Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new helmet, comparing the Giro Atmos to the Giro Pneumo.
It seems like the Atmos should be somehow better, but I cannot really tell. Does anyone have reasons why the Atmos is worth the extra money, why the Atmos is better?

Did anyone pick the Atmos over the Pneumo? If so, why? If not, why not?

thx.

·
Registered
327 Posts
jakerson said:
I've been looking at getting a new helmet, comparing the Giro Atmos to the Giro Pneumo.
It seems like the Atmos should be somehow better, but I cannot really tell. Does anyone have reasons why the Atmos is worth the extra money, why the Atmos is better?

thx.
Bell Sweep is the best.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Have both of them

jakerson said:

thx.
I can't really tell much difference between the Pneumo and the Atmos.

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
Had them both- did like the Atmos a little better, but not enough for the price difference.

;)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Migrated from the Boreas to the Pneumos to the Atmos over the course of the last couple of years. Loved the Pneumos until I fell off my bike and cracked it. So I went and bought an Atmos - and it's great. Sent the Pneumos back and Bell replaced it sans charge. So now I have both and use both and you know what - they're pretty much the same.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
prefer the pneumo

atmos is a fraction lighter, and has the internal carbon cage - not sure if that makes it any safer on impact. weight difference seems negligible to me.

pneumo is cheaper, light, and marginally more aerodynamic (if that means anything to you).

i was thinking of getting a 2005 marked down atmos, but they seem a tad too large (looks, not fit) like wearing a beer cooler on your head.

jak erson said:

thx.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
the real story..

is that they will both make you go a LOT faster...
its a helmet. that is all. its there to protect your head and help you cool off on hot days.
they all work. buy the one that fits, not the one that Lancy Armstrong wears...

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
jakerson said:

thx.

I wish the Atmos fit my XXL noggin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got an Atmos for Christmas, and it is awesoms - I had asked for a new helmet for Christmas - either the Sweep, Atmos or Pnuemo - and told my mom to get whichever she wanted to pay for.

My mom said the sales guy told her the Atmos was lighter and the weight would become noticeable on really long rides, so that's what she got me.

It's way lighter than the Giro Havoc I was using. And the Helmet Pod that comes with it is pretty cool. But, the deals I've seen for an 05 Pnuemo are pretty good - I think it's only $90 at Nashbar.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
that sounds like a load of BS to get her to go for the more expensive helmet to me. i've never felt like a bike helmet was 'too heavy', and i've worn a lot of helmets over the years.

topflightpro said:
My mom said the sales guy told her the Atmos was lighter and the weight would become noticeable on really long rides.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Had a Pneumo and loved it 'til granny run me down. Then I got an Atmos. The Atmos has a little better ventilation, but the difference isn't huge. Since I ride in the Tucson, I'll take what I can get as far as ventilation goes.

It is pretty much a split hair between the two....but it might be a thick, red hair. If it helps, the Atmos comes in flat black so it functions more like a theoretical black body than the other Giro helmets. Iffin' you don't want to be spied on an IR system, don't get the flat black!

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
botto said:
that sounds like a load of BS to get her to go for the more expensive helmet to me. i've never felt like a bike helmet was 'too heavy', and i've worn a lot of helmets over the years.
FWIW- it did feel lighter, did breath a bit better, but was a bit more fiddly in fitting it up. Also saved my bacon in a nasty 20-25 MPH smash into the ground. If thr price difference doesn't phase you its a great helmet. But the Pnemo is very close and much cheaper. I like the Specialized Decibel as well- seem to have a similar fit to the Giros IMHO.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
The atmos, pneumo and sweep are all great helmets. Any decision of one over another comes down to fit. I got a sweet deal on a 2006 atmos and wound up returning it immediately upon trying the sweep. The atmos felt like it sat on top of my head, while the sweep feels like a helmet. I also prefer the Bell dial-in wheel adjuster. Resist the bling and try them on and choose the one most comfortable. It's a very individual choice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, but Giro was one of the sponsers who upheld their contract with Lance even after he contracted cancer (unlike team Cofidis). That type of company ethics means something to me. Now having said that, if it was a terrible product, I still wouldn't buy it. But if you have two good products to choose from like Bell and Giro, I'm going with Giro.

Ok anti-Lancers, tear into me!

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
it's the same company, so it doesn't really matter.

grampy bone said:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but Giro was one of the sponsers who upheld their contract with Lance even after he contracted cancer (unlike team Cofidis). That type of company ethics means something to me. Now having said that, if it was a terrible product, I still wouldn't buy it. But if you have two good products to choose from like Bell and Giro, I'm going with Giro.

Ok anti-Lancers, tear into me!

·
Administrator
12,916 Posts
grampy bone said:
I did not know that, interesting...
Yep, but they fit quite different. Bell's have never fit me well, and Giro's have. Just luck of the head shape draw I guess.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts