Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from Italy...Followed the giro for 4 stages, and have a few nuggets of info for the procycling crowd.

1. The discovery team are a bunch of a-holes. we went to the TT in Pontadera to get up close and personal. These guys didn't talk or interact with the people AT ALL. Totally disinterested. They looked at you with dead eyes and couldn't be less inclined to talk with the peeps. I used to be a big Discovery homer, but no more. (Still like and admire Johan B. and George)
2. CSC team was awsome. My wife and I got pictures with Jens and Ivan. Bobby J. came up to us to talk and sign jerseys and hats at the start of the Plan de Corones stage....Discovery would not sign a thing! We asked several riders...They would either shake their heads no or ignore you altogether. What a bunch of dicks. They need to get a good PR rep...
3. We hung out at the T-mobile bus for a bit and watched Jan warm-up. Real good guy interacting the crowd. Other riders of the team were giving away their water bottles to the people after the warm-up.

Overall, the experience was great. I think the best place to get up close and personal is either at the bus before a TT or at the start of a stage. Rode the Pass of Tonale and the Gavia! The Gavia is brutal! Averaged probably 5mph during the climb with a 25 cog. If you have never followed a Pro Grand Tour, it is a must do! What an experience! Quite the fanfare and production...Not a s big as the TDF though (went to the 2003 TDF, was much bigger)

Anybody else go to the Giro this year? What was your experience?

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
mootinator said:
Just came back from Italy...Followed the giro for 4 stages, and have a few nuggets of info for the procycling crowd.

1. The discovery team are a bunch of a-holes. we went to the TT in Pontadera to get up close and personal. These guys didn't talk or interact with the people AT ALL. Totally disinterested. They looked at you with dead eyes and couldn't be less inclined to talk with the peeps. I used to be a big Discovery homer, but no more. (Still like and admire Johan B. and George)
2. CSC team was awsome. My wife and I got pictures with Jens and Ivan. Bobby J. came up to us to talk and sign jerseys and hats at the start of the Plan de Corones stage....Discovery would not sign a thing! We asked several riders...They would either shake their heads no or ignore you altogether. What a bunch of dicks. They need to get a good PR rep...
3. We hung out at the T-mobile bus for a bit and watched Jan warm-up. Real good guy interacting the crowd. Other riders of the team were giving away their water bottles to the people after the warm-up.

Overall, the experience was great. I think the best place to get up close and personal is either at the bus before a TT or at the start of a stage. Rode the Pass of Tonale and the Gavia! The Gavia is brutal! Averaged probably 5mph during the climb with a 25 cog. If you have never followed a Pro Grand Tour, it is a must do! What an experience! Quite the fanfare and production...Not a s big as the TDF though (went to the 2003 TDF, was much bigger)

POST THE PIX!!!!

· Registered
91 Posts
mootinator said:

I was also at the Giro and had an awesome time. I like it much better than the Tour de France. There's much less traffic, you can always get a good viewing spot on any stage, and it's in Italy!

That's too bad about the Discovery riders being so cold. That's really not in the spirit of the Giro. Maybe they need a few more Italian riders. I never approached any Discovery riders, but every rider I saw was very accomodating to the tifosi. I saw Basso, Simoni, DiLuca, and Bettini sign plenty of autographs and pose for pictures with fans. I will attempt to post some representative pictures, but I've never tried that before, so we'll see how it goes.

· Shoebomber
174 Posts
I have a question for all those who made the trek to Italy. Did you guys go solo and plan it out yourselves or go with some sort of tour group? Either way, how did it go? Too pricey or hectic? Did you bring your bikes? We're trying to figure out the logistics of going to the Giro after graduation.

Thanks!

· Registered
188 Posts
not make make excuses for being unfriendly ...

... but you never know what may have been going on with the Disco team. they could have been chewed out every day for failing to cover attacks, get into breaks, or any one of a number of team goals that they may have failed to achieve.

but the GT experience sounds unforgetable! i can't wait to do that some day.

· Registered
291 Posts
mootinator said:

I'm not a big Disco supporter at all, but at the Tour of California I found them very approachable. They had no trouble signing autographs and in a cool gesture Savodelli had someone get a cap for a young fan that wanted an autograph. The vibe was very good, perhaps as mentioned earlier there was something else going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.