Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the television schedule versus has for the cycling season but didnt see the Giro d'Italia.

Is it televised in the US?

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Versus will probably do what they did last year, which is to show one or two hour weekly recaps on the weekend. It's not worth your time.

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
If Lance declares that he intends to go for the win I bet the coverage improves, as viewership will with LA in the field. The ToC got good coverage. I was so glad to see the throngs of US cycling fans.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i think vs is looking at inking a daily coverage package. not to the extent of ToC or TdF unfortunately. probably gets in the way of other contracts they have out there with rodeo or something.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
From what I have heard Versus did not get the rights and will not be showing any of it....in fact it is possible that the only place to see it will be Cycling.tv as I head that NBC did not get the rights either.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The ToC got good coverage.
If you are talking about vs then there is no way I could call that good coverage. Almost nothing for day 2 and 3 and then skip the second uphill in the last stage.

·
Registered
599 Posts
if you can live without english commentary, RAI provides daily Giro coverage on DISH network-(ch 600)- cost is about $12 additional for the month
in the fall, I pick up DISH's latino package for approx the same to receive TVEI's Vuelta coverage.

·
Registered
832 Posts
gh1 said:
If you are talking about vs then there is no way I could call that good coverage. Almost nothing for day 2 and 3 and then skip the second uphill in the last stage.
But, I'd take a few days of Giro coverage by VS instead of nothing at all, which is what we're currently facing, unless we get some news soon about the NBC/Universal negotiations. Actually, that may not matter either, because the coverage map for Universal is very weak and most of us do not get it.

G

·
I am sure it will be on Cycling.tv, I am even more confident that trying to watch it on cycling.tv will be the most frustrating thing I've done since I tried to watch MSR on there last season.

Here's hoping for some sort of coverage via the tv or online video in english, its my favorite GT to watch by far. Not to mention this is one of the best GT fields in quite some time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
caterham said:
if you can live without english commentary, RAI provides daily Giro coverage on DISH network-(ch 600)- cost is about $12 additional for the month
in the fall, I pick up DISH's latino package for approx the same to receive TVEI's Vuelta coverage.
RAI's exclusive rights to the Giro expired at the end of 2008. RCS expressed that they were keen for wider broadcast than what RAI could offer and were keen to include an English speaking network in any future tv rights negotiations. The Armstrong factor should help this somewhat and hopefully mean that a lot of country's get to see more of this year's Giro than just brief news segments.

·
Registered
755 Posts
moonmoth said:
But, I'd take a few days of Giro coverage by VS instead of nothing at all, which is what we're currently facing, unless we get some news soon about the NBC/Universal negotiations. Actually, that may not matter either, because the coverage map for Universal is very weak and most of us do not get it.

Well sure. I just wouldnt call the coverage good thats all. Everything is better than the wide world of sports days where I got to see about 15 minutes of actual racing and find out how Lemond was doing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
kytyree said:
I am sure it will be on Cycling.tv, I am even more confident that trying to watch it on cycling.tv will be the most frustrating thing I've done since I tried to watch MSR on there last season.

Here's hoping for some sort of coverage via the tv or online video in english, its my favorite GT to watch by far. Not to mention this is one of the best GT fields in quite some time.
I am not familiar with Cycling.tv, but have heard nothing but terrible things.

I will seriously miss being able to dvr it and watch it on the big screen at any time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
shouldn't also be on/through cyclingfans via at least a justin tv link...it may not be in english but didn't this site have it last year...or am i losing my mind?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll be there. at least for the team time trial in Venice. It's only 40 minutes away from my house. Ironically, I'm heading back to the states the rest of the race for a wedding and to see family. oh well, there is always next year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
serfur1 said:
I'll be there. at least for the team time trial in Venice. It's only 40 minutes away from my house. Ironically, I'm heading back to the states the rest of the race for a wedding and to see family. oh well, there is always next year.
What that is pretty darn selfish of the bride and groom not to think of you and the Tour. I'd position harder than the french doing drug testing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How about on Directv ?

Anyone know if the Giro will be televised on Directv, it looks like they offer some Italian programming..... as far as I can tell it consists on SKY TG24, GOLTV, and the Fox Soccer Channel.

edit: Sky TG24 was dropped on Dec 7th 2008 according to wikipedia

Nevermind, I just called and they have NOTHING according to the rep.

·
Registered
108 Posts
cycling.tv has made some changes, I've had no problems this week watching the Paris Nice race. Even on the higher resolution, there was no choppy interrupted moments like last year. Unfortunately that's the best we can hope for in the US.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts