Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much info about these wheels. No reviews, not much on the old forum. Anyone use these wheels? Didn't they come stock on some Cannondales a few years ago? They look freaky. I wouldn't even be asking about them if a pair weren't on sale locally. I read a quoted weight of 1800grms with skewers. Seems heavy.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
I can't give the specifics but...

Farmpunker said:
Not much info about these wheels. No reviews, not much on the old forum. Anyone use these wheels? Didn't they come stock on some Cannondales a few years ago? They look freaky. I wouldn't even be asking about them if a pair weren't on sale locally. I read a quoted weight of 1800grms with skewers. Seems heavy.
I've heard that they are not so hot. They were on sale at many places at the end of last year. I've thought of getting a set back then because they looked interesting and the great price but the things I heard made me think otherwise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What things...?

6was9 said:
I've heard that they are not so hot. They were on sale at many places at the end of last year. I've thought of getting a set back then because they looked interesting and the great price but the things I heard made me think otherwise.
What were the "things" you heard? Specifics? I searched back through the old archives and some guys were crossing on them with no trouble. Weird. They look cool, that's for sure, and are mildly aero. And the set I'm looking at are super cheap, never been rode. Service can't be that bad, if C-Dale has been using them stock on their mid-line bikes for the past two years. And I assume that means a C-Dale retailer could fix them if they broke. I dunno. Maybe I'll post on the C-Dale forum and ask them about the wheels.
Thanks.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
I think those comments might have been...

Farmpunker said:
What were the "things" you heard? Specifics? I searched back through the old archives and some guys were crossing on them with no trouble. Weird. They look cool, that's for sure, and are mildly aero. And the set I'm looking at are super cheap, never been rode. Service can't be that bad, if C-Dale has been using them stock on their mid-line bikes for the past two years. And I assume that means a C-Dale retailer could fix them if they broke. I dunno. Maybe I'll post on the C-Dale forum and ask them about the wheels.
Thanks.
On bicycling.com's Buying forum or possibly velonews.com forum. Then again I visit slowtwitch site occatoionally too but I don't think those are tri wheels. You should find something on those two sights. I, first, saw them on a KG486 pix on the RBR phot gallery 2-3 monthes ago and did my research. I don't remember exactly what it was but what a few posters had to say about them were more than enough for me to stay away from them and suggested the reason why they were all on sale at such deep discounts.

Also there was a half way decent review of 'em on the Bicycling mag, I think, last year some time. But, to be honest, I take Bicycling mag's words, epecially of the recent, with a grain of salt, more than most of other mag's reviews. Don't ask me why but I do based on my experiences; not always wrong but not always right either. Don't get me wrong. They sometimes do have some helpful info and articles but they are gettin quite weak lately.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I liked mine...

Farmpunker said:
Bought a pair from a local racer back when they had to import the wheels straight from Italy (my box still has Italian on it.)

My take:

They're not quite as aero as my Cosmics, but they are lighter.

Big coolness factor 'cause not too many people know what they are.

Fairly well built wheels. My little brother managed to knock the rear one out of true somehow, but he still hasn't touched the front one. I owned the wheels a little over a year and never had to do anything to them but put air in the tires.

They're better at wider-open style crits/circuit races than they are at short, turny crits.

Make sure you get the Gipiemme locknuts!

Ride and enjoy...

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two answers in one session...

Hey, you've given me two good posts, all in the same session, I bet.
Been having a lot of trouble finding info on these suckers. The guy says they came stock on a Colnago. They don't have any Parade stickers on them, but he's guessing they must be the Grecal Parades.
The guy is selling them superdirt cheap. Might take a chance on them. They certainly are wicked looking.
Thanks.

MShaw said:
Bought a pair from a local racer back when they had to import the wheels straight from Italy (my box still has Italian on it.)

My take:

They're not quite as aero as my Cosmics, but they are lighter.

Big coolness factor 'cause not too many people know what they are.

Fairly well built wheels. My little brother managed to knock the rear one out of true somehow, but he still hasn't touched the front one. I owned the wheels a little over a year and never had to do anything to them but put air in the tires.

They're better at wider-open style crits/circuit races than they are at short, turny crits.

Make sure you get the Gipiemme locknuts!

Ride and enjoy...

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have Pyramids

Pyramids are 16 spokes front and rear, spokes are Sapim CX, hubs are on machine bearings, so I don't have too much fear about them. I started riding them this weekend and did 250 kms - no problems, crosswinds - ok, roll fast, pretty aero. The sound is incredible. However if you sway the bike too much an angle, the rear wheel will rub brakes, I'm175lbs. I heard from some people, that some Gipiemme hubs are badly assmbled from factory and you should inspect them in case of any suspicious noises or feeling in the bearings. Anyways, I was so excited about my new road bike on Wednesday, that I did 150kms and didn't even notice it....
Regards
Przemek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts