Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, are there any Giant TCR Advanced with ISP owners out there?

I haven't ridden carbon fiber bike before and I'm still skeptical about carbon fiber. I'm very worried if the ride is not lively. I own a Colnago Master X Light (steel frame) with Dura Ace 7700 groupset. The bike is still in perfect condition. I have kept it in very good condition.

Problem is, every time I go to bike shops, I see so many new carbon bikes. This Giant TCR Advanced with Integrated Seat Post (ISP) looks really great. There aren't many reviews out there so I don't know if it is any good. Plus, it's Giant.... it's not a Colnago or any well known brand. Correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps Giant is very good. It's just that the market hasn't really accepted it yet or their brand name hasn't lifted yet.

I would really like to get some reviews/comparisons of the bikes that you have ridden in the past. ie. Trek vs Giant TCR Advanced ISP. Colnago C40 vs Giant TCR Advanced ISP.

·
Registered
902 Posts
cavinsoo said:
Plus, it's Giant.... it's not a Colnago or any well known brand. Correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps Giant is very good.
Exactly how much effort did you put into a search for reviews? Giant just held a media camp to unveil the 2009 road bikes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2008/features/giant_launch_08
http://www.velonews.com/article/78810/technical-editor-matt-pacocha-reports-on-giant-s-lineup-for
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6005&status=True

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's a Giant, so its not any good?

If that were the case High Road and T-Mobile/Telekom before them wouldn't have been using them for the last 4+ years. Giant makes an excelent bike and their top range is comparable with anything the French or Italian carbon builders are pumping out. Everyone thought they were crazy for introducing compact geometery, but ride one and you will see what makes it so great. The geometery makes it handle like a super car.

I have a 2007 Giant TCR Advanced with the conventional seatpost and it is the nicest bike I've ever owned. Several of my team mates ride the ISP model and they constantly sing its praises, as I do of mine. I've ridden steel, steel/carbon, aluminum, and aluminum/carbon bikes and none of them compare to the Giant. Excelent power transfer and superior vibration dampening.

There's tons of info on the web about the new 2009 series. Read some and you will see that Giant is a very well known brand producing excelent products. Then go get one, and join us on the road!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Riding a bike like that is subjective. Giant is the # 2 brand in the world as far as sales go I believe. The bike are designed here and built in Taiwan. I have just the plain TCR and I love the bike. You should probably get out and test drive a few on for size. Not too many folks I know who own one will say it is the biggest POS after investing a few grand in the frame alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't test drive a Giant at the official Giant dealer here in Melbourne, Australia. They do not allow prospective customers to try their bikes. It's hard to believe that I couldn't try a product that is worth thousands of dollars before purchasing especially at the official Giant store.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
cavinsoo said:
I couldn't test drive a Giant at the official Giant dealer here in Melbourne, Australia. They do not allow prospective customers to try their bikes. It's hard to believe that I couldn't try a product that is worth thousands of dollars before purchasing especially at the official Giant store.

Yeah that is a bunch of crap unless they are worried about crashing it or just riding off into the sunset. Tell them you are interested in purchasing one and if they still say no then I suggest you tell them you will be going to another shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even a Blind Pig Finds an Acorn Once in Awhile

I just got a used OCR C2 and I could not be happier. I lucked out on this find. I think you'll find that Giant is not as well known as some makers, but from what I've read the Giant plant in Taiwan makes most of the bike frames out there anyhow. Obviously difference in design and geometry is different from brand to brand even if they are made by Giants plant. But I have yet to run into anyone who is unhappy with a Giant bike they've bought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called a number of shops in Melbourne today. The best quote I got on the phone without bargaining is AUD$5400 for a Giant TCR Advanced 0 with ISP that comes with full Dura Ace groupset, Dura Ace 7801 C50 carbon tubular wheelset.

I still believe the bike wouldn't cost that must.

The wheelset can be obtained for AUD$1900.
Dura Ace 7800 groupset can be obtained for AUD$1100.

Deducting those prices from the bike, the frameset seemed to cost around AUD$2400. Is a Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP frameset worth that much??

Well, let's say I can get the price down to AUD$5000. Still the frameset costs AUD$2000. Is it worth AUD$2000?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thats cheap for a top of the line race frame which is what you are buying, try lygon cycles i bought my giant from there and they let me test ride it. i know the guys at Flemington cycles and they are a great bunch of guys and im sure if you want to test ride it youu could there. if not head out to rivera cycles in bairnsdale and chat with jacko he used to own a isp giant and im sure he could give some adive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Yeap, I will spend this Saturday checking out Lygon Cycles, Flemington Cycles and Rivera Cycles. All these shops I haven't visited before.

By the way, could there be any frame that can be better than Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP? I know it's very subjective. But I would like to know some comparisons. I still don't know if there is any C40, C50 or Extreme-C users who switched to GIANT and very happy about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tested a few bikes today. GIANT TCR Advance Team with Dura Ace groupset & a low end Shimano wheelset.It's pretty disappointing. The wheels and tires ruined most of the test. I couldn't really judge if the bike is any better than my existing bike (Colnago Master X Light + Dura Ace + Ksyrium wheelset). There is a difference but it's not huge. There is no quantum leap. I was expecting carbon frames to be really really good and a ride on them wouldn't make me think twice. However it wasn't the case. Very disappointed. The only difference I notice is the very stiff BB. Great power transfer.

Also, I tested LOOK 555 with Shimano Ultegra & very very low end Mavic Aksium wheelset fitted with some very very cheap tires. It was horrible. I expected more. Again, it's the wheelset that ruined the whole test.

I went to Lygon Cycles (in Melbourne, Australia) for the test ride. Andy is a very nice guy. I was shocked when he said I can test ride any bike I want. Amazing! I have never been to a bike shop like this. If I'm going to get something, I'm going back to that shop.

Anyway, it was a disappointing day. As I said, I was expecting a quantum leap from my Colnago Master X Light to high end carbon frames. It didn't happen. :-( Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a real test would be to ride for 50-100km instead of 1km outside the shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.