Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wanting a Trek Madone 5.9 for so long, I was persuaded to buy a Giant TCR Zero by the bike store owner (a friend of mine). As an upgrade from the Giant OCR 2, I can't really complain, although after all the hype I personally made after the Madone, I'm not as expected as I should be. However, I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on the possible upgrades on the Giant TCR Zero, mainly to shed weight. I couldn't get the TCR Advanced, because of the limitations on frame size.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
sounds like you're bummed out to have a top bike. what's with that? maybe yo should bring it back and get the madone if that's what you really want.

if you keep it, then i'd suggest swapping the fsa cranks for DA. that's what i did.

MacMyDay said:
After wanting a Trek Madone 5.9 for so long, I was persuaded to buy a Giant TCR Zero by the bike store owner (a friend of mine). As an upgrade from the Giant OCR 2, I can't really complain, although after all the hype I personally made after the Madone, I'm not as expected as I should be. However, I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on the possible upgrades on the Giant TCR Zero, mainly to shed weight. I couldn't get the TCR Advanced, because of the limitations on frame size.
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
you sound dissapointed.....

However, you shouldn't be.
the Madone, IMHO is an overrated bike. My wife has a OCLV and my buddy has a TCR. I think again, IMHO that the TCR is a better frame. My buddy has Dura Ace 10 on his TCR and Rolf elans, with Zero Gravity Stainless brakes. He doesn't have a light weight post bar or stem and he still comes in at a hair under 16lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
However, you shouldn't be.
the Madone, IMHO is an overrated bike. My wife has a OCLV and my buddy has a TCR. I think again, IMHO that the TCR is a better frame. My buddy has Dura Ace 10 on his TCR and Rolf elans, with Zero Gravity Stainless brakes. He doesn't have a light weight post bar or stem and he still comes in at a hair under 16lbs.
My friend (bike store owner) said pretty much the same thing. He reckons Trek's (high-end) are 20-30% overpriced, because of the Lance effect. Now, I'm not disappointed in getting the TCR over the Madone 5.9, as spec wise it is better (for me), but I'm sure you can kinda see what I mean, as I got something better, but not what I wanted, as I made such a hype over the Madone 5.9 in the first place. In England, the Zero is £250 less than the Madone 5.9, so I only see it as a worthwhile investment. However, as it's such an expensive bike, I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't get the "best" - the TCR Advanced. So, this thread is really just to see what other TCR riders upgraded to.

The main reason I purchased the bike is to do a solo 1000 mile bike ride in 5 days. That's suddenly when losing all that weight matters! I've currently got some Look Keo Carbon pedals to shed some extra weight on that side of things.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
you're in the UK? then save some cash and fly over to the US and buy the advanced. my TCR 0 worked out at 2000$ cheaper than the msrp for a UK tcr comp 0.

that said, i assume your friend gave you a good price :rolleyes:

one question - are you a long time rider, or a newbie? if you're new, then i seriously doubt you'll notice the difference between an advanced and a tcr comp anyway


MacMyDay said:
My friend (bike store owner) said pretty much the same thing. He reckons Trek's (high-end) are 20-30% overpriced, because of the Lance effect. Now, I'm not disappointed in getting the TCR over the Madone 5.9, as spec wise it is better (for me), but I'm sure you can kinda see what I mean, as I got something better, but not what I wanted, as I made such a hype over the Madone 5.9 in the first place. In England, the Zero is £250 less than the Madone 5.9, so I only see it as a worthwhile investment. However, as it's such an expensive bike, I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't get the "best" - the TCR Advanced. So, this thread is really just to see what other TCR riders upgraded to.

The main reason I purchased the bike is to do a solo 1000 mile bike ride in 5 days. That's suddenly when losing all that weight matters! I've currently got some Look Keo Carbon pedals to shed some extra weight on that side of things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Price wasn't the issue, I needed the 58cm frame size, and it only goes up to 55.5cm for the Advanced. The Zero I got was actually the last one available in the UK. Naturally, a bike like that doesn't sell many.

I've been road riding since 2004, so I wouldn't consider myself a long time rider, although I used to cycle 50 miles a day (before setting up my company which has severely ruined all aspects of life!) and would do 100 mile bike rides on Saturdays. But, as I'm reminded, I'm going from a bike that weighs 25 pounds to one that weighs just 16, from Ultegra to Dura-Ace. It's not going to be a disappointment regardless, but for the 1000 mile bike ride, less weight the better.

But, yes, my friend gave me a very nice price ;)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top