Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Giro d'Italia - Stage Seven Results
After a dicey final 10km, we were treated to a somewhat more traditional sprint, which led to Caleb Ewan's long awaited first win in this Giro. In a head-to-head with Gavi and Bennett, the young Aussie came out on top, to the relief of his fans who have been holding their collective breaths for just such an outcome.

Only minor reshuffling in the top ten of the GC and no change in the jerseys - on to the next stage!

General Classification Standings after Stage Seven:
1) Bob Jungels (Quick-Step) 33h 56’ 07”
2) Geraint Thomas (SKY) 0’ 10”
3) Adam Yates (Orica-Scott)
4) Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida)
5) Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
6) Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb)
7) Nairo Quintana (Movistar)
8) Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo)
9) Andrey Amador (Movistar)
10) Tejay Van Garderen (BMC)

The Jerseys:
Leader: Jungels
Mountains: Polanc
Youth: Jungels

Stage Eight: Molfetta - Peschici, 189km

The coastal theme continues. Punctuated by the Monte Sant'Angelo (Cat 2) and Coppa Santa Tecla (Cat 4) climbs. These climbs are distant enough from the finish to allow anyone shed off the back to regain the peloton. The finish promises to be bumpy on "cozy" stone pavers and a sudden uphill ramp at the finish.

My call: I think we're looking at another mass sprint unless a breakaway of non-GC Contenders can get some breathing room from a complacent Maglia Rosa and the peloton which he leads. If the breakaway is let go, all bets are off but I'm calling this one for "The Gorilla".

Stage Eight Profile:
Text Slope Red White Line

Stage Eight Map:
Blue Yellow Colorfulness Text Red

1 - 2 of 2 Posts