Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Giro d'Italia 2017

Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Stage 10 Review:

As expected, this stage really scrambled the GC. In a show of unremitting power, skill and will Tom Dumoulin captured the Maglia Rosa and succeeded in putting his nearest rival, Nairo Quintana, almost two and a half minutes in the red. Under normal circumstances, one could be confident that Quintana will easily reel Dumoulin back as the roads get steeper, but Dumoulin has shown unexpected resiliency in the mountains.

If Quintana does indeed recapture the jersey, another TT looms down the road and it stands to reason that Dumoulin might jump out to another lead - one Quintana will not have enough time to rectify.

This GC battle is red hot. Nibali, Pinot and Mollema will all be highly motivated to kill it on the mountains - their only chance of catching the Flying Dutchman in pink.

General Classification - Top Ten after Stage Ten:
1) Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) 42:57:16
2) Nairo Quintana (Movistar) 2:23
3) Bauke Mollema (Trek – Segafredo) 2:38
4) Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) 2:40
5) Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain – Merida) 2:47
6) Bob Jungels (Quickstep) 3:56
7) Domenico Pozzovivo (Ag2R-La Mondiale) 4:05
8) Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha - Alpecin) 4:17
9) Andrey Amador (Movistar) 4:39
10) Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL – Jumbo) 5:19
The Jerseys:
Leader: Dumoulin
Mountains: Polanc
Young: Jungels

Stage 11: Firenze (Ponte a Ema) – Bagno di Romagna, 161km
Dumoulin has the Maglia Rosa, but can he keep it? With two Cat 2 and two Cat 3 climbs, he'll be given a run for his money by the Climbers.
The cannons will rolling out on the mountains today and Dumoulin will have to have a great day in the saddle…the Maglia Rosa gives you wings, right?

I’m looking for a full-fledged Movistar attack on an isolated Dumoulin – others may mix in but I suspect alternating attacks from Amador and, towards the end, Quintana will sorely test Dumoulin’s newly acquired mountaineering skills.

My Call: Nibali benefits from the fireworks and wins the stage propelling himself into second or third place on GC. Dumoulin holds on to pink, but just barely.

Stage 11 Profile:
Text Slope Red White Line
Stage 11 Map:
Blue Yellow Text Red White

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Dumoulin can let Amador go. The hard part here for Movistar is they NEED Amador near Quintana for the descends. Quintana is not much better at descending than Pinot is. Which gives a huge advantage to Nibali. Would not be shocked if he tries an attack on the last descent. I agree Dumoulin holds pink, but I think he keeps a decent margin for now. Don't forget about Zakarin trying to reel in some time as well. He most likely can follow Nibali on the descent.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
For Frenchmen, I like Rolland and Pinot.
They are sitting well.

38th place is at 2:25. Plenty of "striking distance." But tough to see Geraint this far back.

Plenty of road ahead. The only person I would count out at this point would be TvG.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.