Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a new lid. I tried on a Giro Atlas II and it fit well (my head measures 23.5"). But I've also seen some good deals on the Bell Alchera online and it seems like it might be a nicer helmet.

How do the two compare in terms of fit? Comfort? Venting?

Any preferences between the two?

· Registered
3,866 Posts
I think the Bell Alchera might be a little higher on the totem pole for helmets. The Atlas II might be more of a commuter lid. I have a Giro Eclipse, I like the fit. I'm not sure, I think Bell has a crash replacement policy, Giro doesn't.

· Registered
381 Posts
I got a new Bell Alchera from Performance about 2 weeks ago and really like it. Like you, I was attracted by the great price. I paid about $45 for it, but Performance has it on sale right now for $39.99. I had tried on the Bell Sweep R, Ghisallo, and Furio at the LBS before I ordered the Alchera. I liked the Sweep R the best, but it was over twice as much as the Alchera. The Alchera seems the most similar to the Ghisallo, but for less money. I also liked it better than the Furio, which seems lower on the ladder than the Alchera. I got the black one, and it has a simulated carbon fiber weave on the cover. Kinda plain, but at least it goes with anything.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
217 Posts
I like my Alchera

I've had my Alchera for about a year now and no complaints. One question....Performance describes it as a "Euro" model or "limited US availability". Does this imply something we should know about? The Alchera has a CPSC sticker inside so it passes that safety test (no Snell sticker though).

I am also thinking about getting the Bell Delirium which is another "Euro" model for my mountain biking.

Thanks.
Scott

· Registered
520 Posts
for some reason, giros seem to fit my head correctly.... they sit lower and i don't have to buy as big of a size. i have a fairly large head so i've had some makes where i need to buy a large and they look enormous.

· Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, folks. Sounds like the Alchera is a pretty nice helmet. I'm inclined to go with it.

Now I'm wondering what size to order. My head measures 23.5" (59.7cm). Here is the sizing chart:

S(20-21.75”), M(21.75-23.25”), L(23.25-24.75”)

That puts me in the lower range of the large, but reviews here on rbr and elsewhere suggest that I might be able to get away with a medium.

Any thoughts on sizing? Should I go with a medium or a large?

(No LBSs in my area appear to carry it, so I'll be ordering online blind.)

· Registered
520 Posts
SkiDiver said:
Thanks for the replies, folks. Sounds like the Alchera is a pretty nice helmet. I'm inclined to go with it.

Now I'm wondering what size to order. My head measures 23.5" (59.7cm). Here is the sizing chart:

That puts me in the lower range of the large, but reviews here on rbr and elsewhere suggest that I might be able to get away with a medium.

i measure precisely the same, and with the giro, medium is a nice snug fit!

· Registered
159 Posts
ssing20 said:
I am also thinking about getting the Bell Delirium which is another "Euro" model for my mountain biking.
Scott,

The Delirirum is nothing but an Alchera with a removable visor. I compared the two side by side in performance for about 10 minutes and they are identical. So if you like the Alchera I'm sure the Delirium will fit well. :) I had an old Alchera that needed replacing due to age and this seemed to work well. Then noticed it looked similar and pulled out an Alchera to look at. From any angle, the shell is the same. I then pulled off the visor and its identical. Go figure.

Eric

· Registered
381 Posts
SkiDiver said:

My head measures 23.25", and I ordered the large. Fits me fine.

Jay B.

· Registered
656 Posts
im surprised no-one has mentioned this...

make sure you try the bell on before you buy it, or at the very least a similar bell product. in my experience, bells and giros fit much differently. When I was looking for a new helmet I loved the look of the atmos but was debating between the bell sweep as well. When i actually went and tried them both on it automatically confirmed me buying the sweep. The Giro didn't fit my head shape at all, and was incredibly uncomfortable.

You don't want to waste your money buying a helmet that hurts to wear.

· Registered
381 Posts
livin4lax09 said:
im surprised no-one has mentioned this...

make sure you try the bell on before you buy it, or at the very least a similar bell product. in my experience, bells and giros fit much differently. When I was looking for a new helmet I loved the look of the atmos but was debating between the bell sweep as well. When i actually went and tried them both on it automatically confirmed me buying the sweep. The Giro didn't fit my head shape at all, and was incredibly uncomfortable.

You don't want to waste your money buying a helmet that hurts to wear.
Generally I would agree with you. But unfortunately since the Bell Alchera is primarily a Euro market product, they are not widely available here in the US to try on, unless you have a brick and mortar Performance store near you. The good news is that both Performance and Nashbar have very good return policies, so if you found that it did not fit well after you got it, you could return it. Of course, you would have to pay the shipping to send it back.

Later,

Jay B.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.