Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that finishing climb looked like absolute hell!

anyway, nibali looked great, and i am loving evanss's recovery from a tough 2012. wiggins's bike change essentially cost him the stage victory, it seems, but still not out of it. hesjedal was the big loser, methinks.

also, can someone shed light on this quote by dowsett (the part in bold, that is...)?

"It was quite a harder TT than I expected; without a doubt, the hardest in my life. I took some extreme gears, a 55-29.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Scarponi finishes 43 seconds behind Wiggins on a 52-km ITT and ahead of Ryder Hesjedal. :shocked: Scarponi has really improved his aero position on the TT bike this year.

·
Registered
740 Posts
also, can someone shed light on this quote by dowsett (the part in bold, that is...)?

"It was quite a harder TT than I expected; without a doubt, the hardest in my life. I took some extreme gears, a 55-29.

I take it to mean that both his highest (55) and his lowest gear (29) were on the "extreme" ends for a TT. It means he was riding a 55\39 on the front and maybe an 11-29 or 12-29 on the rear.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Oh no, Ryder, what happened to your cycling legs today????????? :cryin:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Oh no, Ryder, what happened to your cycling legs today????????? :cryin:
I think Hesjedal is an honest Ryder. Remember, this is a guy who is on top form right now (look at his effort in L-B-L final 20 kms).

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
I had a feeling before the stage that Wiggins might be a little more sore from his fall than they (Sky) were letting on. He rode a good time trial and I was impressed with how much time he took back in the last part. It just wasn't his day today.

Nibali was serious when he said he spent a lot of time working on his ITT through the winter. That improvement might give him that little bit extra to turn him into a real Grand Tour powerhouse. I'm a fan of Nibali; as an American I really appreciated it last year when he was racing in the United States (I think in Colorado) and attacked a lot and animated the stages. When asked why he was being so aggressive, he commented that he felt that the other European guys in the race were being disrespectful by riding it like a grandfondo and that a lot of fans were coming out and deserved the respect of seeing some racing. Classy guy.

That was a hell of a ride by Scarponi; I did not expect him to make such a jump in the GC during a long time trial. He really came to this race with the intention of winning it and has been racing well. He would be on the virtual podium right now were it not for the time he lost on the stage three crash.

Evans is looking really good. It will be interesting to see how his form holds up as the Giro goes into the high mountains. The fact that he was the fastest guy in the race up the steep pitch in the end might be telling. The uphill time trial at the end of the race might favor him. If he is climbing well and can hang on to the other big contenders in the mountains, he probably has the best sprint out of all of them, which looks good for him and time bonuses. The question for me is what happens if Evans does something crazy like win the Giro this year? Does that confirm him as the protected leader going into the TDF or does conventional wisdom about the difficulty of doing the Giro/Tour double stage him as a superdomestique for TVG?

I love the Giro.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I had a feeling before the stage that Wiggins might be a little more sore from his fall than they (Sky) were letting on. He rode a good time trial and I was impressed with how much time he took back in the last part. It just wasn't his day today.

Nibali was serious when he said he spent a lot of time working on his ITT through the winter. That improvement might give him that little bit extra to turn him into a real Grand Tour powerhouse. I'm a fan of Nibali; as an American I really appreciated it last year when he was racing in the United States (I think in Colorado) and attacked a lot and animated the stages. When asked why he was being so aggressive, he commented that he felt that the other European guys in the race were being disrespectful by riding it like a grandfondo and that a lot of fans were coming out and deserved the respect of seeing some racing. Classy guy.

That was a hell of a ride by Scarponi; I did not expect him to make such a jump in the GC during a long time trial. He really came to this race with the intention of winning it and has been racing well. He would be on the virtual podium right now were it not for the time he lost on the stage three crash.

Evans is looking really good. It will be interesting to see how his form holds up as the Giro goes into the high mountains. The fact that he was the fastest guy in the race up the steep pitch in the end might be telling. The uphill time trial at the end of the race might favor him. If he is climbing well and can hang on to the other big contenders in the mountains, he probably has the best sprint out of all of them, which looks good for him and time bonuses. The question for me is what happens if Evans does something crazy like win the Giro this year? Does that confirm him as the protected leader going into the TDF or does conventional wisdom about the difficulty of doing the Giro/Tour double stage him as a superdomestique for TVG?

I love the Giro.
Great analysis, I couldn't agree with you more. Like 100% of what you said is spot on in my opinion. The racing has been great thus far and I am hoping that the Evans vs. Nibali battle animates things even more from this point forward.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Finally got caught up with the Giro today. All the GC players are at the front after the long TT. Blanco may be as strong as Sky, and who is the Astana (Estonian) Kangert ? What a great support for Nibali ! Cadel has always been able to hold his own without much team support, hope he stays healthy. A Ryder repeat would be sensational with this field. Scarponi and the Columbians are there to keep it hot and interesting if Wiggo can't attack or descend.

The 10 day forecast for N Italy shows many good chances of rain.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Love the Giro, and the Italian podium girls are better looking than the TdF and Vuelta.

Why is that everything that comes out of Italy is good looking? bikes, cars, arts, girls.

Meh on the podium girls.
You better have a good looking car when the cost for entry is $150k min.

Affordable Italian cars such as the fiat's are also meh.

Back on topic. Is it me, or is Wiggins the most protected rider? To me his skills are good, but they aren't great.

Froom should have won Last years tour. And two of his giro teammates are being held back in this year's giro.

Honestly if it wasn't for team orders and cancellara hurting himself in last years Olympics, I think he would have had zero accomplishments.

Yet he thinks he can do the double and win any tour he enters.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
That Italian champion's Bianchi is beautiful!

Ryder off the back around 11km to go, along with Wiggo? The cold and rain is affecting these guys. It's really bad weather.

Maybe Sky is going with Uran/Henao and Wiggins was just a decoy all along. He's got to be thinking about that second Tour. Uran/Henao were up front with Nibali and never got sent back to help Wiggo catch on.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Stage Nine - Results

Maxim Belkov (Katusha) wins the stage with Batenkur (AG2R) and Pantono Columbia) in 2nd and 3rd.

Nibali (Astana) goes into the rest day with the Maglia Rosa securely on his shoulders.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not a good day for Hesjedal. Wiggins got back into the Nibali, Evans group after being nearly a minute down after one of the descents fairly close to the end.

Although I would like to be there in person to see the race, I'm glad I'm not on vacation in that weather.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
This is why the Giro (and Vuelta) is more exciting then the Tour.

Lots of steeps, and lots of fast technical descents. Love it. I like fast techy descents. Hey if cycling is just all about sitting on a saddle requiring zero descent skill, and the outcome is largely determined by who can generate the maximum wattage... well then.. let's just have all these guys race in the gym on those spinners and do a virtual race. Bring on the descent!! Wussies can stay home.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The coverage I've been watching (eurosport) seem's to not focus on Evan's that much at all, yet he's right in there. Nibali surely must attack in the mountains to try to pull away from Evan's before the final TT ... this is shaping up to be a great Giro. If Wiggan's can look to give it everything in the mountains to get some success from the Giro, he may add to the dynamic too ..

Good times.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.