Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to the LBS about a Giant OCR 2 and was expressing some concern about the low spoke count of the wheels (I am 239lb's and wheels have 20 spokes each) and was told by them that the wheels won't be a problem they will handle my weight with out issue.
I have read here on the forum that low spoke count wheels may be a problem for us Clydesdale, Is this guy telling me the truth or is he trying to make a sale?
I have a chance to buy a brand new OCR 2 for less than $650 but am a little concrened about the wheels.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Depends on the wheel but your general thought process is correct. Low spoke count and heavy rider = fail. When I was building my Giant TCR I put a low spoke count wheel on at first thinking I needed low spoke count wheels because all my friends had low spoke count wheel. They also weigh about 50- 100 pounds less than I do. 3 broken spokes later I got a set of Mavic Open Pro wheels with Dura Ace hubs and they have been great. That was 2000 miles ago. See if they (the LBS) will switch the wheels out or give you credit if you get the bike and order a set of higher spoke count wheels. I know there will be folks that will tell you that you can ride a low spoke count wheel and that is fine. I just wanted to give you a general rule, heavy rider, higher spoke count.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1

If the shop won't give you a credit, then shop around for a $200-$300 set of 32 spoke wheels with quality rims (Velocity is my favorite brand). Use the 32's for everyday riding, save the lo-spoke for fast rides and big events like centuries.

Also, the tires on that thing are probably 700x23. If you swap those for 25s or even 28s if they will fit the frame, then your wheels will last better and you can run lower pressure for better handling without pinch flats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.