Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My frame gets here wednesday . I only bought it because cbike had a stray in my size and got 15% off the already good price . couldn't pass it up . Looking for some build ideas...

08 Chorus group
Not sure if i'm going 06 record alloy or 08 centaur alloy cranks
campy nuetron ultra
Headset : King or Campy ?
ITM 100% stem
deda newton bar
either colnago 08 carbon post or colnago alloy ?
sella regal saddle black
white tape

· Registered
199 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
My frame gets here wednesday . I only bought it because cbike had a stray in my size and got 15% off the already good price . couldn't pass it up . Looking for some build ideas...

08 Chorus group
campy nuetron ultra
ITM 100% stem
deda newton bar
sella regal saddle black
white tape
What about a Colnago titanium post? That would be super-hot with the chrome rear stays...

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Nice work

PinarelloFan said:

08 Chorus group
campy nuetron ultra
ITM 100% stem
deda newton bar
sella regal saddle black
white tape
That Saronni Master X-Light is a sweet looking frame.

I say Deda Zero stem and Newton shallow-drop round bars in the "dark metal polish" finish. And then scour eBay for a NOS Campy Record or Chorus Ti seatpost. Or get the matching Deda Zero100 seatpost.

Also, www.totalcycling.com has Campy Record groups on sale that are a mix of 2006 alloy cranks and square-taper BB, with 2008 Record everything else. That would work out pretty nice as well.

· Registered
491 Posts
What size did you get? I got a 56 and paid full price. But at least I got the right fork. ;-). Although... the chrome fork itself - with full steerer - feels just about as heavy as the frame!

Came a couple days ago. Can't wait to get it built up. LBS doing it says they're busy until a week from now. Bleh.

Those stickers near the bottom bracket -- mine are in the other order (with the clearish warning sticker above the Columbus sticker.) First thing I did was take off the warning sticker, but they had put on the sticker BEFORE clear coating the frame, so I put it back on for now. :-(. Also guess I have to say I don't really dig the "Master" logo. Other than those 2 things, even with them, I am super pumped!! I was suprized how good the frame looks in person. Pulled it out of the box like Whoa! That is a rich red.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Sweet...I love my master. So they are just calling it Master now instead of Master X Light?

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL , the right fork !!!!!!!! This is not a replica bike no matter what you want to tell yourself . You can't use downtube shifters and the fork ain't curved . So the right fork makes me pee my pants laughing .....how are you building it 83 recorld, toe clip peddles and quil stem...lol

Either way enjoy it .. I know I will ..

· Registered
491 Posts
PinarelloFan said:

08 Chorus group
campy nuetron ultra
ITM 100% stem
deda newton bar
sella regal saddle black
white tape

Here's what I'm going with:

-Grouppo- Centaur with Chorus shifters. (to save some money)
-Cranks- Alloy
-Wheels- Getting a set of wheels made by Mike Garcia. For now CPX-33s off my other bike
-Headset- Chris King Silver. I tried getting a Chorus headset from Lickbike but they are all out
-Stem- probably will go with a Silver Thompson X2
-Bars- Deda Newton. Got the dark metal polish. Cleaned that off with Lye and polished it up. Now it's bright and shiney as hell, just the way I want it!
-Seatpost- Thompson Elite Silver.
-Saddle- Sella Regal saddle, white
-Bar Tape- White. And I will try white HUDZ (brake hoods). I don't think they feel as nice as campy, but I do wear gloves all the time so I'll give them a try since they look so good.

I'm going for all silver and shiney parts for a classic/retro look. The only thing that's black will be the shifters. (and part of the rear der, and cable housings don't count, though I wish I had grey ones instead of black)

· Registered
491 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
LOL , the right fork !!!!!!!! This is not a replica bike no matter what you want to tell yourself . You can't use downtube shifters and the fork ain't curved . So the right fork makes me pee my pants laughing .....how are you building it 83 recorld, toe clip peddles and quil stem...lol

Either way enjoy it .. I know I will ..
Was just a joke (which I think you got). And yeah, I wish it was curved. By "right", I meant that the appearance of the chrome fork is more in-line with the rest of the bike. But, yours will probably weigh a pound lighter than mine.

I'm sure we'll both have a blast riding them!

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What really swayed me from the fork was the price . You can buy a NOS chrome fork for a fraction of the price they want now .. You can get a NOS master frame and fork for about what they charged for the fork alone.. no thanks . 600-700 for a steel fork ??

Are the stickers on the down and seat tube under clearcoat ? mine are not .. i hope they don't peal off in a year or two . That was my only negative w/ the frame....I thought it was all paint w/ stencile , not stickers

· Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, it was another $200 compared to the Carbon. And chrome colnago forks are an easy pick on ebay. But anyways, for me, as vain as a I am, it's well worth the price.

· Registered
279 Posts
Mine came yesterday, ordered it a year or so ago. Was told it would be carbon fork, came with steel-fine by me, though I saw a build with the carbon that made the bike look really mean (as in aggro, not average). I'm putting as much silver as I can muster on mine. Can't decide between an old straight blade threaded or an older (used) curve blade fork. Just finished the frame saver, will start the build in two days. Chorus for me, only black will be derailleurs, possibly compact cranks, and maybe saddle. I agree, it's one of the most beautiful frames I've seen. Probably chorus hubs, silver velocity rims. But black or silver won't look bad, IMO. I like it.
Minstrie

· Registered
491 Posts
Sounds like the whole boatload came over about a week ago. It is strange - about a third of the people who order a MXL with a certain fork end up getting the wrong one - and it goes both ways.

· Banned
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Infini said:
Yeah, it was another $200 compared to the Carbon. And chrome colnago forks are an easy pick on ebay. But anyways, for me, as vain as a I am, it's well worth the price.
You consider yourself vain , yet would be seen in public on this circus bike ??

Here is the def: excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance & qualities

That beuty don't qualify .. lol ... sorry couldn't help myself ..

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
What really swayed me from the fork was the price . You can buy a NOS chrome fork for a fraction of the price they want now .. You can get a NOS master frame and fork for about what they charged for the fork alone.. no thanks . 600-700 for a steel fork ??

Are the stickers on the down and seat tube under clearcoat ? mine are not .. i hope they don't peal off in a year or two . That was my only negative w/ the frame....I thought it was all paint w/ stencile , not stickers
no way...they are charging $700 for a steel fork? amazing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.