Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Giro d'Italia 2017

Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Stage 15: Valdengo – Bergamo , 199km
A bumpy Sunday ride from Valdengo suddenly gets chippy 149km in as the peloton has to then scale a Cat 2 immediately followed by a Cat 3 before a hasty run into beautiful Bergamo. A pretty ride no doubt, but also one which might favor a late but aggressive breakaway. Also possible – a GC contender, Pinot perhaps, will take a hard shot at his rivals as a recovery day follows and he has time to rest-up before the daunting climbs of Stage 16.

My call: Some young no-name Giro first-timer takes this stage as the veteran leaders of the peloton look on and act upset…slamming their handlebars in faux frustration for the cameras.

Stage 15 Profile:
Text Red Slope White Colorfulness
Stage 15 Map:
Blue Yellow Text Red White

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Wow, what a stage and finish! Man, Quickstep is having a great Giro thus far. Hats off to Jungles. He looks like he could be a career top 10 grand tour guy and a regular threat for one week races and one day races if he stays healthy and plays his cards right. Gaviria looks like he is ready to challenge the big boys from here on out. I will be pulling for them to keep it going.

Giro d’Italia: Brilliant Jungels wins in Bergamo | News | Quick-Step Floors Cycling Team

·
Registered
361 Posts
Think that was bull with Dumoulin having peleton hold up for Naira when he feel. He feel not because of other circumstances but because of his lack of handling skill. Movistar never stops for anybody, they did it in this race to Sky, and Nairo won his Giro by hauling down a hill when everyone else slowed down because I believe race was holted by officials, shady guy. He would not have done the same thing he would of said "I knew nothing of crash". Of well you heard it from me Nairo will win by this amount once mountains come into play.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Think that was bull with Dumoulin having peleton hold up for Naira when he feel. He feel not because of other circumstances but because of his lack of handling skill. Movistar never stops for anybody, they did it in this race to Sky, and Nairo won his Giro by hauling down a hill when everyone else slowed down because I believe race was holted by officials, shady guy. He would not have done the same thing he would of said "I knew nothing of crash". Of well you heard it from me Nairo will win by this amount once mountains come into play.
yep... I did not like Q sprinting for bonus seconds at the end today..... TD should have just left him.... Q crashed all on his own, he had a team mate right with him.. forget Q.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I also agree that TD should have left him. Q crashed on his own because he's not a good bike handler and a bad descender.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I disagree. As race leader Dumoulin must show class and leadership.

That's exactly what he did.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Class and leadership would have come into play if Nairo went down because of someone elses accident or another rider hitting him, he went down because of lack of descending skill. To me this skill is part of competitive cycling. Should leader halt peleton when climbing hills because someone is struggling to keep pace, No, nor will Nairo hold back when he drops TM in the high mountains, but your perspective says he should, why race at all.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
IMO, the only time you should actually truly slow down and wait is for a mechanical issue. A crash not of your doing don't attack, but you don't need to slow down. A crash of your own doing definitely don't slow down and you can attack. It is called a race for a reason. If you can't descend and don't have good bike handling abilities that is your own problem and not something the rest of the peloton should worry about. Unlike Pinot who is still a terrible descender who has at least tried to get better at it, Quintana has done nothing to get better at descending. When he's not racing he goes back to Colombia.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I disagree. As race leader Dumoulin must show class and leadership.

That's exactly what he did.
Agreed.

Like Dumoulin said, it was the sporting thing to do. And I don't mind him going back to Colombia, plenty of mtn roads obviously, plus he seems like a family guy.

What really surprises me is Dumoulin...I knew he was a TT stud but didn't know he could climb this well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
IMO, the only time you should actually truly slow down and wait is for a mechanical issue. A crash not of your doing don't attack, but you don't need to slow down. A crash of your own doing definitely don't slow down and you can attack. It is called a race for a reason. If you can't descend and don't have good bike handling abilities that is your own problem and not something the rest of the peloton should worry about. Unlike Pinot who is still a terrible descender who has at least tried to get better at it, Quintana has done nothing to get better at descending. When he's not racing he goes back to Colombia.
Agree 100%, mechanical yes you slow down accident not from your own doing yes, other wise full gas.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Agreed.

Like Dumoulin said, it was the sporting thing to do. And I don't mind him going back to Colombia, plenty of mtn roads obviously, plus he seems like a family guy.

What really surprises me is Dumoulin...I knew he was a TT stud but didn't know he could climb this well.
I think it's the race leader's discretion and Dumoulin conducted himself the way I hope I would. Yeah TD is legit. He has actually been in this same exact position before. He almost won the 2015 Vuelta, but it slipped away on one of the final climbs. The last week will be telling in this year's Giro as well. Thus far, the climbing has been the kind TD likes (shorter at the end of easy stages otherwise), but they will now enter Quintana's playground that is filled with long brutal climbs sometimes coming one after the other. It should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
He has actually been in this same exact position before. He almost won the 2015 Vuelta, but it slipped away on one of the final climbs.
Well, not the exact same. He hadn't expected to contend for GC at the Vuelta. Although he defended the jersey brilliantly that year he was always fairly sanguine about his prospects. This is the first time time he's come into a GT fully commited and prepared for GT leadership.

I really like TD. He's very composed and thoughtful in interviews and is a tenacious competitor. I respected that he didn't let the 2015 Vuelta success dictate his program. He built his 2016 plan around the Olymics TT where he took Silver, promising to widen his perspective this year. Sure enough, here he is in Pink and looking good.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Well, not the exact same. He hadn't expected to contend for GC at the Vuelta. Although he defended the jersey brilliantly that year he was always fairly sanguine about his prospects. This is the first time time he's come into a GT fully commited and prepared for GT leadership.

I really like TD. He's very composed and thoughtful in interviews and is a tenacious competitor. I respected that he didn't let the 2015 Vuelta success dictate his program. He built his 2016 plan around the Olymics TT where he took Silver, promising to widen his perspective this year. Sure enough, here he is in Pink and looking good.
I like TD as well. I kind of hope he wins this one, but he will truly earn it this week if he does. His competitors are circling. He can't afford another day like today IMO. I appreciate the mental fortitude he demonstrated though. Pulling for him, Jungles, Fraile, Gaviria, and Zakarin the rest of the way.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
well, it looks like Quintana and Moviestar didn't return the favor when TD got the "run" eh. That's what happens when you're the nice guy sometimes. But it's hard to blame Quintana fully too. If other GC contenders go, he has no choice but to go with them. And we all know Nibali is quite an opportunist of all the GC guys.

well I'll be rooting for Dumoulin going onward!

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
well, it looks like Quintana and Moviestar didn't return the favor when TD got the "run" eh. That's what happens when you're the nice guy sometimes. But it's hard to blame Quintana fully too. If other GC contenders go, he has no choice but to go with them. And we all know Nibali is quite an opportunist of all the GC guys.

well I'll be rooting for Dumoulin going onward!
Dumoulin seems to indicate this isn't the kind of situation he would expect the peloton to slow down for. At least that's what he is saying publicly.

'Terrible' toilet stop wrecks Dumoulin's Giro hopes | VeloNews.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts