Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a mountain biker looking for a road bike for endurance and sprint training. I don't know very much about road bikes (but I'm not completely ignorant), and I've only had about 5 parking lot test rides. I've narrowed down my choices to a Giant TCR 1 composite, a Litespeed Solano, or a Cervelo Soloist Team (all come with the Ultegra grouppo for the most part). These bikes are all in the $2500 to $2700 price range. A LBS is willing to get me onto the Giant for $2000. I've never ridden a full carbon frame, but I did compare a full Ti bike with a Ti/carbon seat stay bike, and I really liked the feel of the carbon seat stay bike. My roadie friends keep showing me other bikes, but it's just confusing me more. I checked the reviews on the bikes I'm considering, and the feedback is generally favorable. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have regarding these bikes, since I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide what to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Cervelo Prodigy

thegood said:
Hi. I'm a mountain biker looking for a road bike for endurance and sprint training. I don't know very much about road bikes (but I'm not completely ignorant), and I've only had about 5 parking lot test rides. I've narrowed down my choices to a Giant TCR 1 composite, a Litespeed Solano, or a Cervelo Soloist Team (all come with the Ultegra grouppo for the most part). These bikes are all in the $2500 to $2700 price range. A LBS is willing to get me onto the Giant for $2000. I've never ridden a full carbon frame, but I did compare a full Ti bike with a Ti/carbon seat stay bike, and I really liked the feel of the carbon seat stay bike. My roadie friends keep showing me other bikes, but it's just confusing me more. I checked the reviews on the bikes I'm considering, and the feedback is generally favorable. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have regarding these bikes, since I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide what to buy.
Have you considered the Prodigy (or I guess they have the super-prodigy now)? Anyway, I have one and love it - and I got it for way less that $2,500. FWIW
 

·
1/2 roadie 1/2 offroad
Joined
·
51 Posts
The sad thing about your situation and most new bike purchase is that the local LBS does not let you take the bike out of the parking lot. Since you have narrowed it down to three, I would try and get them to let you test ride it for at least ten miles and twenty if they will let you. Kind of hard to tell from a parking lot test ride. Yea, I know it sucks as I have purchased all my bikes in a similar fashion.

I myself just picked up a Litespeed Hyperion which is an aluminum frame with carbon/Ti enhanced seat stays with carbon fork. Stiff as heck but still has a great ride to it. Very comfy. Just as comfy as my old steel Lemond but much more responsive, stiff and efficient. All those bikes you listed are great bikes. The Litespeed will be more durable as it has not paint and is a Ti bike. The Litespeed Ti SHOULD cary a life time warranty on the frame where as the other bike probably do not. I know my Hyperion only has a five year warranty on it since it is NOT a Ti bike. I have heard that the Giant full carbons are sweet rides. The giant was my number one choice until I got my Hyperion because it gives you the most bang for the buck. I got my hyperion because I got it for about 40% off of MSRP and it fit what I was looking for. With that kind of savings it gave me extra cash to replace my aging road cycling accessories such as shoes pedals etc.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Super prodigy about $2000,nice steel bike with crap calipers. Litespeed now has a $2000 ti bike,pretty nice with ultegra except 105 BB and chain.
Giant TCR 1 Carbon,real nice with ultegra,FSA crank and Mavic Elite wheelset,$2500. I think it even comes with time pedals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Go for the Giant and don't look back

As long as you get the right fit, this is the best value out there today in CF road bikes. Make sure you get properly fit. Since the shop will not let you take it out of the lot, make sure you go back as many times as needed to fine tune the fit. The TCR is a light, stiff, comfortable, and fast ride. You'll love it. As you get more into riding on the road (and you will) you can upgrade wheels and components. The frame is a keeper. Good luck.
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
MerckxMad said:
As long as you get the right fit, this is the best value out there today in CF road bikes. Make sure you get properly fit. Since the shop will not let you take it out of the lot, make sure you go back as many times as needed to fine tune the fit. The TCR is a light, stiff, comfortable, and fast ride. You'll love it. As you get more into riding on the road (and you will) you can upgrade wheels and components. The frame is a keeper. Good luck.
What would you want to upgrade on the TCR1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I am currently deciding between a Giant TCR Composite 1 and a Lemond Victoire. The Giant is lighter however only has a 5 year frame warantee wheras the Lemond has a lifetime warantee. Its a tough choice but somebody has to make it :D
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
The LeMond is nice but isnt it about 800 bucks more? Here the TCR1 is $2499
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies - two more questions

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'm gonna get the Giant TCR-1 composite because of the deal ($2000). My only concern is that I haven't ridden it. My LBS didn't have my size in stock. I did ride a TCR (aluminum) in my size, and it felt fine. I'm a newbie to road biking, so I don't know what I should be looking for in fit...any thoughts on fit? Also, the Giant carbon frames are warrantied for 5 years...do I need to be more gentle with a carbon bike? Thanks.
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
thegood said:
Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'm gonna get the Giant TCR-1 composite because of the deal ($2000). My only concern is that I haven't ridden it. My LBS didn't have my size in stock. I did ride a TCR (aluminum) in my size, and it felt fine. I'm a newbie to road biking, so I don't know what I should be looking for in fit...any thoughts on fit? Also, the Giant carbon frames are warrantied for 5 years...do I need to be more gentle with a carbon bike? Thanks.
Just ride and dont worry about it. Make sure its the right size,thats the most important,its got to be right and the lbs should work with you on that and not just,inseam and standover and thats it. If you liked the alum,you'll love the carbon. Giant is a bit different in sizes,s m lg instead of 48cm-60cm in sizes so its even more important getting the size right. Really push your concern on fitting at the lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
shokhead said:
The LeMond is nice but isnt it about 800 bucks more? Here the TCR1 is $2499
Here in the U.K. my local LBS is selling the Lemond Victoire (2004) and
TCR Composite1 (2004) for the same price £2699.
Sounds like you are getting getting a great deal on the Giant in the U.S. as that price would equate to £1250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
You need to ride the bike you buy for at least 5 miles..

to know whether you like it. I mountain bike but some of my friends recently started road biking to build stamina. The first ride I joined them with my 27.5 lb steel bike and almost died trying to keep with the group.

Then the purchase saga. I tried at least 15 bikes in the 1500 to 3000 range. I decided from reading reviews ihere that I would buy the Giant TCR composite. I rode one for 3 mile and returned to the shop. The owner recommended a Cannondale R2000 and I test rode it. Within 200 yards I had to go back ask him why the Cannondale flet so stable and why the front end gave me confidence. I then compared the Cannondale to other bikes and eventually bought a Cannondale R3000.

I am not recommendiing you buy a Cannondale instead of the Giant. You have to test the bike for yourself. "One man's folly is another man's wife" . Others may feel much more confident on the Giant and can not understand my love of the R3000. I am not right and they are not wrong. Buy the bikel you know is right for you. (Assuming money is important)

P.S. Next ride I was waiting for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BaadDawg said:
You sure the $2000 is not for the TCR2? Even so its a great bike. I have last year's 2003 composite 1.
The price is for a TCR1 Composite (retail $2599)...I'm getting a complete bike brand new everything stock minus the Time Impact S pedals for $2050 (tax included). I'm buying it from Performance bike.
 

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
Make sure you join team performance before you buy it if you havent joined already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shokhead said:
Make sure you join team performance before you buy it if you havent joined already.
Yeah, I'm already a member...in fact, it was a big factor in what I decided to buy. Will use the team performance bucks for the new niterider helmet light. Thanks for all the good advice!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
you must have a good relationship with them cause they quoted me alot more than that, i've been looking at the trc2 comp for around 2000. wish i could get a deal like that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Local Giant dealer sells the 04 tcr composite 2 bike for 1840 before 6% tax.
I might sell my barely used Orbea Lobular Carbon to make room for another Giant (Giant mtb fan, kinda), but I've been riding what is arguably the best carbon frame in the business.... a Calfee, so I dunno if I want another one.

What I should do is get a titanium, but that's a whole other issue.

But the composite 2 is a nice ride for the price.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top