Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am very much a cycling amateur and would like some help with confirming the year and model of this Giant TCR pictured. I purchased this recently from a gentlemen who informed me it is a 2016 model. On servicing the bike recently, I was informed that this is incorrect and would be circa 2008 model.. If anyone could please assist with confirming this, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Crankset

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest starting here.

Bike Archive | Giant Bicycles US

I know that Trek has a place where you can enter the serial number and get all the tech info, I would think Giant has the same.
Thank you - yes I've had a search. I still cannot pinpoint the exact frame model.
If anyone knows how to decode the Giant serial and frame number, here it is below:

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive tire Grille

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,429 Posts
What difference would it make?
I would take that yellow piece of shit off and see if the seat post is cracked.
You're getting as bad a No Time Toulouse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
What’s the yellow thing on the seat post? A frame is a frame. It doesn’t matter practically, carbon fiber doesn’t expire. That’s a decent frame and group. It matters to some extent in what you paid for it, but this is the research you do BEFORE you buy it, now after. But again, it really doesn’t make any practical difference. Ride it.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of him on the frame, in gear, pedals at 9 oclock, leaning against a wall. Why is an ametuer buying a bike with carbon wheels, then is worried about what year it is before he even gets it out on the road?
That is a coffee shop bike, he drives there in his car, in gear, takes it out of the car, walks up to the cafe' and sets it ag'in the fence while he get's his latte'.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of him on the frame, in gear, pedals at 9 oclock, leaning against a wall. Why is an ametuer buying a bike with carbon wheels, then is worried about what year it is before he even gets it out on the road?
That is a coffee shop bike, he drives there in his car, in gear, takes it out of the car, walks up to the cafe' and sets it ag'in the fence while he get's his latte'.
That ain’t any actual cyclist, you can always tell by the pics they post. Generally useless. BUT, that’s a TCR with what I’m guessing is DA900 group and Cosmic aluminum wheels? Are those CF? mine are Al. Heavy as hell but bullet proof solid. That is a nice build right there. Of course if it doesn’t fit it’s useless. What size? What did he pay? That build is worth a few bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,824 Posts
That ain’t any actual cyclist, you can always tell by the pics they post......What did he pay? That build is worth a few bucks.
DID he pay, or was this a case of "Five Finger Discount"? Regardless, I'm not gonna help him; let him learn these thing for himself if he's interested in becoming a road cyclist, and let him go to hell if he's just a bike thief.

Oh, BTW, I'd take that yellow shit off the seat post too, to check it for the same reason. IF it's harboring a big old crack (and IF you've actually paid for it), what you have is a donor bike for components to put onto a new frame....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice bike. I would want to know also. My guess would be 2010-2014 but that is just a guess. Call Giant at 1-800-US-GIANT or email them the serial number. From my experience most bike manufactures are happy to assist in this type of info.
Also there are a handful of dickheads on this forum...just ignore them
Thank you I appreciate the constructive advice. I've been riding a road bike for just over 2.5 years on an old Trek Madone. Loved the bike, but I have been looking for a while for an upgrade to improve my riding and compete in my 3rd triathlon shortly. The bike pictured I purchased from an experienced who said it was a 2016. It's a tidy bike and I trusted his word. It was my mistake to not research it a little further. I may have paid overs but I'll cop that. Anyway, I've taken it for two rides though I am just curious on the year. I was sized up late last year and the bike is a good fit.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Thank you I appreciate the constructive advice. I've been riding a road bike for just over 2.5 years on an old Trek Madone. Loved the bike, but I have been looking for a while for an upgrade to improve my riding and compete in my 3rd triathlon shortly. The bike pictured I purchased from an experienced who said it was a 2016. It's a tidy bike and I trusted his word. It was my mistake to not research it a little further. I may have paid overs but I'll cop that. Anyway, I've taken it for two rides though I am just curious on the year. I was sized up late last year and the bike is a good fit.
Congrats! That’s a very nice bike! Well done! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,429 Posts
You're getting as bad a No Time Toulouse. :rolleyes:
DID he pay, or was this a case of "Five Finger Discount"? Regardless, I'm not gonna help him; let him learn these thing for himself if he's interested in becoming a road cyclist, and let him go to hell if he's just a bike thief.

Oh, BTW, I'd take that yellow shit off the seat post too, to check it for the same reason. IF it's harboring a big old crack (and IF you've actually paid for it), what you have is a donor bike for components to put onto a new frame....
Well no, nowhere near as bad as No Time Toulouse. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hard to tell with non-original parts on it, Bontrager bar , Mavic wheels etc.

It might be a 2016:

It looks like this minus the blue Giant writing on the downtube:

It could be a warranty replacement frame with a different colourway.

Did you try entering the serial number into the Giant website?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts