Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested to hear if people have found them to be a useful addition to their cycling clothes lineup.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Absolutely. Even in the South with the morning temps dipping into the 50s, having a stowable wind vest is a must have. Going into Fall it will get used quite often. Spring, same thing.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Got a couple....good for keeping the wind off your chest and when used with arm warmers you can strip off and still remain cool.

Had one on yesterday at 8c and was warm enough. Got to a top of 13c and only unzipped for a couple of climbs.

Good value and gets plenty of use..from late autumn through to late spring

0 Posts
One of these and a long-sleeved jersey is a great combination.

Allows me to handle a lot of temperature variation, which we get in the fall down here where I live (Deep South).

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Definitely

I have a few, solid on the front and mesh on the back, Giordana team kit mostly. Use them in the NE of the US, London and Shanghai. Indispensable for cooler conditions and even in light or in and out rain.

Cpk said:
I would be interested to hear if people have found them to be a useful addition to their cycling clothes lineup.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Enormously useful for those in-between days, or rides where the weather will warm up, or cool hilly rides, where you need to ventilate on the climb but cover up for the descent.

Some of them are way "overbuilt" for the purpose, IMO. All they need is a windstopping front (nylon or microfiber polyester), a mesh back, and a reliable zipper. I have a cheap one I bought from Performance a long time ago that was made with half-facings like a dress garment, and two stupid zippered pockets (I don't want pockets on a garment that's going to be removed and stuffed into a jersey pocket along the way). I removed the useless parts, and at the same time altered the vest for a tight fit (if it flaps in the wind its effectiveness is seriously compromised). The thing squashes down to about 2 cubic inches now if I need to put it in a pocket. I use it a lot.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, got one from streudelsbikeshop on 'bay and some knee and arm warmer thrown in for good mearsure.

Also got some Assos Chamois Cream, got to give it a try, I'm 99.9% comfortable except for a little rubbing that I'm guessing that will take care of

·
Registered
173 Posts
over paying for the Assos Chamy cream chaps my a$$. I've tried both. Paceline Butt'r euro mix is just as good and for the same price you get twice as much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm going to have to grab a vest (or a convertible jacket) and some arm warmers myself. Went on a 50 mile ride this past weekend starting around 48 degrees using my knee warmers, bibs, UA Metal tank, short sleeve jersey, and full jacket. Worked perfectly for the 1st 10 miles or so, but as the ambient temps and I warmed up I started getting clammy torso/arms and had to ditch the jacket.

Had my first run in w/ chaffing on the bike as well. I've never had an issue before and was wearing what had been the most comfy pair of bibs I have for distance rides. I'm wondering if this has to do w/ not enough sweat saturating the chamois. I'd rather not have to screw w/ creams any time I want to take a decent length ride in cool temps but I guess we'll see.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it's just a bit of rubbing that hopefully will be eliminated with the cream but I'm with you I'd rather not have to deal with it either but. Check out streudelsbikeshop on ebay I just got a $129 capo wind vest for $32.99, that's hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
thirstyman said:
.......... I find it to be the single most useful garment in my kit.
+1

Best case the zipper is two way which lets me micro manage air flow.

A recent purchase was a Gore brand vest which has slits in the back allowing easy access to jersey pockets. Someone there must ride bikes!

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
Definitely a must have where I live. Cool mornings as it gradually warms up as the sun comes out.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
thirstyman said:
over paying for the Assos Chamy cream chaps my a$$. I've tried both. Paceline Butt'r euro mix is just as good and for the same price you get twice as much.
+1 The Paceline stuff is from the good ole' USA too.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I have a wind vest and a thermal vest which seems to work great with knickers on the those early Spring or late Fall days.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think I can do one better

Mootsie said:
+1 The Paceline stuff is from the good ole' USA too.
Vaseline petroleum jelly cream deep moisture creamy formula. Cheap!!!!!!! and works every bit as good as the expensive stuff. Says 18 hour moistuization on the tube. My under side is kinda out of shape (sans callous) due to a weak riding season. I did about 3.5 hours yesterday with lots of climbing, not feeling any chafing today. Anopther rider told me about it on this forum unsure who to give the credit to, "butt" good stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have found a good wind vest along with arm warmers to be two of the best pieces of clothing you can buy. Gets you through a great range of temperatures and conditions for riding.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,419 Posts
Besides a wind vest, heavy and thinner are warmers, heavy and thin knee warmers, I alway carry a piece of Tyvek, to put on my chest, to cut the wind on those chilly mornings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts