Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
mquetel said:
Once again, Simoni comes off looking like a punk. Why can't he learn to shut up and let his legs do the talking?
I'm sure a lot of his comments are just trash he comes up with on the spot out of frustration. He probably just made up the money offer comment because he was pissed at Basso for asking him to take it easy before the climb and he's had his share of bad luck the last couple of years. But you gotta give it to the guy, he lets his legs do the talking more than just about anyone else who races the Giro. This year he was a little off (but then again so was everyone else compared to Basso) but he'll always attack when the road goes uphill.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I can't remember what his name was, but there was an article in procycling a bit ago about Cunego and Simoni, who I guess have the same agent.

He basically said "Simoni needs to just tape his mouth shut for 2 hours following each race."

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
I defintely do appreciate his attacking style and think he is a great climber. I just think he tarnishes his accomplishment and podium place with his behavior. I don't know, maybe it is a cultural thing and plays to the tifosi...

· Registered
100 Posts
BAi9302010 said:
He probably just made up the money offer comment because he was pissed at Basso for asking him to take it easy before the climb and he's had his share of bad luck the last couple of years. .....
I have it on very good authority that what simoni said was in fact very true, but of course it was a mistake for him to actually say it. CSC had already given away 1 or 2 stages, and weren't about to give another away for free. The stage was offered, and Simoni didn't want to pay. Again, he should have kept his mouth shut, the riders are not supposed to talk about that stuff to the press.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
mquetel said:
I defintely do appreciate his attacking style and think he is a great climber. I just think he tarnishes his accomplishment and podium place with his behavior.
I think he's got the attitude problem. It was several years ago at InterBike and Simoni, Pettachi, Hamilton, Lemond and others were signing autographs; Simoni was the only one that did not talk to anyone or personalize the autographs. Pettachi was the nicest of all the Euro riders - that was before he had won so many Grand Tour stages. I've always thought he was TOO impressed by his cycling accomplishments.

· Registered
233 Posts
I have it on very good authority that what simoni said was in fact very true, but of course it was a mistake for him to actually say it. CSC had already given away 1 or 2 stages, and weren't about to give another away for free. The stage was offered, and Simoni didn't want to pay. Again, he should have kept his mouth shut, the riders are not supposed to talk about that stuff to the press.
:rolleyes: oh brother

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
SantaCruz said:
I think he's got the attitude problem. It was several years ago at InterBike and Simoni, Pettachi, Hamilton, Lemond and others were signing autographs; Simoni was the only one that did not talk to anyone or personalize the autographs. Pettachi was the nicest of all the Euro riders - that was before he had won so many Grand Tour stages. I've always thought he was TOO impressed by his cycling accomplishments.
Maybe he didn't speak English? Did you speak Italian to him?

There are biases due to language differences. Somehow English-speakers think of Museeuw as a great, nice guy, perhaps due to the one-liner that Armstrong offered on the 1996 P-R tape about how nice Museeuw is and how arrogant Jalabert is. But go to Flanders, and although people will admit that his palmares is impressive, they also have to admit that Museeuw is an *** in interviews, rather distant and arrogant. Jalabert, on the other hand, gifted a few important stages to riders he didn't even know personally.

Conversely, many people in the US seem to think that van Petegem is a bit of a tool because of the way he speaks his English, whereas in Flemish he's quite erudite and friendly.

· Registered
100 Posts
Argentius said:
Serious? Woah.

What's the good authority?
Yes, seriously. 30k is what I was told the price was.
Come on guys, it is common knowledge that business deals are made between teams all the time, usually from the team cars. Does this really suprise you?
That said, hell, Riis probably made the offer just to piss off Simoni, knowing that he wouldn't pay it. lol.
Simoni was pissed about the stage and forgot the old saying:
"Loose lips sink ships"....

· Registered
333 Posts
I thought it was interesting that, while fans were saying "Impossible, Basso would never do that!", Cyclingnews published reactions from several Italian ex-pros, all of which were along the lines of "Gibo should keep his mouth shut, this stuff stays in the peloton". I certainly wouldn't exclude some discussion between the team cars, which the riders were presumably in on via radio; that kind of stuff is part of racing, but there is an understanding that you don't talk about it, which is where Gibo screwed up.

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Simoni is a proud man. He rides like a proud man and will not quit on a climb.

His pride gets him into trouble too as he cannot accept defeat and view things objectively. What makes him good is what makes him bad (or a good post-race interview anyway).

francois

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.