Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giro helmet that I bought about 5+ years ago and the pads are falling apart. I went online to find replacements and had no luck but did find this forum with lots of people saying that they had great luck and amazing customer service by calling Giro's 800 customer service number. After waiting on hold for 30 minutes with an annoying lady telling me every 30 seconds how important my call was, a rep finnally took my call. She checked her computer and said they no longer had pads for my helmet. I asked her if there was pads from another helmet that would work, and she said she didn't know what would work. Well, she should know better than myself! I told her I would take ANY pads that were for the forehead and she didn't know which would work so she couldn't send me any. She gave me a website that had replacement pad kits and said I could look to see if any of those pads fit my helmet. Well, this website has no pictures of such pads and the phone numbers for the website have mailboxes that are full so I couldn't even leave a mesage. WTF! I wonder if Giro knows that they are sending customers to an equally crappy business. I guess they just want me to buy another helmet, but I can tell you that I will never buy a Giro again!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Giro=Bell=famous for poor customer service.

OTOH you can't really expect a company to maintain a full set of replacement pads for a 5yo safety product they they suggest should be replaced every couple of years.....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Buy another helmet

melika25 said:
I have a Giro helmet that I bought about 5+ years ago and the pads are falling apart. I went online to find replacements and had no luck but did find this forum with lots of people saying that they had great luck and amazing customer service by calling Giro's 800 customer service number. After waiting on hold for 30 minutes with an annoying lady telling me every 30 seconds how important my call was, a rep finnally took my call. She checked her computer and said they no longer had pads for my helmet. I asked her if there was pads from another helmet that would work, and she said she didn't know what would work. Well, she should know better than myself! I told her I would take ANY pads that were for the forehead and she didn't know which would work so she couldn't send me any. She gave me a website that had replacement pad kits and said I could look to see if any of those pads fit my helmet. Well, this website has no pictures of such pads and the phone numbers for the website have mailboxes that are full so I couldn't even leave a mesage. WTF! I wonder if Giro knows that they are sending customers to an equally crappy business. I guess they just want me to buy another helmet, but I can tell you that I will never buy a Giro again!
they don't last forever and yours is due for replacement. And if you want to scratch Giro from your list of helmets, scratch Bell too. Same company.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,565 Posts
"After waiting on hold for 30 minutes with an annoying lady telling me every 30 seconds how important my call was"

Ummmmm............That was a recorded message.

Is this some sort of joke???????????

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
FatTireFred said:
at 5+ yrs you need a new helmet anyway
NEED? He doesn't need a new helmet... this has been discussed a hundred times on here, but I have never seen any scientific evidence that Styrofoam that won't decompose in a billion years, somehow looses structural integrity in 5 yrs.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've had nothing but positive experience with Giro... I broke my RocLoc last year and they send my a new one free of charge
Ditto.

Of course my expectation level of service from larger companies is very low so anything they do is appreciated.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've had nothing but positive experience with Giro... I broke my RocLoc last year and they send my a new one free of charge
Same experience for me, broken rocloc, new one in a few days. A 5 year old helmet should be replaced anyway...

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Kestreljr said:
NEED? He doesn't need a new helmet... this has been discussed a hundred times on here, but I have never seen any scientific evidence that Styrofoam that won't decompose in a billion years, somehow looses structural integrity in 5 yrs.

blah, blah, blah... he doesn't NEED a helmet, period.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Seconded.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Kestreljr said:
When it comes to my noggin, I am going to listen to Snell rather than the alleged lack of scientific data argument. This is Snell's position. 5 years seems very reasonable to me:

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#10

As to the OP's Giro anger, get the helmet that feels the best on your head and forget about petty issues like 5 year old pading and recorded phone waiting messages.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I have an '07 Monza. Emailed Giro customer service asking where I could locate replacement pads, they responded the next day asking for shipping info (which I sent) and within 3-4 days I got an email saying the pads would arrive within 2 weeks. Done deal.

IMO the OP has gotten pretty good service out of his helmet. Time for a new one. And if he really likes the Giro and doesn't get another because of this little episode, the adage biting his nose to spite his face fits.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The way I sweat, ain't no way I would keep a helmet more than three years,
even though I clean it frequently.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Helmet padding to me is like the padding in gloves, or a modern "chamois" in a pair of bibs. They all do not last forever, nor would I want them to....and I do not expect customer service to find me a new pad after the rest of the unit has seen OVER five years of service. How long do you expect the webbing and straps in a helmet to last?

Replace the helmet, move on.

I have had stellar experiences with Giro/Bell/Easton customer service...but I apparently have a different level of expectations.

Your rant regarding the situation accompanied with no question seeking a source for padding, or information on the model of the product you have, causes me to seriously question your motives. What do you expect in terms of CS on a helmet that is 5+ years old? (how big is that "plus" BTW?)

·
Registered
622 Posts
How about pads for this helmet?

Seriously, I crashed, broke my helmet, and emailed Giro customer service about their replacement policy... 4 weeks later I finally got an email back which basically said, "thanks for being a loyal customer , blah, blah, blah." but no mention of their replacement policy. I just bought a new helmet, and my LBS gave me 20% off.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
VaughnA said:
Same experience for me, broken rocloc, new one in a few days. ...
Another similar experience. My roc-loc broke in the course of traveling with my helmet (i.e., I did not pack it too well). Giro sent me a new one for free. I also have received more free replacements pads from Giro than I can remember. Every time that I have had a customer service issue with Giro I have been very satisfied.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried contacting Giro for a replacement Roc-Loc for a 2-year-old helmet, and I got the same BS. Actually, I got some generic e-mail (a week or two later) from a clueless woman named Amber.

Last year, I crashed my six-month-old Atmos. I asked my LBS about crash replacement, but they didn't know. They tried calling for me, but they were closed. THey tried the Web site too--no dice.

So, I finally sent an e-mail to Amber about it, and, several days later she replied by asking if she could have someone call me and go through a survey, answer some questions, and then they would give me 20% off a new one.

I didn't have time, so I bought a Uvex. LOVE the retention and adjustment system on it. I'm very happy with it.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Yes, it's starting to sound like a broken record in here. Broken RocLoc replaced, no questions asked (okay, they asked for my address). My next helmet will be a Giro and the next one and the next one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.