Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I discovered a hairline crack in the forehead region of my 2003 Pneumo (manufactured Dec '02). I was surprised since I never abused or had a crash with the helmet. After reading some comments here on RBR, I decided to do some research online to see if this incident had happened before. I stumbled across some emails from 2003 between a Giro rep. and a customer who had a similar crack in the same region. Apparently, the first generation Pneumos ('02-'03) were thinner in the forehead region and some cracks were developing but the Giro rep. assured that the cracks did not affect the safety of the helmet. But he did admit that they were working on a revised model and would gladly exchange for them if customers contacted the service dept.
I was skeptical and didn't want to ride with a 3 year old cracked helmet. I called Giro and the rep. told me to go ahead and send the helmet in for a free inspection and to include a letter with a color preference if they do decide to replace the helmet. So I decided to send the helmet in with a letter describing my situation attached with the emails I found online. I wasn't expecting much since Giro's warranty runs for 1yr and they recommend replacing helmets in 3-5yrs. In the mean time, I went out and bought myself a Giro Atmos and so far am quite pleased with it.
I was out of town for about 3 weeks and when I returned I was surprised to see a box on my back deck from Bell Sports. To my surprise it was a brand new '06 Pneumo in the colors that I had specified. I also instantly noticed that the new model is beefier in the forehead region. I rummaged through my stack of mail and found a letter sent a few days after receiving my old helmet saying they apologize for the inconvenience and to expect the new helmet in a few days.
It was one of those rare instances where I felt customer satisfaction and loyalty meant something to a company. Anyway, that was my experience.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Giro

I had a similar experience with them. I had a helmet that was 2 years out of warraty and it was delaminating from the styrofoam. I sent it in and got a new one for free. I dont know of may companies that replace items that are out of warranty for free. Great customer service.

·
Registered
876 Posts
WOW!!! Great customer service. It's getting rarer and rarer especially as lowest price, push sales etc etc attitudes are so prevalent among companies. If I hadn't already bought my Bell....actually does Bell own Giro? The original post would indicate so. Anyway a good example of bad attitudes...I was told by my manager the other day to "quit wasting time helping a customer who had only needed a key cut as I should of been helping to push another customer into buying a $599 table saw." He told me it was my fault that the guy walked away without a table saw and that if the key customer got mad and walked out, oh well to the key guy. I explained to him that the key guy was there first and in response he said "let's see $1 or $600". I just looked at him, turned around, and walked away. :mad2: Needless to say he doesn't like my "bad" attitude but fortunately corporations have rules and I don't have to worry about his dislike.

ummm.....so anyway back on subject....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.