Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
no freaking kidding... but looking at Disco's team today, without hammer TT guys like Lance and Hincapie, is this THAT suprising? Lance and Hincapie meant a lot to these guys.... will be interesting to see if they can pull this back... second time check... 30 seconds back.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funknuggets said:
no freaking kidding... but looking at Disco's team today, without hammer TT guys like Lance and Hincapie, is this THAT suprising? Lance and Hincapie meant a lot to these guys.... will be interesting to see if they can pull this back... second time check... 30 seconds back.
T-mobile looks to offer the best resistance but not really that close.

Holy crap, they killed it from the final time split and would have probably bested CSC but they dropped Kesler in the final few hundred meters. Even Jan (looking quite plumb) was able to hang on.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
ow, THAT has to suck....

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
T-mobile looks to offer the best resistance but not really that close.

Holy crap, they killed it from the final time split and would have probably bested CSC but they dropped Kesler in the final few hundred meters. Even Jan (looking quite plumb) was able to hang on.
Terrific effort by T-Mobile. Looking forward to Ullrich's performance in the ITT, but this has to provide a partial rebuttal to his many recent critics.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
harlond said:
Terrific effort by T-Mobile. Looking forward to Ullrich's performance in the ITT, but this has to provide a partial rebuttal to his many recent critics.
His power even at this point must be good, but he's got a lot of weight to lose. I'm not one to bash him about his weight and think it is often over blown but he really looked fat compared to the others.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
His power even at this point must be good, but he's got a lot of weight to lose. I'm not one to bash him about his weight and think it is often over blown but he really looked fat compared to the others.
i REALLY would love to know how do you know jan ullrich is overweight, could you tell me please? but please dont tell me you are saying this only by looking at him...:mad2:

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
What a great TTT today. CSC and T-Mobile are in a league of their own. Ullrich's such a great rider - not bad for a guy just there to ride himself into shape. And CSC - real camaraderie there. Great to see Bobby Julich on the podium with the rest of the team.

Disco did pretty well but they have a lot of work to do to be able to ride with the likes of CSC and T-Mobile. More than half the team had Lance/TdF experience - Ekimov, Salvodelli, Joachim, Rubiera, Beltran, Padrnost but for some reason they just couldn't keep up.

Looking forward to the mountain stages.

G

·
Wow, disco took a beating today :( 4 CSC and 3 T-Mobile guys are now in the top 10 :eek: And Basso now leads Savoldelli!! Well, only at stage 5 and things are already getting interesting!

Nice to see that Jan's motor is still pumping on all 8 cyclinders (for all the flak he's gotten) - if he finishes the whole Giro, he should be in very good shape.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
T-mob rode great today, that's for sure. I was definitely surprised to see CSC + T-m STOMP everyone, INCLUDING disco.

On Jan's weight: If Ulle had the power he had to timetrial like that, but wasn't overweight, he wouldn't have been dropped off the pace so quickly in the mountains of Romandie.

Lance says he needs to lose like 10-12 pounds before the tour. I don't think he's full of crap. That kind of weight loss is easily doable, especially in the mountains of the giro, and it's less than he's lost in may-june before.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Yes... is very good today.

fc
--------
Results

1 Team CSC 36.56 (56.859 km/h)
2 T-Mobile 0.01
3 Discovery Channel 0.39
4 Liquigas 0.42
5 Francaise des Jeux 1.00
6 Gerolsteiner 1.03
7 Quick.Step-Innergetic
8 Lampre-Fondital 1.04
9 Phonak
10 Credit Agricole 1.07
11 Davitamon-Lotto 1.08
12 Milram 1.13
13 Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 1.14
14 Rabobank 1.17
15 AG2R-Prevoyance 1.22
16 Bouygues Telecom 1.23
17 Liberty Seguros-Wurth 1.25
18 Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.26
19 Cofidis 1.34
20 Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 1.37
21 Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.41
22 Euskaltel-Euskadi 1.56

General classification after stage 5

1 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team 15.30.23
2 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 0.06
3 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile Team
4 Olaf Pollack (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.10
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.11
6 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro 0.20
7 Nicki Sorensen (Den) Team CSC 0.29
8 Stefan Schumacher (Ger) Gerolsteiner 0.31
9 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 0.33
10 José Luis Rubiera Vigil (Spa) Discovery Channel 0.38
11 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.44
12 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 0.49
13 Davide Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.54</pre>

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
francois said:
Results

1 Team CSC 36.56 (56.859 km/h)
2 T-Mobile 0.01
3 Discovery Channel 0.39
4 Liquigas 0.42
5 Francaise des Jeux 1.00
6 Gerolsteiner 1.03
7 Quick.Step-Innergetic
8 Lampre-Fondital 1.04
9 Phonak
10 Credit Agricole 1.07
11 Davitamon-Lotto 1.08
12 Milram 1.13
13 Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 1.14
14 Rabobank 1.17
15 AG2R-Prevoyance 1.22
16 Bouygues Telecom 1.23
17 Liberty Seguros-Wurth 1.25
18 Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.26
19 Cofidis 1.34
20 Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 1.37
21 Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.41
22 Euskaltel-Euskadi 1.56
Interesting how the finishing times were less than two minutes apart for the stage. A lot of people - myself included - expected much larger time gaps. Good race today...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Flat profile helped with time gaps

I think that because of the flat course the teams were all able to keep the speed up and stick together for the most part.

If the course had been more technically or included a big climb I thin we would have seen much bigger time gaps.

But I'm glad we didn't. This keeps the race much more interesting and doesn't totally blow out contenders like Simoni and Cunego who don't have the horsepower of teams like CSC, T-Mob Liquigas and Disco.

They still lost time but they are better suited to the really steep hills that will show up in a couple of weeks. This is going to be a great race. Simoni will fight until the end so you know were in for some good stages.

I'm glad there weren't any mechanicals today either. A fair battle is always much more enjoyable.

PS - Good on Jan today. You know he's got Basso just a wee bit worried about July. Not that Basso can think about July right now but with such a solid performance today Jan let his legs do the talk'n and if he can stay healthy and get his knee back in shape then we're going to have a very interesting Tour as well.

Man, I love the Giro!

Ciao,

Francesco

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Team time trials are more typically around 60km so smaller time gaps should be expected on a 35km course.

I think TMob's performance was at least as much due to Rogers and Gontchar as Ullrich. Racing against 3 former world TT champions on TMob made CSC's performance even more impressive. The climbers are right on schedule to start the last week several minutes behind Basso, Rujano is there already.

Savoldelli said Jan was 6-7kg overweight at Romandie. It's true that he has lost similar amounts in other years, but also not likely the results will be any different this time around. He should be good enough to gun for 9 in a row.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
carlos said:
not only ullrich but all t-mobile team shut up a lot of mouths today, lets see what the "disco fan boys" have to say about it..:rolleyes:
Umm... good day for t-mobile boys for sure, but how does any of it "shut up a lot of mouths"? Savoldelli's chances for Giro win or podium are still better today than Jan's, Gonchar's or Rodgers'.

Bottom line - Ullrich is well behind the schedule, the team doesn't have a clear leader for Giro, loses TTT by a second despite being a super-TTT team composed of three world champions.

Good for Gonchar taking maglia rosa, but I am not sure I would be celebrating a lot today if I were T-mobile DS. There will be no TTT in TdF, and Jan has a lot of ground to make up to stay competitive with the climbers.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
55x11 said:
Umm... good day for t-mobile boys for sure, but how does any of it "shut up a lot of mouths"? Savoldelli's chances for Giro win or podium are still better today than Jan's, Gonchar's or Rodgers'.

Bottom line - Ullrich is well behind the schedule, the team doesn't have a clear leader for Giro, loses TTT by a second despite being a super-TTT team composed of three world champions.
Everything I've read says Gonchar is their leader for the Giro.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
carlos said:
but please dont tell me you are saying this only by looking at him...:mad2:
You mean changes in people's weight don't have consequences that others can see by simply looking at them? If you think Ulrich looks anything like what he has looked like when on peak form in the past you have amnesia.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.