Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leipheimer crushes it. 32:59
Zirbel second in 33:52
Armstrong third, I think at 34:22
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,192 Posts
this angers me.

maybe "anger" is too strong a word. but it sure seems to me like the college kids have crashed the homecoming dance to steal all the good looking girls, just to make sure they still have "it."

i know some people say it should be an honor to ride against the three amigos and all, and maybe it should be, but it still seems like there is a lack of class in showing up and winning. even if you do pledge to not keep the money.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
weltyed said:
this angers me.

maybe "anger" is too strong a word. but it sure seems to me like the college kids have crashed the homecoming dance to steal all the good looking girls, just to make sure they still have "it."

I know some people say it should be an honor to ride against the three amigos and all, and maybe it should be, but it still seems like there is a lack of class in showing up and winning. even if you do pledge to not keep the money.
I respectfully disagree.

The race desperately needed the exposure. The cost may be paid, in part, by the other lower level racers. But if SRAM (Astana's sponsor) had not stepped in..those other racers would be sitting on their butts. Instead, they are racing their bikes with tougher competition than imagined.

I wonder what those high schoolers think. anybody know? are they disappointed? or are they happy?
For myself, I would be totally stoked to try to show my best against Horner, LL, and LA.

What an awesome life memory for a racer and the opportunty to know one's measure against the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
It must be an amazing feeling to see your season goal be turned into a side kick just because a couple of pros are bored. :rolleyes:

JohnHenry said:
I respectfully disagree.

The race desperately needed the exposure. The cost may be paid, in part, by the other lower level racers. But if SRAM (Astana's sponsor) had not stepped in..those other racers would be sitting on their butts. Instead, they are racing their bikes with tougher competition than imagined.

I wonder what those high schoolers think. anybody know? are they disappointed? or are they happy?
For myself, I would be totally stoked to try to show my best against Horner, LL, and LA.

What an awesome life memory for a racer and the opportunty to know one's measure against the best.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
den bakker said:
It must be an amazing feeling to see your season goal be turned into a side kick just because a couple of pros are bored. :rolleyes:
I'm sure they're all crying themselves to sleep every night.:ciappa:the humanity!!!
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
den bakker said:
It must be an amazing feeling to see your season goal be turned into a side kick just because a couple of pros are bored. :rolleyes:
Beats staying home, which is what they would have done if the race was canceled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
den bakker said:
It must be an amazing feeling to see your season goal be turned into a side kick just because a couple of pros are bored. :rolleyes:
For any rider wanting to take their careers to the next level, then any chance to show what you can do against the top pros should be a great opportunity. How many more people are going to hear the names of Peter Stetina or Tom Zirbel because of the three amigos being present? Obviously those names are somewhat known in the U.S., but they may get more interest with international teams looking to pick up some North American riders, who knows.

I guess it comes down whether it is better to win a race almost no one pays attention to or to get second in a race that everyone is following because of who is taking first? I would guess Zirbel is happy to have another chance to match himself against two of the top time trialers in the world and even beat Armstrong.

The only downside I see to the three amigos doing the race is the effect it had on BMC, that totally sucked for those guys.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
JayZee said:
For any rider wanting to take their careers to the next level, then any chance to show what you can do against the top pros should be a great opportunity. How many more people are going to hear the names of Peter Stetina or Tom Zirbel because of the three amigos being present? Obviously those names are somewhat known in the U.S., but they may get more interest with international teams looking to pick up some North American riders, who knows.

I guess it comes down whether it is better to win a race almost no one pays attention to or to get second in a race that everyone is following because of who is taking first? I would guess Zirbel is happy to have another chance to match himself against two of the top time trialers in the world and even beat Armstrong.

The only downside I see to the three amigos doing the race is the effect it had on BMC, that totally sucked for those guys.
I agree, BMC got the hose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
JayZee said:
For any rider wanting to take their careers to the next level, then any chance to show what you can do against the top pros should be a great opportunity. How many more people are going to hear the names of Peter Stetina or Tom Zirbel because of the three amigos being present? Obviously those names are somewhat known in the U.S., but they may get more interest with international teams looking to pick up some North American riders, who knows.

I guess it comes down whether it is better to win a race almost no one pays attention to or to get second in a race that everyone is following because of who is taking first? I would guess Zirbel is happy to have another chance to match himself against two of the top time trialers in the world and even beat Armstrong.

The only downside I see to the three amigos doing the race is the effect it had on BMC, that totally sucked for those guys.
I totally agree :thumbsup:

Personally, if I were a domestic pro I'd want the chance to prove myself and my abilities against the elite of the cycling world and to see how close I really was. I would relish an opportunity such as this.

Complaining that they are there beating up on the kids is basically saying...I'm not very good and I only compete in races that I know I can win so I can feel better about myself. What a crock!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,061 Posts
jorgy said:
Beats staying home, which is what they would have done if the race was canceled.
SRAM stepped in as a sponsor in march. The three stooges decided to participate in mid april. What is the connection here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Was anybody angry when Horner came back to race in the States for a few years? I guess since he can race at the ProTour level, he was sandbagging those years he raced for Mercury, Prime Alliance, Saturn and Webcor Builders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
JohnHenry said:
I respectfully disagree.

The race desperately needed the exposure. The cost may be paid, in part, by the other lower level racers. But if SRAM (Astana's sponsor) had not stepped in..those other racers would be sitting on their butts. Instead, they are racing their bikes with tougher competition than imagined.

I wonder what those high schoolers think. anybody know? are they disappointed? or are they happy?
For myself, I would be totally stoked to try to show my best against Horner, LL, and LA.

What an awesome life memory for a racer and the opportunty to know one's measure against the best.
I tend to agree. I almost find it a little disrespectful to Levi. The guy has worked his a** off for his entire career riding for others (for the most part). He will always live in the shadows of riders like Lance, Contador... For a guy who spends more time on the bike in a year than most of us do in decades, cut the guy some slack. If I was a domestic Pro wanting to win the Gila, I would want to know that, at the end of the day, I was the strongest/most deserved rider at the race. When I wrestled in high school, I would have been personally insulted if somebody better than I let me win out of pity... The best rider should win, and that's what's happening. I am sure the other racers understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,779 Posts
In my experience pro riders and those with ambitions to be pros want to race against the best and compete against the best. When I would race against pro Mtb'er as an amateur I learned more by doing what I could to stay on their wheel as long as could, than if I diced it up with the same doofus week in and week out. If you don't think Tom Zirbel is in a better position career wise today than he was yesterday than your sadly mistaken...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
To be honest, I would have paid no real attention to this race until these 3 cowboys showed up. Now I'm interested, not so much in those 3, but who else is there and how they're stacking up. Great press for a lot of these guys I'd think.
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
den bakker said:
SRAM stepped in as a sponsor in march. The three stooges decided to participate in mid april. What is the connection here?
If you don't see a connection, you need to open your eyes a bit wider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
he's right - it's entirely a coincidence that Astana rides SRAM; I doubt SRAM has thought twice about being the only component besides Shimano Armstrong has raced on in his career. I bet it never dawned on the SRAM marketing guys to think sponsoring a race and having a SRAM-equipped Astana participate would boost sales. Probably the Trek guys are wondering if there's any connection between Armstrong riding their bikes and their ten thousand percent or so increase in sales...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
WOW! I am honestly blown away at some of the comments on here. Reminds me of some of the racers I know. They go on the reg.com site to see who is registered and if there is some guys there that have a winning record they don't go because they don't have a chance.

I am sure the pros that are there are honored to race against guys like LA and Levi. All it is going to do is make them want to work harder.

This stuff cracks me up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
You gotta be kidding, lets see you get beat by someone faster in race and its not fair because they are faster. That makes sense to me. Its a competition
 

·
Good Person
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
CycloCross said:
You gotta be kidding, lets see you get beat by someone faster in race and its not fair because they are faster. That makes sense to me. Its a competition
+1

Honestly, I bet that most of those guys are honored to have the opportunity to race with legends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
we wouldnt even be talking about this race if lance and co hadnt shown up. its a pro race with pro riders and i dont hear anyone teams complaining about a higher level of competition or more exposure...
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top