Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard one of these being played thru a Marshall 1974x amp - the reissue amp with only 18 watts of power. Sounded awesome!!! Now I want one.

Anyways, they come with 57 Classic pickups and Alnico 490's. What's the diff. and what do you guys like and why - etc. etc.etc...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I think the 57s are lower-output than most other Gibson humbuckers. That would probably translate to a bit more touch sensitivity and increased ability to clean up your tone (cut down distortion) with the volume knob.

I find high-output pickups lose a little of the sensitivity, and drive the preamp hard enough that turning the guitar's volume doesn't clean it up as much as it makes it muddier.

But more modern Gibby HBs (which I assume the other are), are likely to be a little fatter-sounding, with nice, tight distortion on a tube amp.

If you're using that Marshall 18-watter, you'll really be able to tell the difference a lot. With a solid state or modeling amp or more modern non-boutique tube amp, you probably won't get as much difference except the more pronounced midrange on the non-57s.

I like the modern ones better, but then again, I use a Strat (single coils) when I'm trying to do things where I want real touch/volume control. I use the modern ones to blast the rock, and that's what they're way good for.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
get the 61 Reissue

neck is thinner and it joins the body at fret 22.
57's are designed like the original PAF's and yes,lower output, cleaner sounding pick up.the 490's have a boosted Mid,Upper Mid for a bit more modern sound.personally I prefer to get my drive out of my amps and not my guitars. 'hot' pick ups never sound as good 'clean'.

If you only wanna 'rock' get the 490's, otherwise get the 57's. I ran PAF (real ones) through Marshalls for years and had fab tone. I have an original 61 but I think it may exceed your price range.

atp

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:
I heard one of these being played thru a Marshall 1974x amp - the reissue amp with only 18 watts of power. Sounded awesome!!! Now I want one.

Anyways, they come with 57 Classic pickups and Alnico 490's. What's the diff. and what do you guys like and why - etc. etc.etc...
here's a purty white one....

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
atpjunkie said:
neck is thinner and it joins the body at fret 22.
57's are designed like the original PAF's and yes,lower output, cleaner sounding pick up.the 490's have a boosted Mid,Upper Mid for a bit more modern sound.personally I prefer to get my drive out of my amps and not my guitars. 'hot' pick ups never sound as good 'clean'.

If you only wanna 'rock' get the 490's, otherwise get the 57's. I ran PAF (real ones) through Marshalls for years and had fab tone. I have an original 61 but I think it may exceed your price range.

atp
What kind of fab tone did you get with the PAF's? Rock tone? Were you using it for the ska band? Not jazz, eh? And were they DiMarzio's or something else? The guy I heard playing at GC had great rock tone.

Another reason I'm liking this guitar is 'cause it's so light.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
the 57's

are more all around. designed to sound like original Gibson PAF (patent applied for) Humbuckers (the first ones made, didn't have the patent # yet so they put a sticker on the bottom). All other pickups bearing the term PAF (DiMarzio,Seymour Duncan,etc) are designed to replicate this tone. I used that guitar for my years in hard rock, punk, new wave, alt rock. The Alinco's will only sound good when driven to the hilt. If ya wanna play jazz get the 57's for sure. also the 61 reissue has a smaller pick guard and more of the body showing. far more attractive.

so read as such: If ya play dirty all the time Alincos, if ya want more vqriety 57's. My pick ups (PAF) were like the 57's and they sounded quite yummy on 11 as well as clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts