Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there switched from the Pneumo to the Atmos? What are your impressions? I find that my forehead gets hot in the Pneumo. Does the Atmos do a better job of airflow? Good deal on them at Performance this weekend--$139 + double team points. Is it worth the upgrade?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
SANDICO said:
Anybody out there switched from the Pneumo to the Atmos? What are your impressions? I find that my forehead gets hot in the Pneumo. Does the Atmos do a better job of airflow? Good deal on them at Performance this weekend--$139 + double team points. Is it worth the upgrade?
I paid $119 for my 05 atmos usps model. I can't say I feel any difference with air flow.

I'm not sure how much hair you have, but I have a little bit and a Under Armous helmet liners keeps me cool.

Only annoying this with the Atmos is that my Oakley sunglasses fit a little differently as they overlap the plastic that sits on your head in the helmet .. causing a different feel/ear irriatation.

And like the other guy said, they do run a little smaller.

·
Shoebomber
174 Posts
The Pneumo didn't fit on my head as well as the Atmos. I can't comment on the Atmos air vents yet as I have yet to wear it in warm weather. Overall though, in my opinion, +1 to the Atmos.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Save yo money...

SANDICO said:
I say save your money. What you got is just fine isn't it? I don't believe you'll notice a lick of difference in the airflow from one to another. But if you want to part with the cash, I suppose there are worse things to spend it on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Really - if you're getting a "hot head" w/ the pneumo you're going to get a "hot head" w/ the Atmos. Save your $$. There is not that much difference - they both have great front venting.

But.... having the Atmos may make you feel better and thus make you think your forehead is cooler... so it could be worth it.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
It's all about fit.....

SANDICO said:
I have a head that is longer (front to back) than normal compared to the width. The Pnumo fits front to back but is loose on the sides......The Atmos is snug in all 4 directions.

Try before you buy.

Len

·
Hammerhead
174 Posts
I had the Boreas, then the Pneumo, then the Atmos. Each one was (is) better than the previous. I had them all in the same size with no fitting issues. The Atmos is a smaller helmet though, on the outside dimensions, and the frontal area is less if you compare them. I prefer the way the Atmos feels on my head, and IMO it does vent better, almost like not wearing a helmet at all. The "hole vs. helmet" ratio on the Atmos is a lot higher. Again, hold them side by side and compare.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I've had an Atmos for about a year and 2 Pneumos for several years. Other than minor fit differences I have noticed no difference in comfort venting or coolness between them under hot conditions. If I did not know which one was on my head in the heat I would not be able to tell you which helmet I had on because of different cooling qualities. Actually, my favorite helmet right now is a Rudy Project Kontact I got about 2 months ago. Fits my head great, and its venting seems comparable to the Giro helmets.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Atmos

I own both the pneumo and atmos. I like the fit of the atmos much better. Overall, they are both light and do a good job of venting. I think it comes down to fit and price. Good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Buck Satan said:
I had the Boreas, then the Pneumo, then the Atmos. Each one was (is) better than the previous. I had them all in the same size with no fitting issues. The Atmos is a smaller helmet though, on the outside dimensions, and the frontal area is less if you compare them. I prefer the way the Atmos feels on my head, and IMO it does vent better, almost like not wearing a helmet at all. The "hole vs. helmet" ratio on the Atmos is a lot higher. Again, hold them side by side and compare.

I still have a Boreas and tried a Pneumo. I couldn't tell the difference (or couldn't afford the upgrade :) ) However, I did try a lower model Giro that was on sale. Though it looked identical to the Boreas, it has alot more wind noise than the Boreas. I never thought there would really be a difference. I guess the more you spend on a helmet, the more aero it gets (and quieter). Has anybody noticed that? I think that's the only thing I can notice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try something different

Try a LAS helmet.
I got one of those and it rocks big time
$0.02

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
did you get it cheap? pneumo's for +/-90$ on ebay, and atmos for 120$.

Hardtail said:
Try a LAS helmet.
I got one of those and it rocks big time
$0.02

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I've been wearing the Boreas for years, size medium/small.. Now I have an Atmos size medium which is smaller than the Boreas medium/small. The Boreas, and I believe the Pneumo, was offered in more sizes than the Atmos. I thought the Atmos medium would become more comfortable in time but it hasn't. After a year my Boreas still fits better. The large size Atmos was way to large. There should have been a size in between.
I'm sorry that I bought the Atmos.

Al

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
SANDICO said:
I know this is an old thread, but have you tried a Do Wrap? Get one that's all Cool Max polyester. It wicks sweat and dries it quickly- evaporative cooling. For summer use get one with long tails that blow out behind you in the wind. (Don't get one that's cotton. It doesn't dry fast enough.) It's also nice that when it's not wet it adds a layer and keeps you warmer in the winter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with Magnolia.I wouldn't spend the $$$ for the Atmos in hopes that it will be better.

I just recently went to an Atmos after using a Pnuemo for several years.(I was struck by a car and needed a new helmet)I really can't tell the difference.They are both really great helmets.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
R.Rice said:
I agree with Magnolia.I wouldn't spend the $$$ for the Atmos in hopes that it will be better.

I just recently went to an Atmos after using a Pnuemo for several years.(I was struck by a car and needed a new helmet)I really can't tell the difference.They are both really great helmets.

+1

just switched to an atmos (this wkd) becaue the pneumo is getting old and i found a wicked deal on an atmos. it's nice, and comes with more bells and whistles (pod, extra pads), but either way you're getting a great brain bucket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts