Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to come off 6 weeks on crutches with a broken hip after hitting a car that pulled into my path at 25mph or so. My bike frame was destroyed. Fortunately, the driver of the car had insurance and all my expenses are covered, including bike replacement. As a result, I have a check in my hands for $7k and now have to buy a new bike. The old one - an 2005 Orbea Orca - was a terrific bike, but I'm not happy with what I've read about the 2009 version. My LBS is pushing a Giant TCR Advanced. However, they also carry both Cervelo and Cannondale, both of which have upper end models that on paper sound great. Anybody have any advice for me here - which direction should I go? On a related question, the Orca had Campy Record with a compact crank. Those components all survived, but I am thinking I will put those on a used frame, not the new bike I am going to buy. Campy now has the 11 series. My LBS suggests I forgo the extra $$ for the Record and buy the Chorus. Thoughts on that? Incidentally, although I am 53, I am in pretty good shape and love to hammer it, both on the flats and the hills.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
The 11 speed is $$$$$ alright and you're better off saving that $$$$$ and getting other accessories IMO too.

As for the bike, well, I'm sure you've been riding long enough to know that it's not what we say that matter but how you feel when you ride those bikes that mean more than anything.

So, test them out and decide which fit you better and then go from there.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I rode many bikes in my quest and found the TCR advanced to be the best combo of speed and comfort. Its light and stiff yet comfy. I have about a 1000 miles on it this spring and I am constantly amazed by it. I am near your age and while I like to hammer as much as I can, I am not 18 and don't like to be beaten to death. You really should ride it if you get the chance. I bought frame only and transfered all my dura ace 7800 to it. I couldnt find a comfy fit on the S3 so I cant do a direct comparison.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
cj6855 said:
I'm about to come off 6 weeks on crutches with a broken hip after hitting a car that pulled into my path at 25mph or so. My bike frame was destroyed. Fortunately, the driver of the car had insurance and all my expenses are covered, including bike replacement. As a result, I have a check in my hands for $7k and now have to buy a new bike. The old one - an 2005 Orbea Orca - was a terrific bike, but I'm not happy with what I've read about the 2009 version. My LBS is pushing a Giant TCR Advanced. However, they also carry both Cervelo and Cannondale, both of which have upper end models that on paper sound great. Anybody have any advice for me here - which direction should I go? On a related question, the Orca had Campy Record with a compact crank. Those components all survived, but I am thinking I will put those on a used frame, not the new bike I am going to buy. Campy now has the 11 series. My LBS suggests I forgo the extra $$ for the Record and buy the Chorus. Thoughts on that? Incidentally, although I am 53, I am in pretty good shape and love to hammer it, both on the flats and the hills.
Are you open to any other frame?
Look, Time, Ridley, Trek, they all make pretty good frames.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I were you I would get the Cervelo R3 - you can ride it all day, it's light, absorbs road bumps well, is the tour de france winning bike that Sastre rode last year, and cervelos are THE stiffest bikes out there. I would put campy chorus on, and a set of easton ea90 slx wheels on. That would kill on hills, sprints and normal rolling terrain.

·
COMER
604 Posts
I ride a new S3 with Zipp 404's and SRAM Red. It's my third Cervelo, I had a SLC and an RS. I love the S3 it is fast like the SLC with a compliant ride in the back like the RS and the R3 (I've got quite a few miles on an R3 too). You are limited on wheel selection.

I like the Giants too, my son had a TCR SL, but I just couldn't ever get comfortable on it, size M/L. It is a nice riding bike though and handles well.

I ride a 56 S3.

Can't go wrong with either, good luck and stay safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts