Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking prior to this morning that there was about a 50/50 chance that there will be some DQs at the Giro due to fallout from the Spanish doping investigation. With the #1 most likely guy being Gutierrez because he's Spanish, on Phonak, Fuentes is linked to Phonak, riding well above a level he's ever shown before (can you say "Santi Perez"), #2 being Basso because of Fuentes link to Chechini and the latters link to CSC, Riis and Basso.

Now El Pais is reporting that about 200 names of professional cyclists have been found at the blood clinic, they've got video of riders coming and going from the place, etc.

I say it's almost a certainty now some of the protagonists at the Giro will get popped.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
#2 being Basso because of Fuentes link to Chechini and the latters link to CSC, Riis and Basso.
I am not so sure about Basso. Riis took over his preparation and me being the cynical type, I tend to think that the reason Riis did this was to limit the number of people who know about Basso's preparation to just himself. The way they got Museeuw with electronic surveillance should have made people very cautious. Cecchini has such a large "customer" base it should be obvious that he could become an investigation target.

Of course Fuentes might have records that go back years, in which case anybody's name could show up.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What's the statue of limitations for this stuff? I mean, suppose it comes out that Basso and Ullrich and Gutierrez and God knows who else had been doping, but that it happened 3-4 years ago, what then? What if it's all based on patient records from the "clinic", but there's never any medical evidence (i.e. no samples from these riders are found to be positive for EPO or transfusions)? I'm certainly in favor of harsh penalties for dopers, but this has the potential to put a further cloud of suspicion over many top riders, and cycling in general, without much hard evidence. What a mess.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Now El Pais is reporting that about 200 names of professional cyclists have been found at the blood clinic, they've got video of riders coming and going from the place, etc.
They are also saying that all the big Spanish riders are among the names with the exception of Valverde.

With Bruyneel coming out of Saiz's doping program and a large number of Disco pros living in Spain, it seems likely that Disco might be using the same doping infrastructure as the Spanish teams.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Americano_a_Roma said:
What's the statue of limitations for this stuff? I mean, suppose it comes out that Basso and Ullrich and Gutierrez and God knows who else had been doping, but that it happened 3-4 years ago, what then? What if it's all based on patient records from the "clinic", but there's never any medical evidence (i.e. no samples from these riders are found to be positive for EPO or transfusions)? I'm certainly in favor of harsh penalties for dopers, but this has the potential to put a further cloud of suspicion over many top riders, and cycling in general, without much hard evidence. What a mess.
Well given the money and resources and legal permission it would be easy to link the blood found to riders via genetic testing or something similar.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Well given the money and resources and legal permission it would be easy to link the blood found to riders via genetic testing or something similar.
I don't see how any of this can effect the current race (other than LS terminating their contract) regardless of the ultimate outcome. Even genetically linking samples to athletes is useless because all it shows is that they donated the blood; since it's still in the bag it was clearly never used for doping purposes, regardless of the intent of the donation.

They would have to fail a control at the race to get DQ'd and especially with autologous transfusion that isn't going to happen. And as long as they don't admit to using it for specific races (like Millar) the victories aren't going to be taken away either.

Unfortunately none of that would prevent this from effectively killing off the sport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.