Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been plying wifey for another set of wheels, some nice, aero, CF wheels. While my arguments were always solid, by my reasoning, she rebuffed me at every turn of logic.....until last night. Last night I found the secret. We went shopping for a computer chair for moi, and she ended up with a new leather furniture set for the living room. When I pointed out that the couch cost about the same as the wheels I wanted, she was stopped dead in her tracks. She took the bait, but I still had to be careful and had to actually set the hook. So while the sales lady was doing up the paperwork, I pulled on the line: "You know this furniture set cost a lot more than the wheels I like," to which my wife responded, "How much are those wheels?" HA!!! The hook was set, so I reeled her in. Heh.

As a result of my crafty maneuvering, a set of Reynolds Stratus DV wheels is headed my way.

The lesson here is that if you really want something new for your bike, allow your wife to buy something so you can guilt her into letting you get what you want.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peterpen said:
Why'd you go for the Reynolds? (vs Zipp, custom, Corima, etc) Inquiring minds and all that...

btw, if your wife is giving you a hard time about spending money on your bike, just remind her that you could be spending it on your girlfriend.
1. The Stratus DV rims are strong, perhaps more durable than the Zipps.

2. Corima is a little more difficult to get, and the word on Corima hubs isn't that great.

3. Who said I'm not going custom? For now, it seems Ligero is pretty busy, so I'll ride the wheels as they come from Reynolds. Later in the year, I'd like to have Ligero replace the Reynolds hubs w/ White H1 hubs, and the CX-Ray and Race spokes w/ Pillar Ti spokes.

As for the wife, she doesn't nag that much about money spent on the bike, although her eyes did flare bright red when I mentioned Lightweight wheels and their cost.

Girlfriend? Try girlfriends: I plan on dating a sorority this fall.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
peterpen said:
Why'd you go for the Reynolds? (vs Zipp, custom, Corima, etc) Inquiring minds and all that...

btw, if your wife is giving you a hard time about spending money on your bike, just remind her that you could be spending it on your girlfriend.
1. The Stratus DV rims are strong, perhaps more durable than the Zipps.

2. Corima is a little more difficult to get, and the word on Corima hubs isn't that great.

3. Who said I'm not going custom? For now, it seems Ligero is pretty busy, so I'll ride the wheels as they come from Reynolds. Later in the year, I'd like to have Ligero replace the Reynolds hubs w/ White H1 hubs, and the CX-Ray and Race spokes w/ Pillar Ti spokes.

As for the wife, she doesn't nag that much about money spent on the bike, although her eyes did flare bright red when I mentioned Lightweight wheels and their cost.

Girlfriend? Try girlfriends: I plan on dating a sorority this fall.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Boras?

Alienator- If you could get 2006 Campy Ultra Boras for about the same as the Reynolds Stratus DVs ($1822 vs about $1650 if I recall corectly?), and the weight is about the same (1305 vs about 1250?), would you still choose the Reynolds?

I'm pretty close ot pulling the trigger on a set of CF tubbies, and I'm basically down to these two wheels. (I'm doing the numbers by memory, so let me know if I'm off. The Campy price is from 11speed.com.).

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hillen said:
Alienator- If you could get 2006 Campy Ultra Boras for about the same as the Reynolds Stratus DVs ($1822 vs about $1650 if I recall corectly?), and the weight is about the same (1305 vs about 1250?), would you still choose the Reynolds?

I'm pretty close ot pulling the trigger on a set of CF tubbies, and I'm basically down to these two wheels. (I'm doing the numbers by memory, so let me know if I'm off. The Campy price is from 11speed.com.).
Well, if you shop around you'll see Stratus DV tubies at $1399, and I'm getting them discounted from about there. The weight is about the same. Weight Weenies has an actual weight for Boras of 1325g and 1244g for the Stratus DVs (Note that the Stratus DVs come in a 16/20 and a 20/24 config, and I imagine the 1244g is for the 16/20.). According to Tour Magazine, Stratus DVs are roughly as stiff, laterally, as the Boras (46NM f/43NM r vs. 54NM f/44NM r). The Boras are a bit more aero, but what I don't like about the Boras is the G3 lacing. And frankly, I'm not a huge fan of radial lacing, either, BUT I'm gonna have the Stratus DVs relaced w/ Pilar Spokes and White Industries H1 hubs, with the rear being 2x, at least, all the way around. If I can 2x lace the 16 front, then I will. The guy who ordered the things for me is out of town this weekend, so he weren't able to tell me whether Reynolds suggested 16/20 or 20/24 wheels. I guess I'll find out Tuesday when I pick 'em up. If they're 20/24 then they'll definitely end up getting laced 2x later.

Outside of the lacing pattern predilictions that I have, I like the robustness of the Stratus rims.

Is one really better thant the other? I dunno. The Boras are certainly a fine set of wheels that perform, by all accounts, muy well. I don't think you could go wrong either way. FWIW, by the time I have the Stratus wheels relaced, I'll end up with a wheelset that weighs less than 1100g and should, I think, be laterally stiffer than the Boras. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe Troy or Eric will chime in here with their wheel expertise.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so they came today instead of tomorrow. That's good. They weigh in at 1253g, with 18f/20r. Pretty damned close to the spec'd weight.

Tires are stretching now. Tomorrow the FastTack goes on, followed by the tires. I'll prolly soil myself again tomorrow.

The only downside to the wheels arriving today was that they were sitting next to a set of Lightweight wheels that also arrived today. The bastards at the LBS wouldn't trade me the Lightweights, straight up, for the Reynolds tubies.

·
Registered
838 Posts
alienator said:
Ok, so they came today instead of tomorrow. That's good. They weigh in at 1253g, with 18f/20r. Pretty damned close to the spec'd weight.

Tires are stretching now. Tomorrow the FastTack goes on, followed by the tires. I'll prolly soil myself again tomorrow.

The only downside to the wheels arriving today was that they were sitting next to a set of Lightweight wheels that also arrived today. The bastards at the LBS wouldn't trade me the Lightweights, straight up, for the Reynolds tubies.
18h front and you don't want radial, the only thing I can think of is a crows foot pattern.

·
Juanmoretime
2,313 Posts
alienator said:
I've been plying wifey for another set of wheels, some nice, aero, CF wheels. While my arguments were always solid, by my reasoning, she rebuffed me at every turn of logic.....until last night. Last night I found the secret. We went shopping for a computer chair for moi, and she ended up with a new leather furniture set for the living room. When I pointed out that the couch cost about the same as the wheels I wanted, she was stopped dead in her tracks. She took the bait, but I still had to be careful and had to actually set the hook. So while the sales lady was doing up the paperwork, I pulled on the line: "You know this furniture set cost a lot more than the wheels I like," to which my wife responded, "How much are those wheels?" HA!!! The hook was set, so I reeled her in. Heh.

As a result of my crafty maneuvering, a set of Reynolds Stratus DV wheels is headed my way.

The lesson here is that if you really want something new for your bike, allow your wife to buy something so you can guilt her into letting you get what you want.
I need to trade my wife in. When I try this with my wife she thinks she needs to be on top or just that were even! I just get the warm fuzzy feeling about getting her something.

Is there any spare strips of leather?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Juanmoretime said:
I need to trade my wife in. When I try this with my wife she thinks she needs to be on top or just that were even! I just get the warm fuzzy feeling about getting her something.

Is there any spare strips of leather?
No, I used all the extra leather to sew myself a nice leather gilet for riding when it's cooler outside.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I'd sure like a pic of yur Moots with those Reynolds an all, need something new in my screen saver......
Well, it'll be up soon, PSV. I just came from the LBS where I underwent a short tutorial on gluin' up tubies and picked up my wheels. I must say, I did a bangup job of gluin'. Beaucoup props to the LBS for lettin' me glue up there, throwin' the tires, a spare, and wheel bags in at no charge. And it's easier gettin' the tubies on the rims than it was to get Mich. Carbons on Bontrager clincher rims. Props also for them letting me handle the Lightweight Ventoux wheels (Eric Zabel autographed flavor) that had come in today. FWIW, the Ventoux are sick light: less than 1000g for the set. I soiled myself twice lookin' at 'em. No refractory period in between.

It's good to hear your imagined voice in my head, PSV, as I read your words. I was worried you didn't love me anymore. FWIW, your imagined voice sounds exactly like Isabella Rosellini's.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
How can you

Not love a guy with a Moots, Draculas for cranks, Custom Ligero wheels and Reynolds tubies to boot? Yur Doin that Moots proud. When is the solo ride around the Rockies? Nice work convinceing wifey. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Not love a guy with a Moots, Draculas for cranks, Custom Ligero wheels and Reynolds tubies to boot? Yur Doin that Moots proud. When is the solo ride around the Rockies? Nice work convinceing wifey. :thumbsup:
Well, the Draculas aren't here, yet. The LBS guy says it should be first or second week of July. The bastard also said for tomorrow's group ride, he's gonna put his[\i] new Claviculas on his bike, just to rub it in. Of course, his everyday wheels are Lightweight Standards.

I'm actually drivin' to CO this Friday to pick up the youngin' from the inlaws, but this won't be the self-made tour trip. While I'm up there, I do intend to ride (from Edwards....near Vail) to Steamboat Springs to the Moots Birth Canal, and iffin I can work it out I also wanna spend one day pedaling over RMNP and down to Boulder, and then another day doing the Durango-Silverton-Durango ride. We'll see. From the dad inlaw's house, there's all sorts of stuff and big climbs nearby. I suspect I'll do my little tour about 2 weeks before school starts again.

·
Registered
838 Posts
alienator said:
Is there a down side to that pattern? Upside? Neutral?
It is mostly about looks. Some will say it is the best of both worlds because it has crossed and radial spokes. A 18h crows foot would be 3 groups of 3 instead of 4 groups of 3 like 24h crows foot in the pictures.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I'd sure like a pic of yur Moots with those Reynolds an all, need something new in my screen saver......
How about some crappy pics, taken quick and dirty-like? Well, that's what yer gonna get.

I put 58 miles on the wheels, today, and had the well-rounded, full experience. I don't know that I can say, yet, whether I noticed a real difference today. It was my first ride with a local group, so I can't say whether the wheels made it easier to hold my speed or not. Likewise, I don't know that I can make any judgements about the tires--Vittoria Corsa Evo CX. All I can say is they felt fine. The Reynolds hubs are nicer than I expected and pretty quiet. On the flip side, I think I lost part of my hearing, today, whilst being abused by the infernal sound coming from some other guy's Chris King rear hub.

The brake pads are yellow Swissstops, and they gots a lot of whoa mojo. The combination of the yellow Swissstops w/ the Reynolds rims may stop better than my Ligero wheels (alloy) and green Swissstops (and those are damned good.).

I'll prolly be able to judge the wheels better on rides by meself and with a bunch more miles under the wheels. As it stands, now, the wheels don't seem to have a downside or any handicaps. Note, though, that I haven't run them in the rain, yet.

Dumb arse did forget to put some tape on the valve stem extensions, so me and the 50 or so people on the ride were treated to the knocking caused by the valve stem bouncing off the valve stem whole in the rim every revolution. Nearly everyone was kind enough to ask if that was my bike knocking, and some people were even kind enough to ask 3 or 4 times.

Oh, yeah: the full experience. On the way home, I ran over a monster thorn (the kind I've found violating my clinchers) and flatted the front. It took almost 3 minutes to peel the flatted tire off, put the spare on, and inflate it. Easy like Anna Nicole Smith. I do need to perfect my tubular folding technique, 'cuz I suck at it right now.

So there it is so far. I like 'em....well, it's a like with a thick coat of lust....but I need to ride 'em more before I can say more.

The pics: the first is her naked, and the second is of her in some naughty underwear. Don't forget that I said they're crappy pics.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ligero said:
It is mostly about looks. Some will say it is the best of both worlds because it has crossed and radial spokes. A 18h crows foot would be 3 groups of 3 instead of 4 groups of 3 like 24h crows foot in the pictures.
Well, Troy, I'm a complete dillhole. Someone said 18 spokes, and then I exercised congressional counting skills. There are 16 in front.

Can I do 2x with the H1 front hub and 16 spokes in the Reynolds rim?

Now please excuse me while I go remove my head from my azz.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Jealous I am

alienator said:
How about some crappy pics, taken quick and dirty-like? Well, that's what yer gonna get.
Love it, man yur tall? Have you always had the zero gravities? I've got the cheesy Stainless ones and not the ti, must be my shimano karma.:)

I put 58 miles on the wheels, today, and had the well-rounded, full experience. I don't know that I can say, yet, whether I noticed a real difference today. It was my first ride with a local group, so I can't say whether the wheels made it easier to hold my speed or not. Likewise, I don't know that I can make any judgements about the tires--Vittoria Corsa Evo CX. All I can say is they felt fine. The Reynolds hubs are nicer than I expected and pretty quiet. On the flip side, I think I lost part of my hearing, today, whilst being abused by the infernal sound coming from some other guy's Chris King rear hub.
Ergott is building me a set of cross wheels, can't wait to hear the swarm of bees everytime I freewheel!

The brake pads are yellow Swissstops, and they gots a lot of whoa mojo. The combination of the yellow Swissstops w/ the Reynolds rims may stop better than my Ligero wheels (alloy) and green Swissstops (and those are damned good.).

I'll prolly be able to judge the wheels better on rides by meself and with a bunch more miles under the wheels. As it stands, now, the wheels don't seem to have a downside or any handicaps. Note, though, that I haven't run them in the rain, yet.

Dumb arse did forget to put some tape on the valve stem extensions, so me and the 50 or so people on the ride were treated to the knocking caused by the valve stem bouncing off the valve stem whole in the rim every revolution. Nearly everyone was kind enough to ask if that was my bike knocking, and some people were even kind enough to ask 3 or 4 times.

Oh, yeah: the full experience. On the way home, I ran over a monster thorn (the kind I've found violating my clinchers) and flatted the front. It took almost 3 minutes to peel the flatted tire off, put the spare on, and inflate it. Easy like Anna Nicole Smith. I do need to perfect my tubular folding technique, 'cuz I suck at it right now.
Man 3 minutes to change a tubular, it takes me that long to change a clincher. and I've always shied away from them cuz of the flatage scenerio.

So there it is so far. I like 'em....well, it's a like with a thick coat of lust....but I need to ride 'em more before I can say more.

The pics: the first is her naked, and the second is of her in some naughty underwear. Don't forget that I said they're crappy pics.
Love the underwear, need one of those for me workspace. Thanks for posting me the pics Hoss.. The solo ride around the Rockies sounds mighty nice. Moots style. I'm gonna wanna hear all about that. I'm gonna vaca in the birth canal next year.

·
glutton for punishment
684 Posts
alienator said:
Well, Troy, I'm a complete dillhole. Someone said 18 spokes, and then I exercised congressional counting skills. There are 16 in front.

Can I do 2x with the H1 front hub and 16 spokes in the Reynolds rim?

Now please excuse me while I go remove my head from my azz.
Lowest White lists on their site is 18. But who knows - maybe Doug will do something special for Troy. Or Troy can just skip a few holes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.