Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.hi
i have between 1500 and 2000 pounds to spend and these two bikes keep cropping up. i am a regular commuter cyclist and have started doing longer charity rides and triathlons. between 50 and 100 miles. not really racing minded. more leisure and charity stuff. the poor roads of london mean i used a ridgeback flight 2 hybrid to commute but any advice on the worthiness of the two bikes above ( or alternative suggestions) would be very welcome.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't know anything about the Focus Cayo Evo, but if it rides better than the Giant Defy Adv 2, it must come straight from the heavens above, because the Giant Defy Adv 2 is nothing but a sweet heavenly carpet ride on wheels.

Test ride them both, then come back and tell me anything differently...

I'm very curious, because I test rode the Defy Adv 1, just a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know anything about the Focus Cayo Evo, but if it rides better than the Giant Defy Adv 2, it must come straight from the heavens above, because the Giant Defy Adv 2 is nothing but a sweet heavenly carpet ride on wheels.

Test ride them both, then come back and tell me anything differently...

I'm very curious, because I test rode the Defy Adv 2, just a few weeks ago.
I think the Giant Defy Advanced 2 won Cycling Plus 2013 bike of the year award. I don't know if that matters in your decision =)

·
Registered
223 Posts
they are 2 very different bikes!

the defy has a very tall head tube and has relaxed geometry, so puts you in a very upright position....designed to be extremely comfortable for long days in the saddle.these bikes are sometimes described as 'plus' or 'sportive' bikes. also a good bike for the older rider.

the cayo has a much shorter head tube and therefore puts the rider in a more aero position, is more a traditional race geometry and built for speed!

i recently bought the focus izalco but tossed up between that and a giant tcr....both make great bikes and are value for $.

you just need to decide which sort of riding you will be doing an buying the appropriate type of bike.

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
they are 2 very different bikes!

the defy has a very tall head tube and has relaxed geometry, so puts you in a very upright position....designed to be extremely comfortable for long days in the saddle.these bikes are sometimes described as 'plus' or 'sportive' bikes. also a good bike for the older rider.

the cayo has a much shorter head tube and therefore puts the rider in a more aero position, is more a traditional race geometry and built for speed!

i recently bought the focus izalco but tossed up between that and a giant tcr....both make great bikes and are value for $.

you just need to decide which sort of riding you will be doing an buying the appropriate type of bike.
"Relaxed" and "very upright" are a bit misleading here, as is "older rider."

My description would be more like: "A bit less aggressive and more like what would work best for many riders even though they think they need a race bike."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Relaxed" and "very upright" are a bit misleading here, as is "older rider."

My description would be more like: "A bit less aggressive and more like what would work best for many riders even though they think they need a race bike."
Thanks for the guidance. I am an older rider ( a mighty 47!) and have no intention of racing anyone. I am just keeping fit by signing up for triathlons and London to Paris etc so a more relaxed and comfort oriented bike is probably more suited. Have booked test rides for both but any other suggestions much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for the guidance. I am an older rider ( a mighty 47!) and have no intention of racing anyone. I am just keeping fit by signing up for triathlons and London to Paris etc so a more relaxed and comfort oriented bike is probably more suited. Have booked test rides for both but any other suggestions much appreciated!
Great!

I also enjoyed the Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3. However, the Giant Defy Adv 1 stole the show! You should also try the Gran Fondo 1.3, to make your own comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.