Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to get a new Giro helmet (likely Eclipse or if I get crazy...a Pneumo). My old Giro (which I've had for 3 years) is the cheap, but functional Laguna. That was a MEDIUM. It was on the snug side...could be a little looser, but more or less fine. However, when I used a balaclava or sock hat...it was unbearable and it would not sit properly. But I still forced it.

This time, I want to do it right. I was thinking of getting a LARGE, but since my noggin measures 22.5 inches, I'm supposed to be a Medium, by Giro's scale. Question is, is Giro's scale accurate or does it run small? And is it a good idea to lean towards the Large so it can comfortably accomodate a sock hat/balaclava? And then I can just tighten the straps or add padding when I don't wear one. I hear to Roc Loc system does a pretty good job of snugging things up.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I went with Giro's scale..

sokratikus said:
Planning to get a new Giro helmet (likely Eclipse or if I get crazy...a Pneumo).

I measured my head and ordered a Giro over the interent two years ago. They put me in a size medium. You can do fine tuning with the loc-roc system and the extra pads included. I also wear something under my helmet all year round. You should not have a problem if you take an accurate measurement. I went with an Eclipse and find it to be extremely comfortable and it has never given me problems. I think the Pneumo might have more vents and is lighter...if you order a size too large then you are going to end up sticking a lot of padding in there and you will have problems with heat and sweat. Just in case you don't know, DON'T stick any padding in the forehead area. It will absorb sweat and drip down into your eyes....I'd get a Pneumo if you can afford one, otherwise the Eclipse is a good helmet.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pneumo

Thanks, D. I actually got to a bike shop that carried the Pneumos on inventory. My noggin, though technically a M, is too wide. I have a better fit (though not perfect) with the L. I tried all the Giros (even the MTB ones) and the Bells. The Pneumo was the closest to a best fit (how convenient...).

I found that the Roc Loc 4 system is pretty cool though. It snugged up the L, where it is definitely workable.

Thanks again.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Eclipse versus Pneumo

sokratikus said:
Thanks, D. I actually got to a bike shop that carried the Pneumos on inventory. My noggin, though technically a M, is too wide. I have a better fit (though not perfect) with the L. I tried all the Giros (even the MTB ones) and the Bells. The Pneumo was the closest to a best fit (how convenient...).

I found that the Roc Loc 4 system is pretty cool though. It snugged up the L, where it is definitely workable.

Thanks again.

I have always been a large in Giro helmets - Helios, Boreas, and a 2000 model Eclipse. I bought a new Eclipse in late 2002 and either my head shrank or the helmet was a bit bigger and I had to have the RocLoc3 fully compressed to achieve a "decent" fit. However, there was no way I could wear a medium in it so I was truly between sizes. I recently bought a Pneumo in size L and it can definitely accommodate a smaller head size in its range than the Eclipse in size L. With the Pneumo I still have a bit more room with Roc Loc to go a tiny bit smaller. By the sounds of it you might be in the same boat, so be careful if you plan to buy an Eclipse based on the Pneumo sizing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric, I tend to agree with you. It seemed that the Pneumo was more than able to take up the extra space, due to taking the size up. I was overall able to make it more snug.

I'm just a little concerned about the rather long "tail" I have with the L Pneumo. The Roc Loc does its job, but the back end (ie, tail) of the helmet obviously does not follow the compressed Roc Loc. Any thoughts?

All told, will likely get the Pneumo. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts