Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Grabbed a '13 Giant TCX advanced sl canti frame over the weekend with the mind toward turning it into a gravel bike which got me thinking. With the proper gearing is there any reason why this wouldn't make a serviceable platform for a crit or road race bike? Geometry of it doesn't seem too radical.. Pretty sure Lars Boom rode this model during the PR a couple years ago so if it's good enough for him I assume it would be more than good enough for me too..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grabbed a '13 Giant TCX advanced sl canti frame over the weekend with the mind toward turning it into a gravel bike which got me thinking. With the proper gearing is there any reason why this wouldn't make a serviceable platform for a crit or road race bike? Geometry of it doesn't seem too radical.. Pretty sure Lars Boom rode this model during the PR a couple years ago so if it's good enough for him I assume it would be more than good enough for me too..
Someone has to have an opinion on this out there..?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Someone has to have an opinion on this out there..?
You are correct. The geometry is not too radical, for a cross bike. Nonetheless, it is not a crit bike. I can see using my TCX as a do-it-all bike for recreational riding but for road racing my Cervelo road bikes are lighter, lower, more aerodynamic and more responsive for maneuvering.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I had a TCX which I adjusted the gearing for, and used as a road bike, even doing a few centuries on it.

I will tell you that while the geometry is not radical, the small differences do count. I am much more comfortable on longer rides with my Defy Advanced Pro 0, and less back discomfort. I had some discomfort (no major pain) after around 65 to 70 miles on the TCX.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turned out the Giant I ended up grabbing the previous guy who had it was a bit too enthusiastic cutting the seat tube to the point I can't really fit it.. If anyone has a trek boone or giant tcx (without a super cut seat tube) canti frame lying around please let me know..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts