Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm too early on this one, but this looks to be a great one. So here's my early predictions

Podium: Levi, Menchov, and Basso. Both Levi and Menchov have looked pretty good this year and with that 61km TT, Menchov will offset any damage that Basso can do in the Mountains.

Levi has looked good in all aspects of his riding this year. He seems to be climbing better than ever and his ITT is second to none in stage races.

I may be reaching on Basso, but it's an Italian race and there's always an Italian on the podium.

As far as the outsiders, I'll put the usual suspects Cunego and DiLuca as well as Sastre, Rogers, and Armstrong. The long ITT is going to put a hurt on most of the Italian contenders

Sadly after the TTT I think Garmin will just race for training and some stage wins. Maybe they'll support Hesjedal or (gulp) Danielson for GC, but I don't think they'll be a player for the overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robdamanii said:
Isn't Vande Velde racing for Garmin?

He might have a decent showing.

He'll be there, but it looks like Garmin is taking the same approach as last year and focusing on the TDF, that's why I was thinking they'd give someone else a shot at GC. Somebody from Garmin will top 15-20, but I'm not sure about top 10.
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
I vote Levi for the win - beyond that - hard to say.

I think Lance, Horner and the A team will give him great support (every chance to win).

Basso, I am nit so sure about - he's done well in recent shorter events. He is an unknown quantity in 3 week efforts at this time. Menchov. the bridesmaid.

DiLuca, Valverde - very dark horses.
 

·
Good Person
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
It is interesting to me how much the attitude towards Levi has been changing lately. I (and others) used to get drawn and quartered for suggesting that Levi was one of the worlds top cyclists and that he had the potential to win a grand tour. Now he seems to be emerging as a favorite for the Giro. I always thought it was strange that somebody that has had so many top 10 finishes in grand tours (not to mention a few podium finishes) could be so easily dismissed. That, along with the fact that there are only two other people (in my opinion) that are in Levi's class with the ITT makes him a very serious contender in any race. Lance and Conti have both worked for him this season; both for 1st place finishes. Levi started cycling later than other pro's; maybe he is just now coming into peak performance?
On the other hand, I think Basso wants to win this race in a bad kind of way and he will be the man to beat this year.
How is Basso's time trial these days? I haven't seen him race much since he's been back. Levi is getting pretty good in the mountains; if Basso can't pull off a really good ITT in the Giro, he might be doomed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
weltyed said:
i need more time to think about this one. is contador on teh start list or not?

Nope, no Contador for this one.

I'm a little suprised at Liquigas' team selection. I thought that with this being Basso's big return they'd maybe put Nibali and Kruezinger in there, unless they're saving those two for the TDF.

Also, it seems that Saxo and Lotto aren't throwing much in there for GC.

Quick Step intrigues me though. Seeldrayers could suprise and I wonder if Albie can take on Cav.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
I'm also surprised not to see Nibali backing up Basso. Liquigas will be putting pressure on Basso to win the overall because Bennati is out due to, once again, injury.
 

·
What Would Google Do.
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
I predict armstrong to be unpredictable! xD
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
Have you guys looked at the course in detail? I mean, the Giro is always a bit different, but this year it's unlike any other 3 week tour. That 60k TT for example. The short stage with a massive climb at the end. Not to mention the normal asortment of crazy Italian roads and steepass climbs.

I really think it favors an Italian homeboy. Wouldn't be surprised to see LL or LA taken out in a crash.

Basso.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Have you guys looked at the course in detail? I mean, the Giro is always a bit different, but this year it's unlike any other 3 week tour. That 60k TT for example. The short stage with a massive climb at the end. Not to mention the normal asortment of crazy Italian roads and steepass climbs.

I really think it favors an Italian homeboy. Wouldn't be surprised to see LL or LA taken out in a crash.

Basso.
GIBO!!!!
 

·
Lemur-ing
Joined
·
18,987 Posts
pdh777 said:
I vote Levi for the win - beyond that - hard to say.

I think Lance, Horner and the A team will give him great support (every chance to win).

Basso, I am nit so sure about - he's done well in recent shorter events. He is an unknown quantity in 3 week efforts at this time. Menchov. the bridesmaid.

DiLuca, Valverde - very dark horses.
I'm picking Levi as well but Astana is not sending out the strongest team it seems.

Not too sure though.

Basso has been training a LOT (9 hour days even) and doing a lot of work on the TT bike so he'll be an 'unknown' dark horse so to speak.

I don't see anyone else challenging these 2.

Valverde cannot climb as well as Basso and Levi can and he doesn't seem to be in very good shape in the last few races IMO.

Di Luca - can't TT to save his maglia rosa if he had a 1min 30sec lead against Levi even. Heck, make that a 3 minute + lead even.
 

·
Lemur-ing
Joined
·
18,987 Posts
thechriswebb said:
It is interesting to me how much the attitude towards Levi has been changing lately. I (and others) used to get drawn and quartered for suggesting that Levi was one of the worlds top cyclists and that he had the potential to win a grand tour. Now he seems to be emerging as a favorite for the Giro. I always thought it was strange that somebody that has had so many top 10 finishes in grand tours (not to mention a few podium finishes) could be so easily dismissed. That, along with the fact that there are only two other people (in my opinion) that are in Levi's class with the ITT makes him a very serious contender in any race. Lance and Conti have both worked for him this season; both for 1st place finishes. Levi started cycling later than other pro's; maybe he is just now coming into peak performance?
On the other hand, I think Basso wants to win this race in a bad kind of way and he will be the man to beat this year.
How is Basso's time trial these days? I haven't seen him race much since he's been back. Levi is getting pretty good in the mountains; if Basso can't pull off a really good ITT in the Giro, he might be doomed.

Basso has been working on his TTs a fair bit as of late based on reading his diary online and such so, that's something. Also, he wasn't a bad TT rider to begin with too so, I'd say he's a favorite.

He's a little more of a favorite over Levi IMO just because it's his homecoming 'debut' after the hiatus. But, I think Levi is a stronger rider right now and I'm picking Levi. :)
 

·
Naso Unicornis
Joined
·
875 Posts
I don't think Armstrong will have recovered quickly enough to factor at the Giro, although the critics said the same thing regarding Contador last year. Yet his talent did over come his lack of training for the race. I'll predict a near complete Italian podium.

1. Ivan
2. Levi
3. Gilberto

Basso wants redemption for his Puerto scandal. Simoni wants his third Giro and would love to do so at the expense of Basso. Leipheimer wants his first Grand Tour win (he was very close last year). Levi is a bit of stretch because he favors The Tour, but won't be protected since Contador and Armstrong are in the race. There are other big names in the race but I believe they will use the race to train for their primary objective, The Tour.

CHL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I am still thinking that Armstrong is actually targeting this as his primary race and is planning to play distraction for Contador in the TDF. This would allow Contador to go to the Vuelta with a lot of strength and fitness.

That being said I think Basso will be very strong and a real threat. Plus he is hungry to prove himself as part of his comeback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Astana wants all 3 Grands this year. Not my predictions of the actual winner, but who they want on the podium.

LL: Giro (watch out for De Luca & Basso)
LA: Tour (Watch out for Andy Schleck)
AC: Vuelta (Watch our for L.L. Sanchez))

Astana will go away next year. Major shake up in teams after 2009.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top