Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Font Logo Brand Graphics
Note: This thread may contain a spoiler. Do not read further until you have seen the stage for yourself or have no objection to a spoiler.

Giro d'Italia - Stage Four Results

Whaaaaaaat!!! Wow, amazing ride by Jan Polanc (UAE Team) to take Stage Four and the Mountains Jersey of the 100th Giro. He broke away early and never looked back. If you ever dreamed of winning a Grand Tour Stage, Polanc just wrote the script!

A look at the current GC below reveals that the cream has indeed risen to the top - all the GC contenders are within 10 seconds of each other!
Now begins the war of attrition.

General Classification Standings after Stage Four:
1) Bob Jungels (Quick-Step) 19:41:56
2) Geraint Thomas (Team Sky) 0:00:06
3) Adam Yates (Orica-Scott) 0:00:10
4) Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida)
5) Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
6) Nairo Quintana (Movistar)
7) Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb)
8) Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo)
9) Mikel Landa (Team Sky)
10) Thibaut Pinot (FDJ)

Best situated team is Team Sky with two realistic contenders positioned in the top ten. It will be interesting to see how Sky plays this one out.

The Jerseys:
Leader: Jungels
Sprinter: Greipel
Mountains: Polanc
Youth: Jungels

Stage Five: Pedara - Messina, 159km

After a bumpy start including a Cat 4 climb, this route flattens out halfway through on coastal roads and will likely end in a sprint in the city of Messina. If the wind kicks up in the second half, crosswinds might be a major factor - especially in the GC if one or more of the big names gets caught out.

I'm looking for "The Gorilla" to have the reserves and the willpower to cross this finish line first.

With only ten seconds separating most of the realistic GC contenders, they will seek to make it safely through this stage and carefully mark all rivals to forestall any nasty surprises.

My call: Barring accidents or a crosswind induced massacre; Greipel gets the stage win and Jungels remains in pink for Stage Six.

Stage Five Profile:
Text Slope Red White Line

Stage Five Map:
Blue Red Line Font Colorfulness

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
.... and Fernando Gaviria has arrived. Welcome to the best sprinters discussion Fernando. Seriously, I wonder how long the quickstep budget will be able to cover the salaries of both Gaviria and Kittell if one of both don't become more relevant in the clasics.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.... and Fernando Gaviria has arrived. Welcome to the best sprinters discussion Fernando. Seriously, I wonder how long the quickstep budget will be able to afford both Gaviria and Kittell if one of both don't become more relevant in the clasics.
Fernando Gaviria is for reals!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
.... and Fernando Gaviria has arrived. Welcome to the best sprinters discussion Fernando. Seriously, I wonder how long the quickstep budget will be able to cover the salaries of both Gaviria and Kittell if one of both don't become more relevant in the clasics.
Yeah, great point... Can Gaviria finish a grand tour? That may make the difference. Like Sagan. Master of green at Le Tour because he can finish and hang on to the sprinter segments while the pure sprinters are getting the stages and going home to catch up on Netflix long before the race is over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts