Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Giro d'Italia 2017

Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Arm Tourism Spire Landmark T-shirt

What a great Centennial Giro d’Italia it has been. The Corsa Rosa always promises drama and beauty and this race has proven to be no different. Filled with sub-plots and individual tragedies as well as unbelievable individual and team accomplishments – it also seemed to herald the arrival of a changing of the guard at the very top of our favorite sport with many new names making huge entries into the Giro’s illustrious history books.

As the final Maglia Rosa is draped over the shoulders of its well-deserving champion, I’ll have to control the urge to look forward to the 101st edition – and just savior the moment, like a fine Chianti.

Thanks for following my ramblings yet again this year and sharing your insights as well. Ciao Bella!

Stage 21: Monza National Raceway - Piazza Duomo (Milano), 29.3km

And the last shall be first…not.

Starting from the world famous Monza Autodromo, this ITT is going to be an amazingly fast downhill affair. The last man to ride into the Piazza Duomo will be wearing a pink skinsuit, but will not ascend to the top of the podium to a shower of prosecco and pink confetti, that honor will go to the races best ITTer. The 100th Giro d’Italia will have fulfilled its promise yet again.

My Call: The Netherlands will exchange orange for pink – at least for this evening.

Stage 21 Profile:
Text Slope White Line Font
Stage 21 Map:
Yellow Text White Line Font

Attachments

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
LostViking - Again, thanks so much for setting up a place to get caught up on the race while hanging out with a decent crowd!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I predict that TD will win the overall GC.
I predict Nibbles will be second.
I predict third to go to Pinot.
NQ and IZ will be close for fourth but both will miss podium I predict.

Was a great tour no matter what, really solid mountain stages.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm with everyone else in predicting Dumoulin wins. Heck even Movistar's boss said Quintana won't win overall tomorrow and it's Dumoulin's.
I would not be shocked if Quintana does not even podium. Nibali and Pinot are better TTers and Pinot if he rides a TT he is capable of can put a minute into Quintana. I think Zakarin is too far behind.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
I predict that TD will win the overall GC.
I predict Nibbles will be second.
I predict third to go to Pinot.
NQ and IZ will be close for fourth but both will miss podium I predict.

Was a great tour no matter what, really solid mountain stages.
You wrote what I'm thinking. Though, possibly, Pinot finds the tt prowess he showed a bit ago and surpasses Nibali.

Actually, I would love to see Pinot somehow pull off the overall. Maybe Dumoulin falters or has a mechanical (Or a biological), and ends up second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Congrats to Dumoulin with a well-deserved win.
Special shout-out to Rosskopf, placing 5th on today's stage.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I feel like Dumoulin became a grown man (as a pro cyclist) in this Tour. Well done. He beat top flight competitors and overcame adversity. Quintana is the real deal too in my opinion. He almost pulled off another grand tour, same for Nibali. Both were impressive at times. I am also happy to see Jungles come away with the white jersey and Gaviria end up best sprinter. Great race. Giro > TDF. Oh and thanks for hosting LV.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
This was another closely fought Giro. A lot of fun to watch, with lead changes and crazy turns of events. But also some sad crashes too.

Looking fwd to the Tour and hope Nario didn't dig himself into too much a hole that he can't keep Froome fightin hard for his fourth.

TDF still The One

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Epic! GT won on a 20-mile downhill time trial!

I wonder if TD Suntour team looked at the 2017 GdI, and realized: hey, if a great TTer can be within a minute of podium by penultimate day, then they are on podium!?

Let's -- DO IT!!!

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Epic! GT won on a 20-mile downhill time trial!

I wonder if TD Suntour team looked at the 2017 GdI, and realized: hey, if a great TTer can be within a minute of podium by penultimate day, then they are on podium!?

Let's -- DO IT!!!
although the profile may show this as a downhill, it's practically flat for these guys. Start and end elevation is like 70m different, not enough significance. But I agree, no doubt Dumoulin targeted this Giro due to its 2 big ITT. I read that the Giro organizers wanted to put in the big TT stages in an attempt to draw in Froome. It would have been nice to see Froome, (whom I think would stand a great chance winning this Giro too), shame that him and Sky are so obsessed on TdF

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Congrats TD! You have to be happy with that finish! Great course, great effort by TD to stay at the front with the climbers. He gives 30lbs to NQ! Half that to Nibali. The TTs were the conference makers, so I guess if you aren't a fan of TT then the wrong guy won. But it was an incredible effort on the climbs that had hi, in such great position! Congrats to Sunweb too, although it seems like Movistar was the best team in terms of support, or bettersaid, NQ looked like he had (needed?) the best support. While Froome is a little bigger, you'd have to go back to Wiggins to find a recent GC winner this size, right? I didn't look, so maybe I'm wrong on that...

Great race! Thanks once again LV for hosting us all! Your efforts are greatly appreciated! And thanks to everyone for Tour watching and talking and maybe cycling geeking out a little together! Haha!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well Movistar did win the team classification title. They had some great tactics for several stages, it just appeared Nairo could not execute after the rest of them team did their jobs. However, Tom also did an excellent job. I've read some people comparing him to Miguel Indurain. I think there may be some fair comparisons there, although they are different riders in different eras.
Looking forward to seeing what happens at the Tour and also what Movistar decides to do. This year's Tour route is not for the pure climbers and does not have much in the way of high altitude. When the tour route first came out my first thought was wow, if only this route was 10 years ago, it is a perfect route for Valverde and at 27 instead of 37 he'd be the favorite to win it. Not a lot of uphill finishes and the ones they mostly favor the punchuers not the pure climbers. With how Quintana did/did not preform in the Giro does Movistar change it's mind and instead of Quintana being sole leader do they go with co leaders. Does Valverde choose to risk another overall Vuelta win and go for another Tour. He does want another Vuelta and is chasing history there with both podiums and green jerseys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts