Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my new fixie build... It's a Giro Keirin frame from Japan... Expect plenty of ride reports with this baby under my butt....

Here are the particulars

Frame: 50cm 1995 Giro Keirin frame- I bought it from a guy in Japan(eBay). I drilled the fork for a brake and added a bottle cag.
Wheels- black Phil Wood hubs laced the Velocity Fusion rims-Michelin Axial tires
Saddle/seatpost- Black Brooks B17 / bag and Dura Ace post
Hatta Swan bottom bracket and headset
Dura Ace 7600 track cranks and cog- I'm running 42 x 16
Cinelli bars and stem with very cool black bar tape that has deep red stitching....

This is my second Keirin frame. I really like these bikes...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
That was quick

That came out really nice. Walk me through the bottle cage work as well as drilling the crown. If you could get a side quarter view so I could see the caliper bolt and how high up the shoes are in the shoe bolt slots, that would be great. Yeah, the keirin thing's addictive. EMS baby, it's fast!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll take some pics later.... I've learned that you really need to measure the fork as it depends on the fork length.

On my Panasonic, I drilled as high up as I could go and I still had to use a Dia Compe very short reach brake. I think the minimum is 35mm vs 39mm for standard short reach. The Panasonic has a proportionately longer head tube to offset the shorter fork

On this bike, I drilled in the same spot and I ended up being able to use a standard Dura Ace short reach brake. There is still room for the pads to go higher. If I had to do it over again, I would have lowered the hole on this bike and raised the pads to the limit..The hole is right at the top of the crown

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Beautiful as usual. I love the color combo. I love the fork, seems straight at first glance. Hope the weather is good your way so you can break this beauty in properly. Your killing us, again !!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
How many Dura Ace groups is one allowed to own?

Once again, nice build. If Texas wasn't so far from Pennsylvania, I'd consider coming down there and burglarizing your garage. Not only do you ride the same size stuff, but you also have a soft spot for red/black combos.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Nice Dave, as usual. I like the yellow accents in the cutouts. That paint job with the headtube and seattube matching is underrated, esp. on a lugged frame.

How are you liking the Velocity Fusion rims? They look great with the black Phil hubs (drool). I have a set on my regular road bike and they have been great.

And finally, :ciappa: . All you short guys have all the fun. You think it's even worth me looking at ebay Japan for a frame. :nonod:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.