Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GARZELLI ROCKS THE HOUSE! In a stage where the only descent was the cruise down the start ramp, Garzelli ground his way up a time trial that only the Giro could create. The only thing that would have made this ITT more memorable would have been a snow storm at the summit.
Cadel was the closest in overcoming Garzelli - by 42 seconds. Arroyo leads the GC, with Basso, Porte, Evans, Sastre, Nibali, and Vino all within 5 minutes. Some magic will have to hapen as we have less than a week of racing. But It is some harsh racing.

Stage 17 isn't a torturous stage - for this Giro. The profile has two humps, the second summit ending the stage. With so much at stake, even this stage could have some fireworks. Stage 18 is generally flat, so those within reach could try to separate on the first climb, kill it on the descent, and rocket up the last climb.
I could see Vino doing that, but he might not have the downhill chops. Of course, you can never count him out.
Nibali, anyone?

· Registered
889 Posts
Nibali, if liquigas has a plan to keep with the 1, 2 punch then its Nibali's turn after the first peak so that the team can sit back and ride some wheels and save them for the later stages. If he has the guns tomorrow, he is gone.

· Registered
220 Posts
Gonna be fun to see how this stage plays out. Seems perfect for Nibali, but you know the others are thinking the same thing, they're going to hold him as close the vest as possible. Vino could pull a macho man and burn down the hill. Cadel will follow everything and try to ride away in the end like he did to win the rainbow stripes...

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Time is getting short. Nibali, Basso and Cadel need to pull back every second they can. I expect fireworks tomorrow. Pick is Basso.

· Registered
482 Posts
Can't see him going alone after the first climb but if he has a small group I pick Scarponi. Didn't he do something like that last year? If Garzelli isn't totally blown out I bet he goes on a break to get only to get caught like he usually does.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
I'm watching this and every time I see Arroyo he's got himself positioned in the wind instead of behind his team. Can't figure it out.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Where were my fireworks. If Basso and Evans can't ride Arroyo off their wheel any better than that, Arroyo is going to wear the pink into the last TT at least. Nice ride by Monier.

· Registered
249 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I didn't watch that one but, was the end of the route hard enough to actually drop Arroyo or others?
Looked like it was steep enough in the final 3km to shed the majority of the riders. There were only about 20 riders or so left in the main group once Liquigas took over.
I think if someone (of GC importance) would have attacked that group, it would have done some damage. Probably wouldn't have been big time gaps, but it would have been something.

· Registered
220 Posts
Yea I was hoping someone would attack from the GC bunch, guess they didn't feel like they had a shot. Caisse d'Epargne and Arroyo sat at the front of the peloton most of the race no one challenged they were all waiting, then nothing happened... oh well... they are running out of time... no fire works today...

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
tbb001 said:
...There were only about 20 riders or so left in the main group once Liquigas took over....
That means it was a pretty high pace... but it could also mean that a lot of guys not in GC contention saw no need to kill themselves at the finish and just rolled in.

I got the impression it wasn't quite tough enough that it was worth attacking, and/or tomorrow is more likely so they're saving their matches.

· This space for sale
789 Posts
On cycling news they said that a lot of the riders were pretty spent after the stage and rode into a headwind for most of the way. I think they are trying to conserve some energy for stages 19 and 20.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.