Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Hey, where's Perry?
53 Posts
These guys have my attention as well. Looking for first-hand experiences, hoping others chime in.

(Insert popcorn emoticon here...)

·
Registered
460 Posts
It is labelled "beta" on the site. That means they are trying to work out the kinks.
GoDaddy owns the WHOIS:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: GIANTNERD.COM
Created on: 25-Sep-05
Expires on: 25-Sep-14
Last Updated on: 12-Aug-09

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration [email protected]
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

The website posts contact info:

Giantnerd®
SuperSweet Showroom
2897 Mapleton Ave.
720-881-8120
1-877-731-6051

Probably safe, but release you are their guinea pig.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
was thinking tommasso with the force or ace group. save big money and i heard the frames were ok, not great just ok. almost worth the money for the groupsets alone. heavy heavy discounting, as good as, maybe better than bikes direct. tough to tell about quality, the aluminum frames use a relatively high grade, the carbon not the best, but a good weave. i almost jumped, but when i read about the guy and tthe CRACKED frame, it gave me pause. i wanted the force derailleur, but a cracked carbon frame, for me, at least is bad news.

crack in a carbon frame leads in a number of different directions. first it makes me wonder, if i get one is it gonna be damaged.. only way to be sure, really, is to have it inspected by a professional at a shop after it is delivered. then, god forbid, have to send it back to giantnerd, which is where i understand the problems really begin. if you have a crack in carbon and dont detect it, it will get progressively worse until one day, well, i think we have all seen what happens to carbon when it fails. it fails radically and dangerously, as in splintering and splitting into sharp, jagged edges. add those two factors together and you get significant risk in ordering online from giant, i even took it from a reliable source, then independently confirmed by an objective party (me) that, to an extent, gn actually writes a lot of its own reviews. not too cool.

plus, i talk to tommasso riders about their bikes, and after dropping such considerable bread on high end equipment, you would expect people to be raving. not so. i mean, they dont seem UNhappy, but rarely are they enthusiastic, which i'm looking for an eager endorsement. altogether i am not completely ruling gn out; i want a carbon frame with force, or maybe ace, could be a great deal, its tempting as f*ck, almost get value for the groupset alone. just not sure its safe yet...

·
Hey, where's Perry?
53 Posts
I'm not aiming up the food chain as highly as as easyridernyc. I don't even own a road bike. If it take the plunge, it will be for something more entry-level, and I will post my experiences here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered some small things from them and I received what I purchased in new condition as expected. However, I probably would have been able to have gotten a better deal through ribble or pbk,

It seems that the website is owned by http://www.rscycle.com/ which I think has more reviews?

·
Registered
103 Posts
A good friend of mine bought a Tommaso road bike from them - I don't remember the model but full CF and ultegra components - I think it was 1200 or 1300 bucks but don't want to take the time to look it up. Awesome deal, plus he got 10% cash back to be used at giantnerd.com so he ended up getting ultegra pedals for free as well. I don't know if that was a deal at the time or if they always have that cash back thing.

Anyway, he had them build it for I think 50 bucks, and it came in less than a week and all he had to do for assembly was put the wheels on and attach the handlebars to the stem, free shipping, tuned perfectly. He hasn't had a single issue with the bike in the maybe 6 months he's had it. It's pretty sweet and he had no issues whatsoever with the site.

·
Registered
460 Posts
randomguy2 said:
I ordered some small things from them and I received what I purchased in new condition as expected. However, I probably would have been able to have gotten a better deal through ribble or pbk,

It seems that the website is owned by http://www.rscycle.com/ which I think has more reviews?
Tomasso is an in-house brand, so you are probably correct.

As posted before, if you want to start a bike brand you can order an off the shelf Asian frame, send it to a graphics place to have your logo thrown on it and wallah, you just started a bike brand.

If you want to find off the shelf frames, this is a good place to start:
http://www.biketaiwan.com/

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it is the same owners of rscycle, Im not giving my business to crooks. Long story short, through company #1 giving inventory to company#2 owned by their son, selling that inventory below cost. Then the production facility comes asking for payment from Company #1, which is broke.

Company #2 promises to back the warrantee for product. Weeks later, product name gets sold off to highest bidder. Company #2 then says they will not take warrantee claims as they do not own rights to the brand, but offers and sells off spare frames/parts for those with cracked frames.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=508659

The link to the whole story is buried/lost somewhere...but is referred to somewhere there

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is almost a year later, but i found GiantNerd to be a really customer oriented company and very willing to take responsibility for issues that come up. Just got a Tommaso Velocita Force for $1100 and while it had sustained shipping damage and had some issues with the build, they really did make it up to me. Still in the process of working out a few kinks with them, but hey, i got a great, light, stiff bike with awesome components (minus the tires) for half of what i could find an SRAM Force setup anywhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tommaso experience; I just bought a Tommaso CORVO (2.0) SRAM APEX Road Bike from Giantnerd.
From what I can tell; Giantnerd, Randall Scott are ether the same company or closely related. It also looks like they own or have exclusive rights to the Tommaso Bike Brand. The reason this is important is at the end of the day the warranty is only as good as the business that is providing it. So if Giantnerd goes out of business and my frame cracks I am SOL. Knowing the above risk I still decided to purchase my bike from Giantnerd. Another point in Giantnerd’s favor was that they also sold through Amazon which I thought that to sell through Amazon you have to pass some sort of business viability test or something.
I ordered my bike on a Sunday and it arrived at my house on a Thursday, I was able to track online. I did get the Genius Build so all I had to do was install the front wheel and the seat post and install my own peddles. There is a set of Allen wrenches that are taped to the inside of the box.
There was no instructions in the box and the reflectors that were provided do not fit anywhere on the bike. The manual that came with the bike is a generic bike manual that could be used for any bike made, I found it worthless. The manual did say that the saddle height should be adjusted so that when the down peddle is aligned with the seat post your leg should be fully extended which is not what is recommended in the many online bike fitting websites. Another issue is there are two Corvo frames, 1.0 and 2.0, I was to supposed to get the 2.0; when you look at the specs on the Giantnerd website its says that the 1.0 comes with a white seat post and white stem which my bike has, so I thought I got a 1.0 frame by mistake. I did call Giantnerd and they did answer under a minute and they told me that the 2.0 frames now come with white seat post and white stems and that how you can tell a 2.0 frame is that the head tube is wider at the bottom which mine is.
For what it matters I am no bike expert by any means so take my bike review with a grain of salt but so far the bikes seems perfect. I took my bike on the paved bike trails around the great city of Pittsburgh Pa and had no issues. The bike feels very light and is very fast. I do chuckle when I see comments about a few grams of weight on a bike when I can lose up to 4 pounds of water weight after a 2 hour ride.
About Me: I am 50 years old , 6’5” 245lb and my occupation is a Sales Engineer.
For those of you still agonizing over going online or to a local bike shop; I wanted to provide my personal experience of buying a road bike online instead of a local bike shop (LBS). First of all I am a DIY type of person and don’t think bike maintenance is rocket science. There seems to a plethora of web sites that provide ether videos or how to instructions on how to fix or adjust bike components.
All these factors weighed on my decision to buy online instead of a LBS. I do see a lot of comments about you should always ride a bike first before you buy it but from what I can tell if you get the correct frame size then you can adjust things such as saddle up and down and front and back and if that does not do the trick you can get a adjustable handlebar stem that provides even more options for a comfortable fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad experience - poor assembly

I recently bought a mountain bike from them and you have to have them assemble it if you want their warrentee. The second time out the back tire popped out and the wheel was seriously bent. Shop couldn't fix it so I instant message their customer service to get replacement wheel. After they dropped the IM session once they promised to get back to me today.

STICK WITH THE LOCAL SHOPS! :mad2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ordered some pedals from them last Friday, and am still waiting for them to be shipped. According to their site, if they receive the order before the daily cut-off, it should ship that day, which it did not. Finally today, 4 business days later I get the FedEx tracking number, but according to FedEx the package has yet to be received. I have tried to contact them, but no one answers, and emails are not returned.
If you can wait until whenever they decide to ship it, and like non-existent Customer Service, they are for you. I on the other hand probably will never order from them again, and am hoping at some point in time to actually get what I paid for. If I don't see it shipped tonight, I will have my CC company get involved and cancel the charges, and let Giantnerd figure it out when they finally get around to reading their email.

·
Lesper4
229 Posts
I just ordered some hiking boots from them for 35% off. Delivery was fine.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I recently bought a mountain bike from them and you have to have them assemble it if you want their warrentee. The second time out the back tire popped out and the wheel was seriously bent. Shop couldn't fix it so I instant message their customer service to get replacement wheel. After they dropped the IM session once they promised to get back to me today.

STICK WITH THE LOCAL SHOPS! :mad2:
What? :confused:

The back tire popped out? As in you did not torque down the quick release properly? And then they still offer to help you and somehow you're dissatisfied?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am glad they shipped yours in a timely fashion, as of tonight, FedEx still has not received the package from them. Called my CC Company tonight and am disputing the charge. They still have not answered my emails, and the phone just rings. This is a roll your dice operation, maybe you will, maybe you won't get what you ordered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Tommaso Corvo road bike in April 2011 to replace my 11 year old Cannondale. And to say the least it has not been a good experience. I did not pay for the pro build as I was planning on taking it to my LBS and having it completely tuned up. The bike arrived 99% assembled in pretty rough shape. The derailleurs needed adjusting, the brakes needed adjusting, the wheels were not true. And on top of all that, the bike was dirty. It had clearly been ridden around outside and not wiped off.

I spent about $60 dollars getting the bike in riding shape. All was fairly well until the front SRAM Apex shifter went out after about 700 miles. I called Giantnerd several times just to be put on hold. After holding for over thirty minutes each time I hung up. I wrote detailed emails explaining the problem. I finally got a response asking me to fax my receipt for the repair and the phone number of the bike shop that did the repairs. I thought that just maybe they would do the right thing. Well that was 3 months ago. I have given up on Giantnerd standing behind their product. Since then the bike has also started making an awful rattle noise (my LBS has adjusted, tightened, greased everything they can think of to no avail).

If I would have bought this bike form my LBS, it would have been repaired for free under warrenty. I will never buy another bike online again. I have since sold the Tommaso (at a big loss) and have replaced it with a Giant Defy Composite 2. The difference is night and day. Smooth, no death rattle and under a real warranty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts