Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey

i currently ride an '05 Giant TCR Composite(zero) frameset, built up to my own spec (incl DuraAce 10spd, FSA SLK crankset, Ksyrium ES clinchers, carbon finishing kit). i weigh in around 150lbs kitted out, and ride only recreationally with most rides around 50~100km.

i also have a custom-spec'ed Giant OCR (aluminium front triangle, composite rear and forks), and was thinking of selling this frame, swapping the componentry from the OCR (Ultegra 10spd) onto the TCR, then transferring the gear off the TCR onto a new frame.

my eye is on a Pinarello F4:13. i have seen one but not ridden (cos the lbs did not have my size), and it looks gorgeous. my research suggests it's a smidge heavier and should be stiffer. stiffness has not been a concern with the TCR, though i have found the OCR to feel more 'solid' on the road, so hoping the F4:13 would feel similarly solid. whether this relates to the stiffness or the wheelset/other, i'm unsure. some people have reported that the F4:13 can be overly stiff and fatiguing if the wheelset is similarly stiff.

in a way, i would be changing 'because i can' as much as anything. i have a penchant for all things italian (i drive an alfa ;) ). like an alfa vs a lexus, i don't necessarily think the alfa is a better car in terms of performance and features, but to me it's an overall better package and a bit more exotic (i live in australia *rolls eyes* ).

can anyone shed light on what i may expect between a Giant TCR Composite and Pinarello F4:13? is there going to be a significant objective difference or is it mostly subjective? 'better' or just 'different'?

oh, i hope pinarello fan's won't be offended if i run shimano on the bike. :cool:

thanks for any input. :)

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feedback. :)

indeed, as far as i know, the frames (monocoque front and rear tube sections) are made in taiwan where most of the world's high-end carbon frames are made. then they are shipped to italy where the complete frame is assembled and finished.

ER47: that's all good to know (i've searched out and read all your previous posts, thanks :) ). unfortunately here in australia, the F4:13 is no where near just a "few dollars more". well, the gap between the TCR Advanced would be narrower, but a normal TCR frame is around AUS$2000+ (i bought mine on special for AUS$1250), whereas an F4:13 is AUS$4000+ retail. :eek: i think i'd be lucky to buy it for well under AUS$4K, so it's still over triple what i've paid for my TCR.

WF ('wife factor'; well, not my wife...yet) is the major issue now. just gotta work on that one... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.