Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Contador solidly in the lead, the Stage 16 individula time trial continues the theme of this year's Giro: CLIMB! I guess not all 12.7k are climbing, as there is a 1k descent half a clikc from the start house.

The tricky thing about ITTs is you are not marking anyone, just the clock. You must know not only who had the fastest time, but also where en course they were fastest. You must then govern yourself. Going too hot too early can kill a rider's performance.

The easy money here is Contador. The way he has been riding is far superior to anyone else. With a day away from racing his legs will feel fresh. He also has the greatest advantage: going last. Riis will know who did what where on the mountain. That type of information is only rivaled by insider trading.

The two days after the ITT play to Nibali's kamikazi descending skills. A buck nine behind Scarponi, if he can limit his losses on the ITT he may be able to takes second overall.

Scarponi will be looking to distance himself from Nibali. He has already shown he can climb alone.

Garzelli: ibid. But he has tha added advantage of leading the Mountain race.

Then you have Roman Kreuzinger, Anton, Sella, Rodriguez, Rujano (but he can't ride behind Contador during the ITT!), etc.

Smart money is on Contador, but I will go with Garzelli here.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I think AC will add more time to his overall with this ITT.

It's short and we've seen what he can do in the mountains.

·
Quadrogenarian
316 Posts
I dunno weltyed. I think Garzelli burned a lot of matches on Stage 15.

I'm conflicted whether AC will cruise and not expend too much effort since he has a comfortable lead, or will want to demonstrate his dominance. I'll lean toward the former and say Rujano takes it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Why do they always make these stage profile pictures in psuedo-3D? It just makes them harder to read and throws off perception.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
AC is pissed off about the doping charge and something makes me think he is in it for a commanding victory. He might be trying to make a point on this one.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
I tried this climb last Fall- the first few km are just the approach from the start in downtown Belluno, crossing the Piave, etc. The actual climb is very nice- fairly regular gradient and lots of big shade trees to keep the sun off (plus the slope is on the northwest side of the mountain). My only disappointment is they are stopping at Nevegal (1047m) instead of continuing on up to Monte Faverghera (1401m). It's a good road with tornanti, and there's a flat area at the top for rider recovery, etc. There are even ski lifts (like Zoncolan) if spectators don't wish to walk up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
judging by what we've seen recently plus a rest day and a relatively very short stage i fully expect to see AC go full tilt boogie on this one.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i should have clarified: i expect conti to win, for all the reasons people stated above. he is pizzed about the doping charges, peoples view of him, and the looming decision about france in july. we have seen he can churn and burn, and do it solo.

but i wanna see garzelli win. it would be great to see him find one more day...

oh, and i wish i could recall the guy who asked about the mountains points and shouldnt the jersey go to the one who can climb the fastest. this would be his stage to watch.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
i should have clarified: i expect conti to win, for all the reasons people stated above. he is pizzed about the doping charges, peoples view of him, and the looming decision about france in july. we have seen he can churn and burn, and do it solo.

but i wanna see garzelli win. it would be great to see him find one more day...

oh, and i wish i could recall the guy who asked about the mountains points and shouldnt the jersey go to the one who can climb the fastest. this would be his stage to watch.
Keep in mind that there's a difference in being a good climber and a mountain time trial. Some of the pure climbers lack a 30-60minute power to be good over the shorter distances.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I see AC destroying the field. Maybe Rodriguez does well, too, but he hasn't done much so far. Here's his chance.

·
Registered
458 Posts
WOW, I mean WOW! He should be banned not for doping, but because it would make cycling more interesting. Either that or give everybody a head start and see if he can catch them. I wonder if most of these guys come in with the plan of racing for second?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yeah, he's just killing them. And did you see the pacing? He was slower than several others through more than half the course. He did it all in the last 3-4 km. pretty much like all the summit-finish road stages. I'm betting he'l be up 6:30 after Saturday, and he'll take more time in the final flat time trial, just for punctuation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts