Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the 4th of July week the family and I were on the North Shore of Lake Superior (you may have seen MN Low to High). I got another picture worthy ride under my butt while on the vacation.

The Gitchi Gami Trail is a state bike trail being constructed along the shore of Lake Superior. It's still pretty piece meal but they have been making incremental progress. I decided to there and back the longest portion between Beaver Bay and Gooseberry Falls, 13 miles. I have to say....the trail was nothing less than spectacular!

Beginning at the current northern terminus in Beaver Bay I rode the trail SW along the shoreline with the Big Lake as my companion gleaming to my left at almost everypoint.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Split Rock Lighthouse 1

A little over halfway south from Beaver Bay is Split Rock Lighthouse. It was time to swap out of the tap shoes, chase the fleet footed lighthouse keeper off to his duties, and explore.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
An empty trail!

Except for the critters of course.

WOW!!

Unheard of around here.

Great water views.

Looks like there was a bit of climbing too.

Very nice.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Incredible lighthouse location. The views of the Lake are fantastic. It looks so inviting but with the temps you guys talk about I think daydreaming about a dip is the best option.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridgetop said:
Incredible lighthouse location. The views of the Lake are fantastic. It looks so inviting but with the temps you guys talk about I think daydreaming about a dip is the best option.
From Wikepedia: This is because of the low temperature of the water, estimated at under 36 °F (2 °C) on average around 1970.
I've heard it's warmed a little with global warming.

Funny Story: We were driving to the North Shore and had brought our lunch and stopped at a Duluth Park to eat. The park is right at the northern end of interstate 35. It's the first easy access point directly to the water if you are coming from the south. It was a weekday and the park was full of Duluth lunch time workers sitting on the shore enjoying the day, eating lunch. In pulls a old pick up truck with a bed camper with TEXAS plates. The back door flies open and out come 3 boys about 8, 9, & 10 sprinting for the water in their swim trunks. You could see all the locals watching the boys run across the parking lot with that look of..."oh, this should be interesting", nobody said anything. The boys flung themselves into the water. The shreks were priceless, they sprint back to the camper and jumped in as fast as they left.

Scot

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
No beaver pics? No gooseberry pics?

Were you humming Gordon Lightfoot all day long?

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
That looks like a great place to ride. It really looks like no one else discovered the place yet.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Anywhere around The Big Lake is about my favorite place on earth. I'll have to check out this new trail some day.

Water temp has a lot to do with wind direction; when there's an offshore wind the water will be ice cold because it blows the warm surface water over to the other side of the lake, and brings up the cold stuff from underneath. Give it a day or two and you can easily see 10-20 degree temperature changes. That would be from just above freezing to still freakin' cold, but slightly tolerable. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the post, Scot! Looks like you had a lovely blue-sky day up on the lake. As a regular North Shore visitor, I have been just dying for them to get more of the shorter sections of the trail connected. At least this Beaver Bay/Gooseberry Falls segment is a nice little stretch-of-the-legs. And there's always pie for dessert. :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
eltriki said:
Thanks for the post, Scot! Looks like you had a lovely blue-sky day up on the lake. As a regular North Shore visitor, I have been just dying for them to get more of the shorter sections of the trail connected. At least this Beaver Bay/Gooseberry Falls segment is a nice little stretch-of-the-legs. And there's always pie for dessert. :)
It was a nice and cool too. I was in wind jacket the whole ride and comfortable.

Doesn't the picture of Gooseberry make the cascades look small. Without the sound and the smell of the mist in the air, a picture can't capture how big they feel when you are there in person.

I also rode the trail Tofte to Cross River segment there and back, but I'd done that segment a half dozen times, this was the first time I'd done the lower segment.

Scot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.