitting the pavement). With all the latest crazy around wide-rim-low-psi, this could happen

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
rim doesn't need to impact something to sustain such damage. OP could run a little low PSI and hit a pothole hard enough that it'd pop the bead hook and damange (all the while without having the hook actually hitting the pavement).
I'd still consider that an impact.
I agree, the rim itself doesn't have to impact something. A pinch flat scenario could easily crack a rim just like that.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Second picture definitely looks like it was impacted with something. Or metal tire levers were used on it.
That was my guess when looking at it. Looks like metal lever damage to me.

Could be impact damage too though.

Something abused the rim, that's for sure. What's also for sure is that it's toast.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have aded more to my original post:
The wheels are from a propel I bought last fall.
Ridden maybe 1500-2000 KMS
Never used levers of any kind.
I weigh 190
Run my pressure at 110 rear and 105 front - pumped up prior to each ride
Have never pinch flatted

Do you folks feel this is unsafe to ride on?
Is this just luck of the draw with a carbon rim? Like buying a new tire and you get a flat on your first ride - I guess it can happen. Or is there more to this and a high rate of risk with carbon rims?
In the past 4 seasons I have averaged maybe between5-9000 Kms on my old bikes original wheels as well as a set of Fulcrum Quatros and never had an issue with either.

Hoping warranty comes through - fingers crossed.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
The Second and Third picture definitely looks like the works of an metal object being inserted in and forcefully pulled down on the top side wall - I don't see any warranty being awarded here...:mad2:

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I wouldn't ride it. Carbon does bad things when weakened.

Warranty? Maybe. Who knows but them?

This particular case appears to be some sort of blunt force trauma, not usually how warranty claims for carbon go. Not a delamination or pull through or whatnot so not a clear cut case. The appearance of the damage might be enough for them to call it a pot hole strike or whatever and deny you, offering a crash replacement at a lower cost. Maybe not though.

Not something that's related to carbon in general, this is an isolated case. You can't and shouldn't expect this behavior normally from good carbon wheels.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Do you folks feel this is unsafe to ride on?
I wouldn't even ride around the neighborhood block on this wheel. You're lucky to be alive.

I wish you luck with the warranty, but I don't have a lot of hope for that. But you never know. Giant may feel it's better to give the benefit of the doubt, than lose a customer.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
More likely to get an offer of crash replacement discount than full warranty replacement on that one I think

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't even ride around the neighborhood block on this wheel. You're lucky to be alive.
lombard are playing around with your response are you being serious?

Srode pegged it and I was offered a crash replacement rim and they will rebuild the wheel for a discounted rate or 350.00 CAD. The guys at the shop feel it is fine to ride and that it is purely cosmetic but I a, going to take giant up on their offer - I don't know what I don't know and would rather spend money even if unecessary than play around with potentially damaged rim.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
lombard are playing around with your response are you being serious?

Srode pegged it and I was offered a crash replacement rim and they will rebuild the wheel for a discounted rate or 350.00 CAD. The guys at the shop feel it is fine to ride and that it is purely cosmetic but I a, going to take giant up on their offer - I don't know what I don't know and would rather spend money even if unecessary than play around with potentially damaged rim.
No, I am being very serious. A new wheel while expensive is still cheaper than a trip to the ER, or worse. But 350.00 CAD isn't a bad deal at all to replace that rim and rebuild your wheel. It's worth it for peace of mind.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I just don't think it's safe to chance it with damaged carbon. I'd try to get the replacement done asap.

Been watching someone ride a cracked MTB frame bike wrapped in Gorilla Tape.

So, you know, people do it. But small issues lead to large issues eventually and there could be an accident. Those aren't good.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
I just don't think it's safe to chance it with damaged carbon. I'd try to get the replacement done asap.

Been watching someone ride a cracked MTB frame bike wrapped in Gorilla Tape.

So, you know, people do it. But small issues lead to large issues eventually and there could be an accident. Those aren't good.
Yep. People do it and largely get away with it more times than not. But let's put this another way. If you were told that the plane you were boarding had a failure rate of 1%, would you get on?

Many other stupid things people do and get away with aren't a good idea either. See below.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts