Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
608 Posts
Simoni is saying that Basso asked him to wait for him on the last descent. He seems fairly upset that Basso then attacked him at the end. I guess Basso is no Voight.

· Registered
231 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Simoni is saying that Basso asked him to wait for him on the last descent. He seems fairly upset that Basso then attacked him at the end. I guess Basso is no Voight.
C'mon. What would a major tour with Simoni be without him whining about someone or something?

"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE[about cocaine in my auntie's candy]!"
"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE[about Lance Armstrong]!"
"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE[about Cunego/Saeco]!"
"WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE[about Basso]!"

· off the back
15,599 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
"attacked"? Basso was just cruising along, and Simoni couldn't hold his wheel. some attack.

G

·
Under ACrookedSky said:
Yep, but Voight is one of a kind. Basso, saying don't take any chances (ie, don't decend fast) and then blowing Simoni off his wheel on the ascent was pretty lame. Simoni with the "extraterrestrial" line was great, I think I'll use it.

· Registered
77 Posts
Simoni can gripe all he wants and he usually does, but that doesn't take a thing away from Basso's win. He was going to beat Simoni anyway. Asking Simoni to be careful on the decent could be taken several different ways. Anyway Basso had made it clear the day before that he was going for the win to celebrate his son's birth.

· Registered
58 Posts
More Quotes From Basso (VeloNews)

This was from the live ticker for stage 21 on VeloNews:

5:27 PM More on Simoni v. Basso
RAI TV is reporting that Basso (apparent misprint, should read Simoni ??) demanded money from Basso to let him win Saturday's stage, a charge Basso denied in a press conference Sunday morning. "I told him at the top of the descent (off the Mortirolo) to not take any risks and nothing more. Everything else is not true. It's not the first time Simoni has blown up at the end of a race." Ouch.

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
bornin53 said:
This was from the live ticker for stage 21 on VeloNews:

5:27 PM More on Simoni v. Basso
RAI TV is reporting that Basso (apparent misprint, should read Simoni ??) [Edit: no, Basso] demanded money from Basso [Edit: Simoni] to let him win Saturday's stage, a charge Basso denied in a press conference Sunday morning. "I told him at the top of the descent (off the Mortirolo) to not take any risks and nothing more. Everything else is not true. It's not the first time Simoni has blown up at the end of a race." Ouch.
Copied from the Simoni thread:

I've seen this exchange several times now (and am fluent): the exchange went like this:
1. On the descent of the Mortirolo, Basso asked Simoni not to leave him alone on the descent. Basso admits this. Simoni agreed and was definitely pacing Basso, turning his head at every corner. The RAI motorcyclists affirm this.
2. It was assumed by everyone (even at the time; therfore I assume Simoni as well) that this would be a typical racing "exchange": Simoni gets the win (or at least the chance at the sprint) for pacing Basso down the descent. If Gutierrez cracks on the Aprica, Simoni might even get second on GC.
3. 3km from the summit of the Aprica, Basso attacked unexpectedly and then resumed his pace. Simoni could not keep up. Basso takes the stage with the baby picture.

My feeling is this:
a) Basso was wrong to agree to an implicit collaboration, if he absolutely wanted the stage win. In that case, he should have let Simoni go and then caught him on the climb. Still, Simoni could not keep up with Basso, so I don't "blame" Basso for the victory. But if he asked for collaboration and then went against it, that's wrong, because Simoni would have raced differently, on the descent and towards the Aprica.

b) Simoni was wrong to take his anger to the TVs. I understand his frustration, and he is very temperamental, so I can see how he would think Basso "screwed" him. Nonetheless it was wrong to vent on TV and create this polemic. He should have more class than that. In his outbursts, however, he is often correct more than not.

Regarding the "money", I don't know: Simoni insists Basso asked for it, Basso denies it, Simoni called him a liar, and walked away. Leter he said he has lost a lot of respect for Basso.

Remember, last year Simoni lost the Giro because Savoldelli found collaboration on the last stage. Perhaps he was expecting similar help from Basso this time around.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Well said.

Wether people will accept this opinion, is another matter. Afterall, Basso is the younger, taller, better looking and newly crowned Giro winner with a new born child. On the other hand, Simoni is known to be a big mouth and sore loser (maybe unfairly so because of his early affair with Lance, and many people are Lance fans).

However, no matter how you look at the matter, Simoni is clearly one of the top descenders in the peloton. To ask Simoni to take it easy on the descents is clearly an implied request for collaboration. What else can it mean? "Gibo, wait for me on the descents so I can blow by you on the climbs"??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.