Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, it is that dreaded time of year when co-workers (or maybe even managers) go around collecting for a gift for the owner of the company. This year, as in many previous years, I will be giving the owner of my company a heart-felt holiday card, and that is all.

I feel that, if the company is profitable, why should employees be buying a gift? Maybe if the year had been bad and he elected to give bonuses despite not turning a profit, yeah, I guess I would. But in a profitable company? I would think that the dollars he makes (being many more than I make) would be reward enough.

One place I once worked at had about 90-100 people working, and no less than the VP used to go around, getting about $20 a person for the owner's gift-that's roughly 2 grand! For a guy who already owns 2 BMW's!! The last year I worked there, I just put a card in lieu of money......and was laid-off on March. Good riddance.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
We can barely get it together to have a holiday lunch for ourselves. Gifts for the boss wouldn't go over so well here! I say no way, but each company is different.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It is quite possible that the boss or owner doesn't really expect a gift from his employees. I am sure a simple card, if anything, would be appreciated.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just write a note:
I gave $20 to a homeless charity. Because that's what Jesus would want.

Buying gifts in the name of Christ for people who don't need them is an insult to Jesus.
Honestly, ju-heezus doesn't enter into the scenario; I'm an aetheist.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
We can barely get it together to have a holiday lunch for ourselves. Gifts for the boss wouldn't go over so well here! I say no way, but each company is different.
yeah, that's kind of a weird rabbit hole we don't go down either. I mean, where does it stop? the front desk personnel....the PA's...the other physicians in my division? how about the janitorial staff or the admins.?
my wife manages 10 employees and a ton of contractors...and she really hopes none of them get her anything because it would be pretty much one-sided since she may have to lay them off at a moments notice if their work is bad or its decided that contracts need to be terminated. she also doesn't personally like about 20% of them...

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Ditto. But the idea is right. Just leave out the jeebus reference and donate in honor of... it's infallible. How do you diss a donation to feed the local 3 legged dogs or sick kids at Christmas?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Employee types always crack me up. No matter how much they are given, it's rarely seen as enough. And they always think the boss is making too much money.

Drop the guy a card wishing him a Merry Christmas and tell him you're grateful for having a job. That will probably go farther than anything else you could do....Even if you don't mean it.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Employee types always crack me up. No matter how much they are given, it's rarely seen as enough. And they always think the boss is making too much money.

Drop the guy a card wishing him a Merry Christmas and tell him you're grateful for having a job. That will probably go farther than anything else you could do....Even if you don't mean it.
The boss makes a dollar,
I make a dime,
That's why I poop on company time.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
well there's your problem, silly.

jesus hears this, gets angry, and keeps you down where you belong, forced to buy gifts for horrible bosses on jesus's 2,000th birthday.

black francis said:

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Jelly of the month club . . . .

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,799 Posts
Job done.

I put $10 In-n-Out Burger gift cards in my boss' and co-worker's office stocking before I headed out the door to spend the holidays in Hawai'i.

Mele Kalikimaka, Mofos!

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
No way, you don't give gifts to the boss... they give to you!

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I feel that, if the company is profitable, why should employees be buying a gift? Maybe if the year had been bad and he elected to give bonuses despite not turning a profit, yeah, I guess I would. But in a profitable company? I would think that the dollars he makes (being many more than I make) would be reward enough.
I can't at all understand the correlation between Christmas gift and profit.
I either give someone a gift or I don't. How well they did that year financially has no impact on that. Why would it? Should I demand my friends provide a tax return so I can decide if they get a gift?

·
Registered
525 Posts
In a former life, I was second in command at a manufacturing plant. We more or less had to contribute to a gift for the manager, and it fell my duty to present it to him. I didn't think it was right to do this. Fast forward about three years, and I became the manager of the plant. I put a stop to the practice in no uncertain terms. If people wanted to send me a card, fine, but no gift for the boss.

I was not/am not a grinch. I celebrate Christmas every year and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.