Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Giro d'Italia 2017

Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Stage 19 Recap
Mikel Landa (Sky), after numerous close calls, finally won his Giro stage.
Dumoulin, by his own accounting, had a bad day in which tactical mistakes and “bad legs” cost him his Maglia Rosa.

Nairo Quintana (Movistar) is our new Maglia Rosa, but only by the slimmest margins – the rest of the top five are within arm’s reach of snatching the pink jersey away from him in Asiago tomorrow.

General Classification after Stage 19 (Top Five):
1) Nairo Quintana (Movistar) 85:02:40
2) Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) 0:00:38
3) Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) 0:00:45
4) Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) 0:00:53
5) Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha-Alpecin) 0:01:21

The Jerseys:
Leader: Quintana
Mountains: Landa
Young: Yates

Stage 20: Pordenone - Asiago, 190km

The two Cat 1 climbs at Monte Grappa and then at Foza and a downhill rush into Asiago will determine the outcome in a stage that seems set for a breakaway.

Should a breakaway form, look for Landa, Pinot and/or Zakarin within its ranks. If one of these makes it into or across to the breakaway, things could get dicey for Quintana and his two group ride buddies; Dumoulin and Nabali.

My Call: Nibali takes the Pink.

The change in jersey ownership at the end of Stage 19 will inspire an all-out shoot-out during Stage 20 – Nibali, Pinot and Zakarin are likely to attack Quintana with everything they have. Movistar will have to step up to defend the jersey. Quintana's shortage of descending skills may cost him dearly.

Dumoulin, assuming his legs have recovered, just needs to keep a cool head and hang on to that front group of GC contenders. If he can do so, his chances of taking the final pink jersey, and the most important one, are looking good in Stage 21 – only a complete blow-up, costing him multiple minutes on the GC, could take him out of contention.

Stage 20 Profile:
Text Red Slope White Line
Stage 20 Map:
Yellow Text Red White Line

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Dumoulin has been making his own bad luck lately though I think he is the strongest overall.

I guess depends how steep the Foza is as Tom was looking ragged on the final climb in st 19. The downhill into Asiago isn't really a mtn downhill though. 15km of rolling terrain which might suit Dumoulin just fine for closing a minute gap if necessary. However if he is alone again at the top of the FOza while NQ Pinot and VN are in a lead group working together ... his TT skills might not match their group effort

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Dumoulin looked pretty well cooked stage 19.
I think Quintana and Nibali duke it out, and Nibali comes out in the pink on St 20, and this holds through Sunday's TT.

St 20 - riders will be spread out all over the slopes of the first climb. Here, I think teams will really count.

There is a lot of possibility for mayhem, since like St 19 the situation is set for a significant breakaway, with a maglia rosa chaser group - with contenders that can bridge from peloton to chaser to teste - once the peloton gets shredded on that first climb.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
So, so tired of watching Quintana suck wheels for two weeks and five days only to pop out on the penultimate stage. This guy is completely devoid of personality, guts and gusto and makes for all around lame watching.

·
Shut up legs
35 Posts
So, so tired of watching Quintana suck wheels for two weeks and five days only to pop out on the penultimate stage. This guy is completely devoid of personality, guts and gusto and makes for all around lame watching.
Agreed, I really dislike Quintana... tomorrow should be a good race.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Agreed, I really dislike Quintana... tomorrow should be a good race.
Yup and Yup!

I bet there's a certain sense of tension in the tour busses/hotels tonight. They know tomorrow is all out war.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Quintana pulls, keeping a cap on things for nearly the final 2k, only to be passed up in a final sprint, which he knew was coming.
Why does everyone hate him for riding a hard and strategic race?
I am glad Pinot gets a stage.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quintana pulls, keeping a cap on things for nearly the final 2k, only to be passed up in a final sprint, which he knew was coming.
Why does everyone hate him for riding a hard and strategic race?
I am glad Pinot gets a stage.
First pull of his career. I guess even he was riddled with feelings of guilt for being a career wheel sucking opportunist. F that guy.

I too am happy for Thibaut.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
First pull of his career. I guess even he was riddled with feelings of guilt for being a career wheel sucking opportunist. F that guy.

I too am happy for Thibaut.
I guess this is just a dumb thing to do, but I will add another comment regarding Quintana-hate:

Sure, his team helped him a lot. Kudos to them.
No one pulled him up to the finish line on Stage 9 - he distanced the main competitors by half a minute. Beyond that, they all had more than half of the entire Giro to figure something out. Plenty of difficult riding with which to make a big move, or figure out how to isolate Quintana.

If anything, the other contenders were boring and played it conservative for the remainder.

This is a perennial complaint about GTs: if there is enough challenge in the course at any point before the final week, then the final week is boring. If there is no challenge before the final week, then the entire tour except for the final week is boring.

If a GT adds cobbles to make it interesting, everyone complains.

I am not a Quintana fan, but I recognize a good job. If I could ride like that, I would not have done anything different.

Next: the doping accusations.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I think only if his TT improves greatly will there be doping accusations.

No, I'm not a fan of Quintana's either. When I first saw him back in the 2012 Tour I have expected more form him and he hasn't really delivered much. He's also not a good tactician at all and IMO has not shown leadership abilities.

On the other hand, definitely congratulations go to the rest of the Movistar team. They have done a great job and put into place good strategies that Quintana was not able to deliver on. They should win the team title.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Here here.

·
off the back
15,581 Posts
Thing is, his first year or two in the peloton, he could just ride away from practically anyone on the climbs. since then, he has made attacks, but he doesn't get a good advantage, and most of the time the others can claw their way back up to him. It seems his peak climbing ability has dropped down to roughly the level of the rest of the good climbers.

I think he may be enjoying the success he's had, and hasn't been quite doing the training he did when he started out. Course, he might not be climbing all over the Colombian hills like he used to either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts