Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basso owned the Zoncolan, didn't he? Relaxed climbing in the saddle burned the matches of all competitors. Evans was able to keep up, for the most part, but looked ragged. Basso could sit most of the climb, but Evans was standing, throwing his bike back and forth.

Stage 16 comes after a much needed rest day, but it is quite the leap into a cold lake. 12.9k sounds more like a prologue, but once you look at the profile you realize they mean business. The climb rarely flats out, and when it does, it's not for long. Some sections reportedly hit over 20%, and the final section is hardpack dirt. You are more likely to see wider tires than aerobars.

The following day has two climbs (it looks like only the first climb is categorized; I could be wrong), with the second terminating the second.

So, who will it be on Stage 16?

Matty Lloyd leads the mountains classification, with Basso four points behind. Following Ivan is Turpin, who took the first three summits Sunday.
So I will pick Turpin, knowing little to nothing about him.

(ps: Welcome all you ToC fans. Get ready, because you have missed some great racing!)

·
This space for sale
789 Posts
This will be a fun one to watch. Given the shortness of the stage there shouldn't be too much time lost between the favorites unless someone really pulls something out of the bag or has a bad day in the saddle.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I'm going with Evans on this ITT. I think he was overgeared on the Zoncolan climb, which bogged him down on the really steep climbs.

This ITT doesn't have the super steep climbing and suits Evans better...Though Basso was super strong on Sunday.

·
This space for sale
789 Posts
chocy said:
now I wonder if they will use "heavy" TT bike or super light road bike. What would be faster?
I've been thinking the same thing. Surely the lightness would outweigh any aero benefits a TT bike would give at lower speeds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I understand there's a rough spot (packed dirt) at the end, so maybe wider tires? I think Cadel won't let himself be out done again... he'll be more cognizant of his gearing... gonna be along day for some... wonder how many guys will get passed on the way up

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I like Evans for the ITT

It's one thing winning on Zoncolan when your team's done an incredible job leading you for 210km before the end and another thing doing an ITT. I like Evans followed by Scarponi and either Cunego or Basso. That being said, if I put money on Cunego for every race I though he would do well in, I'd be broke. Vino or Sastre could also play here for the podium. Vino because it's going to be a power ride considering the distance, notwithstanding the gradient and because Sastre seems to be coming into form as he normally does in the third week.

In the end, it doesn't matter as it's been an incredibly entertaining Giro with even more good stages to come.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have found Sastre's approach thus far very curious. Would not be surprised if he has been holding back on his matches, and wondering if he will dig down today.

Also think this has been a fantastic tour. Hard to believe an earlier thread propped the ToC displacing the Giro in importance.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
I'm going with Evans on this ITT. I think he was overgeared on the Zoncolan climb, which bogged him down on the really steep climbs.

This ITT doesn't have the super steep climbing and suits Evans better...Though Basso was super strong on Sunday.
Evans rode his heart out the other day but I don't think gearing made much difference. I think Basso will out-ride him today again and may even win the stage.

Is there a schedule showing when the top 10 will be starting?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.