Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to buy a carbon bike, but cannot afford the top of the line carbon frames out there. I have taken a look @ Canyon F10, Orbea Orca, Look (??) and am giving thought to GIANT. Local bike dealer is tyriing to peddle (no pun intended) a GIANT to me,, specifically the TCR composite LTD or the C1. If anybody out there has some thoughts on these GIANT frames, or a resaonably priced quality alternative frame, I would be glad to hear about it.

Thanks!

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
My last bike was a Giant TCR carbon frame, currently in between bikes atm. I never had one compliant with it. Super ride quailty, and climbed like a mountain goat. That being said I never did like the fact the frame comes in sizes like a shirt, Small Med Large XL. I ended up being in between sizes (M & L) ended up going with the L and always wondered how the M would have fit, but not to the point of being unhappy. As far as the quality of the bike I was impressed with the finish and the value. Gotta remember CF is a manufactured material so to a certain degree carbon fib. is carb fib. is carbon fib. Don't pay more for a name just because. Test ride everything you can and make your decision based of that info.

Deastin

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had a carbon TCR for almost 4 years now...I think..I've got the first generation. Anyway. I can't complain. I love the bike. Like Deastin said, their sizing is an issue for some people. Fortunately for me, the medium frame fits me very well.

I've test ridden an Orbea Orca in a parking lot, but that's about it...it was the lbs owner's bike. Nice bike, but I can't compare it to my TCR with such a short ride.

Test ride, test ride and ride some more. Get the bike that fits you the best.

·
Registered
30 Posts
EDBEWON said:
I have decided to buy a carbon bike...
why?

about three years ago i wanted to try carbon to see what a 15lb bike would be like: light with an air feel is interesting and cool. fun!

it definitely got me excited about biking again and doing the long hill climbs. but my TCR is no more. because of my experience with carbon for a few seasons, i am asking why you want to try it? especially the giant, which like other super light, compact geometry bikes (not just carbon, eg. ghisallo, etc.) is mostly about performance and some (like me) find them too edgy. geometry being just as important as material.

since giants are great carbon bikes, but have been around for a few years, i would recommend you get a used one (cheap) and see how you like it. hopefully you know your top tube sizing and can adapt a stem that would make it workable.

good luck.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I picked up a TCR on ebay for a good price and I enjoy riding it. Has a subtle feel but not hollow like the Trek. It may be a little soft in the bottom bracket, last bike was a Specialized Tarmac E5, and that was stiff at the BB. Being a light rider its not hardly worth mentioning, but to a bigger rider you may flex it.
Still I enjoy it, fits me nice and you can build it up light. For the price its acceptable, if only I had the $$ for an R3

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Kestrel Talon is a nice ride. I have one that's Ultegra 9 / Campy Eurus / Superlight cranks / Polar Power Kit - cost me $3718. It's my most used training bike because it has Flightdeck and Power Metering. It's also a very comfy ride, and it's geometry is better than my Cervelo Soloist.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
i've been riding my tcr comp 0 for only a few weeks, but so far i'm thrilled. I had been riding a 13 year old Cannondale 2.8 previously, and the difference between the two is night and day, with the famous CF dampening killing off all road buzz.

One question: you say your LBS is pushing a TCR Limited. Is he giving you a deal? As far as I know, there's no limited coming out in the '06 line, so you should get a decent price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Giant Tcr Frame

Thanks for information.......LBS says he can sell it to me with Shimano Ultegra set and some average wheels for about $1,700. I plan to replace handle bars and stem with possibly carbon and put on some better wheels from another bike.

Does the $1,700 sound reasonable based upon what you have seen?

Thanks!

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Well, the MSRP was 1,900$ so it's OK. You might find it cheaper somewhere else, but it;s a decent package. The big difference between the limited and the tcr comp 1 is that the comp 1 has an all carbon fork, where as the limited has an alloy steerer.

IMO aesthetically the Limited is one of the best looking of the TCRs w/2 tone fade graphics (never liked the look, even if i have one).

EDBEWON said:
Thanks for information.......LBS says he can sell it to me with Shimano Ultegra set and some average wheels for about $1,700. I plan to replace handle bars and stem with possibly carbon and put on some better wheels from another bike.

Does the $1,700 sound reasonable based upon what you have seen?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.