Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only just recently looked at the plans for this year's Giro. It looks fascinating. Should make for great racing, and spectating that's even more scenic than the usual spectacular Italian views. That ITT along the Ligurian coast midway through looks wicked -- I can't recall one that looked that tough, at least on paper. 61 km, and climbing from sea level to nearly 2,000 feet -- twice. The final TT in Roma could be one of the most visually interesting bike race courses in history -- the forums, the Coliseum, St.Peter's square -- not to mention a twisty kilometer down the fashionable Via Veneto, and past the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Before they get there, they have six mountaintop finishes. Should be lots of fun. Anybody know what coverage Vs. will have?

·
Registered
832 Posts
JCavilia said:
Anybody know what coverage Vs. will have?
As has been tossed around in here for a few rounds, Zilch, Nada, Nothing. You could get a small hint from the Versus Paris-Roubaix coverage last weekend when they advertised the upcoming Tour of Romandie as a warm up for the Tour De France, when in reality, it is a Giro tuneup.

But before you go blame Versus, it's been heard a few times that the Giro organizers were negotiating with NBC/Universal Sports, which I guess didn't go anywhere, but may have locked out Versus from participating. You've got to believe that Versus would have at least done their usual Sunday Giro coverage, especially with the Lance factor involved.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
It's going to be a real shame if we don't get any TV coverage of the Giro.

·
Registered
72 Posts
JCavilia said:
I've only just recently looked at the plans for this year's Giro. It looks fascinating. Should make for great racing, and spectating that's even more scenic than the usual spectacular Italian views. That ITT along the Ligurian coast midway through looks wicked -- I can't recall one that looked that tough, at least on paper. 61 km, and climbing from sea level to nearly 2,000 feet -- twice. The final TT in Roma could be one of the most visually interesting bike race courses in history -- the forums, the Coliseum, St.Peter's square -- not to mention a twisty kilometer down the fashionable Via Veneto, and past the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Before they get there, they have six mountaintop finishes. Should be lots of fun. Anybody know what coverage Vs. will have?
That ITT is wicked alright. Armstrong has even said he is wondering whether he can use the TT bike. "The Giro TT is wicked hard. Never, ever flat and 62 kms. Doubtful for riding the tt bike as well. And the descents...?? Insane.." from twitter last month before his crash. Michael Rogers was also checking the course "Did a reci of the giro tt yesterday. It's tough!! Almost 1500m of vertical climbing in 62km. Some dangerous decending too."

·
Registered
832 Posts
jd3 said:
It's going to be a real shame if we don't get any TV coverage of the Giro.
Yeah, I agree. My only hope revolves around a last minute announcement of some online coverage by Universal. They seem to have done that recently with the Vuelta al País Vasco, so let's see if it happens again.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Geez, people, if you have internet, you can watch the Giro live or record it using commercially-available software, even if you don't pay for cycling.tv.

Or, just get cycling.tv and you're set.

·
Registered
832 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Geez, people, if you have internet, you can watch the Giro live or record it using commercially-available software, even if you don't pay for cycling.tv.

Or, just get cycling.tv and you're set.
Yeah, I guess. Yawn.

But some of us prefer:
  1. Liggett and Sherwin
  2. Viewing screens larger than a postage stamp
  3. Continuous video instead of a choppy stream full of interruptions, which especially seem to happen during the last 5K of that crucial mountain-top finish
  4. Not having to keep the Italian or Spanish or Flemish or Basque dictionary on-hand to decipher the commentary
  5. Being away from the dang keyboard, and not having to worry if we have the correct plugin, or codec, or browser, or operating system!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed, Moonmoth

moonmoth said:
Yeah, I guess. Yawn.

But some of us prefer:
  1. Liggett and Sherwin
  2. Viewing screens larger than a postage stamp
  3. Continuous video instead of a choppy stream full of interruptions, which especially seem to happen during the last 5K of that crucial mountain-top finish
  4. Not having to keep the Italian or Spanish or Flemish or Basque dictionary on-hand to decipher the commentary
  5. Being away from the dang keyboard, and not having to worry if we have the correct plugin, or codec, or browser, or operating system!
and thanks for the bad news, I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts