Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got it in my mind that I really wanna learn how to make a kickass martini...A real martini, with gin and vermouth and olives (none of that vodkatini stuff :D ). I can pretend to be sophistimicated, right? However. last time I had that ambition, I wound up with some crappy gin and cheap vermouth. It weren't pretty...although, the olive made it pretty darn good.

What I normally did was take a shot of vermouth and shake it up over ice, then dump the vermouth out and shake the gin over the same ice...Then, I'd pour it over an olive into a martini glass. Does that sound like the appropriate course of action?

Then, of course, came the ingredients. As I mentioned, I picked some random middle-of-the-line gin and some really cheap vermouth...I've since read that the best martini you can make comes with more expensive ingredients. Can anyone verify that? Also, can anyone recommend a good gin?

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Bombay. And you barely need any vermouth.
+1. Tanqueray will work nicely, as well. Some recipes will say 2 to 1 gin to vermouth, but I say just a touch of vermouth. And make sure it's ice cold.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Tanqueray. Opt for Tanqueray Ten if you're feeling indulgent.

I usually go very light on vermouth, but I have had good martinis that followed the 2-1 ratio

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
Stir, don't shake.

Esquire said:

Fill a metal shaker with cracked ice. Pour in the dry vermouth (we prefer Noilly Prat), stir briefly, and strain out (this may be discarded). Add 4 ounces gin (we prefer Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater) -- you want it around 94-proof. Stir briskly for about 10 seconds, strain into chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an olive.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/martini-drink-recipe#ixzz0yYpgmBiJ

·
Opus was just napping
21,502 Posts
Winston Martini.

Fill a glass with very cold gin while looking at the bottle of vermouth.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Put some vermouth on the tip of your finger and spread around the rim of the glass.

Try Boodles Gin. Not that expensive and I used to like it better than Tanqueray back when I drank gin.

The shaking over ice (w/o vermouth) and the olive part sound right to me.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Gin can have lots of different taste properties so find one you like. Personally I'm not a huge Gin fan but I enjoy Tanqueray when I do.

When I was tending bar for most martini's I would pour vermouth into the glass (all our glasses were frozen, not that chilled with ice water 20 seconds before crap...) swirl it around and shake as much as I possibly could off the glass before pouring in the Gin.

I got some local awards for my martini's, but that was mostly because I was the only place in our market doing handmade infused vodka' and other specialty martini's.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Screw martinis. You wanna enjoy gin, I'm a big fan of the Rangpur gin from Tanqueray. Over ice straight, or with Diet 7up. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I can't stomach Sapphire.

If cost is no object, Hendrick's. If on a budget, Boodles. Gargle with the vermouth and breathe in the glass. :D Actually, i just pour a little in the glass, and dump/shake it out.

Three big olives and your'e good to go!

I'm interested in trying a few more of the "small batch" gins, but I don't see how they can get much better than Hendrick's, and the first one i tried (Anchor Junipero) sucked.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Another vote for Hendricks and Boodles.

Hendricks is a bit more pricey, and not 'traditional', I think its cucumber infused and REALLY tasty.

Boodles is a damn fine drinkin' gin for very low prices.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Hendricks

and nothing else. Consider a milder garnish than olive. I like a slice of cucumber....

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I've never cared for gin, this is the only one I've tasted that I even sorta liked...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Bombay. And you barely need any vermouth.
Bombay sapphire...but I hate olives so I use a lemon twist. Hendricks gin is da bomb also...serve with cucumber slice.

//Boodles or Bombay regular for G&Ts.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Two fingers of gin of choice (vertical, not sideways), and whisper "vermouth" over the rim of the glass. Olives are just for show for me - they're a cruel mediterranean joke on the rest of the world.

Another fan of the lighter, more herb-y taste of Bombay...

·
getting older
289 Posts
+1 on the Rangpur.

I used to drink a lot of Sapphire and Ten. Rangpur got the wife drinking gin and she slowly stopped nagging me about my indulgences.

Another Rangpur bonus - my snobby friends who 'only' drink Hendrick's couldn't tell the difference. There's certainly a subtle difference side-by-side, but many casual drinkers can't tell if you swap and it's far cheaper than Hendrick's in my neck of the woods.

JayTee said:
Screw martinis. You wanna enjoy gin, I'm a big fan of the Rangpur gin from Tanqueray. Over ice straight, or with Diet 7up. :)

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Another vote for Rangpur. But diet 7UP??? Ick. If you need fizz use San Pellagrino.

If you use Rangpur for martinis go lighter on the vermouth. Noilly Prat gets my vote. Use lemon rind twist instead of an olive. And NEVER shake, I don't care what James Bond says. My conservative Vanderbilt great-uncle made martinis by the pitcher on summer afternoons (Manhattens in winter) and we were instructed to ice the pitcher, start with cold gin and vermouth and stir gently.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
theBreeze said:
Another vote for Rangpur. But diet 7UP??? Ick. If you need fizz use San Pellagrino.
Tonic. There's a reason it's classic. The G&T is a drink for the ages, and as gin drinks go, it's never been improved upon.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts