Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice site, first post for me with the title question.

I bought a hybrid bike in 2004 after many years of not biking. Giant cypress 19", which is pretty good for the driving I do around Halifax and the dirt roads at the cottage. I weigh about 180 lbs.

I am now thinking of getting a road bike for commuting to work (8 km one way) and the occasional longer trip (45 km to cottage, paved roads). I was looking at two bikes that seem to have good support in my area:

Giant OCR2
Devinci Apex

The Giant is probably about $1150 cdn and the Devinci about $1300 cdn.

They seem similar to me, but I would appreaciate any advice - here are links to both bike specs.

http://www.devinci.com/english/velo_frame.asp?url=../2006/Eng/Bike-pages/Road/road.htm

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/cn/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2006&model=10797

· Registered
838 Posts
They're very similar. Have them both adjusted the same before testing riding, make sure the tire pressures are the same, and then buy the one that feels the best. You can also factor in which one looks cooler to you, because how you feel about the bike matters.

The Devinci is a bit higher priced, but it saves you the cost of buying clipless pedals. The Giant has a slightly wider gear range (at both ends).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a set of spare clipless pedals from the girlfriends inherited Trek. I have never ridden a bike with clipless, and was thinking I may prefer to start with toe clips and straps. Unsure about that point.

· Registered
16 Posts
if you do it now or you do it later the result will be the same. you will fall a couple times when you first go clipless then all will be good. highly recommend them. they came on my gary fisher that i bought a few years ago after not biking at all in my adult life. and i havent looked back since. and if you are worried about easy clip in, go with some of the crank brothers stuff, they have 4 way entry and an easier mechanism to get into.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Buy the DeVinci

It's Canadian (the frame is actually made in Chicoutimi).

But on the other hand...

I haven't checked the geometry, but the Giant is likely to be a little more relaxed, a little more upright, therefore may be a little more comfortable for the type of riding you describe.

But the DeVinci may be more fun to ride.

Have you tried either of them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.