Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Griepel won Stage 18 yadda yadda yadda.

After two days of typical Giro racing, let the climbing continue! We have 3 categorized climbs in addition to a summit finish. 4640 meters of climbing, baby! Pretty much a slow steady climb up the mountain for the first 112km, then we get two tough climbs back to back. Follow that with another short climb to finish the stage and you may just get those fireworks you were looking for.

Evans and Vino need something special here. But with a full team, how can you pick against Basso? Granted, other climbers might leap out and snatch the stage. And with Stage 20 hosting 5, count them 5, categorized climbs and a top finish, some think the main GC contenders won't go all out on 19, but 20. However, I gotta go with Basso just killing it here. And he will make up enough to put him in pink. That leaves him in a spot of bother having to defend on Saturday, but I can't imagine you would leave that much to chance that late. Better to grab the brass ring and try to hang on than never grab it at all.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
will probably be similar to stage 17, but with a smaller front group, more like 15-20 instead of 40-50, but so much depends on how hard they ride and who want to put the hurt on earlier.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What a stage... it is set. This is gonna be one fun race to watch. The Liquigas train is gonna be pumping... Basso and Nibali will try to drop Arroyo, Cadel will be hanging... may even drop Vino...

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Basso. If Evans and Basso can't get some time and bonus seconds in the next two days, this race is over.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Should be a great stage

It's a holiday here in Singapore, Vesakha. Early AM ride of 100km followed by a walk to the post office to pick up some pedals and tires I bought on EBay followed by lunch watching the last 2 Giro stages and a nap. It doesn't get any better than that!

They say Greipel was sick the first week. I didn't realize he was on the front so much in Stage 17 and in Stage 18 just turned on the afterburners and making up for not being in the greatest position.

Today should be interesting. Everyone rightfully talks about the strength and numbers of the Liquigas team but Caisse d'Epargne is in pretty good shape as well. I'm guessing that Arroyo will get dropped on the Mortirolo but can whomever makes the move, let's assume it's Liquigas+Evans, get enough of a gap to make it stick to the finish in Aprica?

Will Liquigas attempt tactics used by LA during his Tour domination of riding at the front and using up it's team one by one until only Basso, Evans and whomever else can handle pace are left to sort it out?

Will they send Nibali off the front forcing Evans to chase and defend his time gap on Nibali?

Ahh, the DS' for Liquigas, BMC and Caisse d'Pargne are just running through the possibilities...

weltyed said:
Griepel won Stage 18 yadda yadda yadda.

After two days of typical Giro racing, let the climbing continue! We have 3 categorized climbs in addition to a summit finish. 4640 meters of climbing, baby! Pretty much a slow steady climb up the mountain for the first 112km, then we get two tough climbs back to back. Follow that with another short climb to finish the stage and you may just get those fireworks you were looking for.

Evans and Vino need something special here. But with a full team, how can you pick against Basso? Granted, other climbers might leap out and snatch the stage. And with Stage 20 hosting 5, count them 5, categorized climbs and a top finish, some think the main GC contenders won't go all out on 19, but 20. However, I gotta go with Basso just killing it here. And he will make up enough to put him in pink. That leaves him in a spot of bother having to defend on Saturday, but I can't imagine you would leave that much to chance that late. Better to grab the brass ring and try to hang on than never grab it at all.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.